GARDENWORKS Employee Reviews

A fun workplace in the sun
Apprentice Work (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 August 2019
I spent 5 years with GardenWorks and loved the whole time. It is a very fun workplace where you get to learn about all sorts of plants and gardening know how. The only downside is a lack of hours for new employees after the spring and low wages.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Low wages
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 July 2019
Loved my time working at GardenWorks, it's a great work environment, management is amazing, and everyone is super friendly. A great place to further plant knowledge.
This place is unbearably terrible and worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nelson ave Burnaby, BC25 July 2019
The management at gardenworks don’t care at all about the staff. Long time employees get cut hours and treated more like slaves. If the store isn’t making enough money then they lay-off people and cut hours. Leaves the few left to work extra hard and often left alone in a huge store. Not a safe place to work at all. Being alone late at night with no security in that huge store. Scary. If someone gets hurt don’t dare call worksafe because in the end you would loose your job. I would never work for gardenworks again.
Great company to work for
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Mandeville BC2 January 2019
The people were friendly and fun to work with, a real family environment. The company offers to pay for any schooling that will be beneficial to both you and the company. They send employees for first aid certification as well as forklift.
The company is lead by partners who actually care about your quality of life and will work hard to accommodate your personal situations. Working with plants and good people..what could be better. Plus they offer an excellent employee discount.
Simple job with minimal plant interaction
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 December 2017
Being a cashier at GardenWorks, for the most part, would be boring, which made me look for things to do. Tasks were quite repetitive and ringing up the purchases was not always as easy task as we had to remember codes for certain plants and items. I liked the breaks that we were able to have during the shifts and how I could handle some of the plants. The part I disliked about the job was how hard it was to make friends. There were already cliques and I felt like I was in high school all over again; surrounded by all these high school students, who at times would be immature. It was also difficult to bring a packed lunch all the time. I didn't appreciate the slack that some of my co-workers portrayed.
Pros
being able to have access to plants
Cons
immature co-workers
fun and very laid back, with amazing, educated workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 January 2017
a typical day at work included ringing customers through, dealing with certain situations and helping with tasks from other departments. My co workers were all super nice and made me feel very comfortable at work. The hardest part o the job was filling out the rental forms and going through that procedure. I love this job very much. It is an awesome place to work.
Pros
always food in the lunch room, super friendly employees
Cons
very slow during the cold season
Great place to work.
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 December 2016
Amazing place to work. Rich environment and staff. Staff are compensated as most retail environments do. During the height of the season there is little time for your personal life.