Garmin Employee Reviews

Draconic rules
Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southampton1 March 2019
Garmin Europe -product support- is the worst work place i have ever experienced.

With its social clique of managers that pick their new friends to rise the wage ladder, the unapproachable and ignorant product support manager. the awful products pushed out and the revolving door of replacement agents for the last batch of walkouts.

The role is high pressure, incoming calls and emails from customers with broken devices that cost them hundreds of pounds with known issues, no known fixes and a string of excuses isn't helped by your team manager constantly cracking a whip shouting "Work Harder!" while simultaneously talking to their friends which they have placed all around them while writing poetry and avoiding any work themselves

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pros
free coffee (though its awful, but you'll need it!)
Cons
Everything else
Garmin typical day
Alignment Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS24 January 2019
It was an enjoyable place to work. Had great co-workers and great benefits. Was challenging but fun. The hardest part was keeping up with customer orders. There were so many products, it created variety in what you would do.
Productive and challenging place to work.
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS1 January 2019
Work at Garmin is regularly challenging and rewarding. Management is supportive and getting to contribute to developing products that are used by consumers is rewarding.
Buen ambiente de trabajo
COORDINADORA DE IMPORTACIONES (Former Employee) –  Estado de mexico28 November 2018
una empresa muy tranquila para trabajar, las condiciones de trabajo y prestaciones son buenas
Hoped for better
Software Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS26 November 2018
Garmin gets good reviews as far as a company to work for, and it is good. I just hoped for a better workplace culture. There isn't much team unity, comradery, loyalty, or social aspect. Basically, everyone is there just to punch a time clock. At least in my department, documentation, and sometimes design, is nonexistent, which leads to massive amounts of wasted time. If people aren't forced to do something, they won't. The culture is "push hard and get it done", which ultimately leads to having to redo things and than there is no clear design or documentation for the next guy. The amount of wasted time due to disorganization is amazing.
Pros
Company benefits, work/life balance.
Cons
Disorganized and lacks a culture where people care to improve the situation.
Stay away! Awful place to work!
Product support associate (Former Employee) –  Totton, Hampshire12 November 2018
I have never worked in such an awful place. There are so many things wrong with this company that it's hard to list them all.

I won't go into detials about my role as I fear this will get me into trouble but I was in the product support area which is essentially the area where you fob customers off with troubleshooting that doesn't really work! Most devices need replacing but instead they prolong the service so that they don't have to replace.

Management is the worse I have seen. A lady who runs the department still thinks it's appropriate to talk to people with very little respect and make you feel very uncomfortable! Yeh this job isn't for everyone as you are essentially being shouted at all day everyday by customers. This is one of the reasons that it should be a fun place to work rather than people point scoring or sucking up!

I used to worry about going in, what was going to be said, how I was going to be made to feel! That's not right.

This company does all the wrong things! Doesn't pay sickness, doesn't awknowledge when someone is depressed or has perosnal issues, no wellbeing, no vulnerable customers proceed and the office hasn't been refurbed since the office was bought!

If you want a job for a few months then go for it, anything more and your either nuts or desperate!

Good luck!
Pros
Good people!
Cons
Management, office, communication
Good benefits nice environment
Product Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR11 November 2018
The job is stressfull by answering phone calls and emails at the same time. Worked 3 years with no pay increase except cost of living. Benefit package was very good.
Pros
Working enviroment was clean
Cons
Always cold and no pay increase
Decent environment no advancement
Distribution (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS6 November 2018
Garmin distribution is a decent starter job or someone looking to add a few years before retirement but if your looking for advancement a degree is all that will ensure your chances. There is discrimination there however depending on how you look or dress depends on if the management takes a liking to you instead of basing it off of your work ethic. I’ve witnessed a lot of good people not get selected for advancements due to the management selecting less qualified canidates due to personal preferences .
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Bad leadership no advancement
Interesting first experience.
Product Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Southampton27 October 2018
I've been working there as product support technician, but when I've fainted one and only time and I've tried to give SSP form it was not accepted. I've been doing good statistics but my sickness has disclassified my from the role.
Oh Garmin, the sweet review!
Product Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS25 October 2018
I recommend this job to those that are starting out in their career (from call center positions to engineers). I would also recommend to continue to look for better positions within/ and outside once you feel you may be burned out. I have been here 7 years, and have worked in 3 departments. Pay is mediocre although health benefits are amazing. A typical day is from start to finish on the phones. You have 2-15 minute breaks that you are required to stay within. The Attendance Program is super easy and resets every quarter. Do not get on their eye site, and never cross a manager. They will quickly remove you from their company. Over my 7 years at the OCC, I have seen numerous key star employees be let go and banned after years of excellent service, and for the most unbelievable shocking reasons. A few examples: social media postings, new management not taking to someone, notifying upper management of any dissatisfaction, and whatever you do, do not feel comfortable to take advantage of their federal program allowing medical leave. You will be scrutinized, even so. Be smart where you apply. Great company overall, better management is highly desired. You want to feel a manager cares about your overall success and builds you within. You are on your own, so attend training/educational classes and prove your worth to other positions. If you know someone who works here, you have a better chance of getting hired. I heard a reply after 2 months of my initial application. I followed up calls, and once I heard from them, it was time for the U/A and I started training the 3rd day.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Training
Cons
Management, Changing their Culture, No worthwhile raises
Don't Do It. Stuck in the dark ages with unprofessional management
Customer Service Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Totton, Hampshire16 October 2018
Where do I start. I joined this company as a manager after leaving a long career as a fancied a new challenge. It started off great, lots of fun, enjoyed coming to work, then after about a month, I started to see the real Garmin.

