GardaWorld

Canada30 reviews

Found 30 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,658 reviews
gardaworldguardsecuritysiteshiftunionpatroluniform

Candy-coated BS

Pre-Boarding Screening OfficerA toxic work environment where you give someone a dinky uniform and they don't know how to act. A lot of high school like gossip among different groups of friends. There is real superiority complex among the employees, 99% of whom wouldn't cut it in a job where a uniform actually means something...police, military, CBSA, etc.It's an okay job. Don't expect to be properly trained or even within a timely manner. You will not receive the uniform they advertise in the job posting, they will expect you to provide your own uniform. Also, this is a part-time position with only 20 hours a week, they will tell you that you can get more hours but you won't. They will also say that this is a Monday-Friday position with no weekend work; this is a lie. As a new hire, you will work the 3/4am shifts all the time. I did not realize all this until I actually started the job and now am just sticking around to see if it gets better sooner rather than later...seems highly unlikely.

manger are tough to deal with

the managers don't care about you . there is always a problem with your pay and no one is there to help you out or take any sort of responsibility. in short the employees are nice people but the management sucks

Pros

good pay

Cons

mangement

Insights into GardaWorld

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager

Decent

Micromanagement, dealing with the public, unsupportive managers, favoritism, have to get someone to cover you to go for break or punch out, gossipy work environment.

Easy to get shifts

It’s pretty easy to get shifts even if you are casual guard. Becoz they also have lots of shifts available for the casual guards as well. There are many shifts available to choose and you can work in the environment that suits you. Other than that, if you have OFA1 or OFA2 then there would be better pay

It's a good job to have. Work is decent and pay is decent as well. Schedule is flexible. You won't get in trouble as long as you do your job. Can be managed

Disrespectful micromanaged workplace

Only if you desperately need a job. Micro managed. Only focus is on anything you do negative, so they can impose punishments. If you enjoy 1940's style management and being treated like chatted this is the jib fir you. Otherwise the salary is only worthwhile after three years. Seniority moves quickly as the average tenure of employees is 24 months.

Pros

Cons

Disrespect

Mindless

Terrible company to work for that underpay and will take advantage of their workers. They will double book shifts without coverage and leave one worker to do a 16hr shift

Horrible workplace

After the way this company treated me, I would never recommend anyone to work here. They provide barely any training, minimal communication and no use of force training even though in their ads say they do.

I enjoy my job, great flexibility, fast paced, and intensive training

I’ve worked with Garda since February 2022. It has its ups and downs like every job. I got fully certified in may just when travel made a huge comeback and it meant a week was cut off of my training because they desperately needed certified officers on the floor. It was stressful at first, but I learnt a lot being on the floor. The people make the job, and 95% of the managers I’ve worked with are real supportive and friendly. It’s great flexibility meaning you can work as much or as little as you like with the shift trade system. Pay could be better for the stress and dangers we are faced with, and considering we are technically essential workers (no airport security, no air travel) There is a LOT of oversight with CATSA which seems to be the biggest complaint but if you do your work to the SOP there shouldn’t be a problem. I’m in it for the long haul for now because I like being in a position where I know it is making a difference.

Fast paced environment, always changing

Everyday is different, co-workers are the best and worst part of the job. Most of the management is amazing, but they often promote the least qualified people to management

A reasonable company to work for

Management is usually mean as so many other companies and use/misuse the staff as required.If you have connections in the Management you can be promoted otherwise no chance.

needs professional managment

non at this time, even if they would listen. which no one at garda does. pretty bleak company. would be much better if employees were treated like human beings.

Meh

It's a typical security company. You will work with people who really shouldn't be in that line of work but are because the jobs are easy to get. You cannot live on this wage.

Pros

Free uniform

Cons

Low pay. Have to keep an eye to make sure you are paid for all the hours you worked.

Toxic dead-end work environment

Before COVID it was bad, but during and after COVID really exemplified how much the management really don't care for their workers. Horribly toxic. Immature management who brush off serious issues brought forward by workers, even if done so in the most professional means possible. Lack of proper training, which means the more experienced workers have to pick up their slack. Incentive "bonus" over the summer which means you can't call in sick even once, even if you're sick. Many times supplies run out including access to water while working.

Easy to get in

Good pay, benefits not good but not so bad. Poor management. Revolving door . Company very disorganized. Unionized job. Pay more than other companies.

Worst. I would give a 0 if i have to. You are warned

Worse management to date for YWG. They will take forever for email responses and dont care. Just an easy replacement for them, was called to rehire and wasnt given sufficient time to accomodate. Sent an email to ask, she went on vacation?!?! No one to pass this up to contacted management and head office for the prairies and no one had that answer not even the union. Lack of communication for sure. Probably the worst leadership ive seen in my lifetime 6 years for nothing

Not a good experience

Staff gets treated poorlyFavoritismTrying to get rid of youCan't maintain any contractsI didn't have a good experienceDidn't like how guards were treated

Pros

The pay is decent

Cons

Favoritism, inconsistent scheduling and poor treatment

Short staffed, underpaid

Short staffed, underpaid, gardaworld has rude HR reps that don't care about you, union doesn't care either. Pay wasn't bad back in the day but they never raised it in 5 years even though minimum wage increased

Boring

Less pay, I wish I had left earlier. Wasted my time in this company. Remote camps were good. Regular sites are boring and pay isn’t good or enough. Best of Luck.

Decent pay but not a forever job for me

If you want decent pay and repetitiveness this is the job. The other screeners you work with are really nice but it was really stressful and hard to come in. I wasn't motivated in any way to show up when I used to work here. The management wasn't the greatest and some of the managers are not properly trained. It's not a difficult job physically but it was mentally.

Under paid ,overworked

No job security, over worked and under paid,no sense of belonging,very partial managers and upper management, you feel discrimination,and discouraged. Pay is not even there to support you physically or mentally Passengers mostly rude.Lot of employee turnover.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement