Gardewine

Gardewine Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews
The good and the bad
Good salary and benifits if you work hard but equipement and management is low rated
If you want to make good money while they have no electronic logging
Good place to work.
Enjoyed working there. Managment was friendly and laid back. Pay was okay. Some of the younger drivers were very entitled and had temper tantrums if they did not get their own way. Felt sorry for managment having to deal with drivers who were like little kids.
No good
Was good at the start but was there 7 years in deck Now just sitting a lot and not getting paid when it’s there fault A lot of down time with broken trucks And at the bottom of the chain for pay
fun work place
Gardewine was a slow paced work environment as they are Canada wide and i worked at the Toronto terminal which wasn't too busy while i was there.
friendly staff and nice people
Good place to work - good people
I really enjoy working at gardewine. It’s been 15 years and I’ve been able to work in almost every department. I’m currently sitting where I’m going to spend he rest of my time till I retire and I enjoy every second of it. The people are wonderful, the environment is friendly and comfortable. I enjoy going into work.
Started good ended badly.
Hauled chips for this company. I was lucky enough to get some decent equipment but unfortunately the maintenance at Gardewine is very poor to put it nicely causing lots of downtime.

The biggest reason I left was because of management. They will just tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone and the issue is never resolved. It was normally pay shortages or maintenance issues. I feel like if there was better trained management and less placing blame to other management at other branches it would be a decent job.

There is a lot of good companies out there that take care of there drivers/equipment and care about there customers Gardewine is not one of them do your research.
Great office atmosphere
A typical day would involve lots of phone calls and emails, you are always learning something new.
Management is always available should you need help.
Dock Worker
Brutal work environment, management (specifically dock foreman) is very unprofessional and unapproachable. Cursing at and threatening several dock workers. Very hostile workplace, every man for himself. The warehouse is very dirty and can be hard to breathe, especially in the summer months, boiling hot. Very poorly run company. Damaging freight is encouraged in order to save space loading trailers. Would not recommend.
It has been a great experience
I have been learning and improving my culinary skills with the help of gardewine. It is a fast-paced workplace but working here is challenging and helpful to your skills growth and job experience.
Will push you to your limits
The dispatchers at gardewine will push and push until you cant take anymore. I was running my log book out everyday and was asked to make up false logbooks to keep me running several times. Also my trucks were broke down more then they ran
Pros
Not sure
Cons
The dispatchers and managment
Gardewine is awesome
Everyone i worked with was easy going, helpful and organized. The management was very responsible about hours and what they expected of there employees. I would recommend Gardewine to anyone.
Dock worker
Gardewine was a alright place to work. The days where unpredictable there was never a set end time so that sucked . It’s also super dirty in the wearhouse and they don’t do anything about it. But over all met some great people and had a good time working there.
Worst job I have ever worked
way overworked, under paid, management doesn’t care about you or your concerns they preach safety until safety is in the way of production then they rush you. No team work everybody out for themselves! Avoid working here if you can!
Combination of workplace culture
It was OK. There was a range of pace at workplace. some days was fast-paced and stressful, but other days was more relaxed so you could catch your breath and get caught up on work.
Poor management
Work and mind your own business. If the manager threatens to fire you for no reason.. that's gardewine. The managers were most definitely bullied in high school and now that they have an "authoritarian" position they abuse it.
Generally a positive attitude.
Management understands that equipment and machines wear out and can break down. There are no endless investigations and interviews into why something went wrong. The attitude is "let's fix the problem and try to learn from what happened."
It was ok at the very beginning, until the Customer Service Manager quit
The Customer Service Manager who had been there for 15 years, was absolutely WONDERFUL and made it a pleasure to work there UNTIL she quit 3 months into the job, thus making it absolutely stressful for us in the Dept, where they just piled on the work with no extra pay!
Toxic work environment
Worked there for 10 years. No chance for any type of advancement. Too many managers that don’t care or know. Management will through you under the bus just to save there jobs.
Management is terrible
Lots of laziness
Hard to find equipment. Its left at all there other yards .

Dont waste your time. Kept out for 3 or more weeks at a time. So hard to find another job.

Management promises the world and delivers none
Great place to start
Dispatchers are good, company micro managed, pay is nickel and dimed, a lot of negativity. Trucks are old and not enough horsepower to pull the weight
show up to work, hope everyone showed up
no consequences if employees never showed. dedicated employees had to pull the extra. management never met with customers unless they walked through the door to pay bills. never did visits with customers to check on Gardewine's service
Pros
Cons
overcharging customer in shipping rates, lost a lot of business in doing so