Management talking to each other like rubbish, and to the agents on the phones. They shout at them questioning why they aren't taking calls, why they are in wrap and why they are not being quick enough on the phones. this place is horrendous. its hard enough got the agents to work to these strict KPI's let alone have the manager of the department pacing up and down giving people dirty looks, talking to people like rubbish and making them feel small. No respect. There is a "leader" there who breeds back behaviours and the other seniors think its ok to act like this.

The customers are fobbed off with rubbish excused about the awful service, no complaints procedure, customers are spoken to like rubbish and argue with them. Awful replacement service. if you nice new expensive Garmin product breaks, you got a replacement, a refurbished replacement, which I can assure you will break !

No benefits, awful holiday allowance, working hours are awful! 8.30-5.30 with 1hr lunch - NO BREAKS!

I had to get out, and when I handed in my notice, I was ignored and made to feel awkward coming to work. This place has a bad vibe, people literally stay for a few months and decide they cant hack it and feel mistreated. I had a Varity of conversations with HR who have tried to change this place for the better...

but there is only 1 problem, and that problem
  more... will remain and has done for sometime.... you'll soon work it out!

Save your sanity, don't do it! They have rinsed through most of Southampton now, hopefully this place will close due to customer complaints.
Pros
The agents, lovely people, on site parking
Cons
Everything! The location, higher management, processes, customer service, hours, no respect
Decent Place to Work but poor job advancement
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS8 October 2018
Garmin has products that basically sell themselves, but you are able to build relationships with customers. The biggest problem is that the promotions that are from within are bringing in associates from different areas of the company rather than filling jobs from the experienced, existing teams. This is due to perceived pressure for diversity from upper management.
Pros
Nice campus and good location
Cons
Poor job advancement opportunities
Great environmen and benefits
User Experience Designer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS6 October 2018
Garmin was a great place to work. Company culture and work/life balance were good at least in my position. They're a community minded organization and provide opportunities to serve the community. I'd recommend it prospective employees.
Pros
Benefits are industry-leading
Cons
Not much chace for lateral movement within the company, in my experience.
Great work experience
Product Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS2 October 2018
Very relaxed work experience at Garmin for the call center positions. Ordinarily, call centers are very stressful experiences and there is a very high turnover rate. That is not the case at Garmin. You feel like you are a valuable part of the team from the get-go. Dress code is very casual which is great. Pay for a summer product support specialist was $13.50 per hour.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Its a call center job.
Product Support Specialist/Mentor and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS26 September 2018
The people were great and very kind. It was a great, stress free place to work. The training for new devices were well planned and easy to participate.
Active Lifestyle Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS21 September 2018
Consumer electronics company where an active lifestyle is encouraged; from cycling and running, to aviation and marine.

Stable business diversified across multiple products and categories.
Pros
Family Friendly Benefits, Stable with Low Volatility
Cons
Production Cycles, Constrained Software Resources
A good company to work for.
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS13 September 2018
Garmin is a good company to work for, but very hard to advance because of limited positions available. Raises are very little and not guaranteed. A lot of good old boys giving benefits to friends instead of qualified employees.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Garmin it just like an office we clean computers desk a lot of etc
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR9 August 2018
This jobs are awesome I really like it we clock in work at the same time until first brake it take 15 minutes and w clean the whole building just second floor and w do as fast as w can make it up to our time but like as we did clean the room dest computers dust anything vacuum the floor wipe the table off with dowel w also have a card with anything on for cleaning stuff we also mopped the floor we do a lot of this in Garmin
Pros
Provide lunches
Cons
It’s an office
Garmin
Floater (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS6 August 2018
Garmin is the cutting edge of GPS and learning the technology that went into them was really neat. This company has a cafeteria and a gym for the employees to use.
The fast pace and team work makes for the work day to seem short!
Garmin is very big on team leading skills and building safe and practical skills. everyone is treated very fair and it is a causal dress code for everyone including the CEO.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Company that respects employees based on skill and performance
Software Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR31 July 2018
Garmin advances specialists based on yearly job performance reviews and conducts in-house interviews to fill promotional positions. Raise are also based on performance which naturally encourages employees who like their jobs to continue learning and increasing performance and those that do not perform well or do not like what they are doing at Garmin will quit of their own volition without encouragement from management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Garmin. Our community is ready to answer.