GardaWorld

GardaWorld Employee Reviews for Armed Guard

Found 21 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,661 reviews

Mostly good people to work with

Can be tough at times, job is inherently dangerous given the nature of work, most co-workers are helpful, some are not. Stressful, but not unmanageable. Requires trust with co-workers.

Very Militant, but friendly

Not hard to tell from the beginning of your first day at GardaWorld that it is definitely not what you expect. You see these men and women on the road and at stops and think "holy s** they look bada*s. I definitely would not want to F** with them" then you get hired and go "well wtf was I looking at before?" Don't get me wrong. These people are very badass and very professional at their work. But like any other profession, they are human. They have lives and chat and goof around when time allows it. The union isn't very good but they do have us on a yearly wage increase which is nice. If you are a casual than good luck getting benefits or an RRSP contribution. And with the way they open full time spots, you'll be a casual for at least 2-5 years minimum. Unless someone screws something up royally. And even then it's based on seniority. Management is awesome where I'm at. Very friendly and will help you out anyway possible. Definitely 10/10 on that regard. Overall, if you like working long nights and days, and constantly looking at grannies hands for weapons to ensure they aren't going to either stick you up or walk you with their purse than this is the spot for you.

Pros

Daily OT, very high wages, good balance of life

Cons

Union, last min calls, On-call

Poor management and communication

Worked for this company for a total of 3 shifts. They then left me without ANY communication for over 2 months as I requested to be scheduled for more shifts before calling me in to terminate my employment just prior to my probationary period expiring.My trainer for the 3 days consistently complained about having to train me to my face. I told my manager this and then was never scheduled for a shift again.The only bonus to this company is that the pay is alright. Other than that I saw no positive to working for this company.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Poor management, safety and attitude of fellow staff

Good place to work but it is a union job and it doesn't matter how long you've been there you make the same as a rookie. Never dreaded going in to work and was over all a great experience. You can make a lot of money but you have to A. Get a chance at OT and B. Sacrifice all free time for the OT.

Pros

Good benefits package

Cons

Old equipment, disorganization, dangerous, doesn't pay enough for the risks

Unstable. Not enough work.

The people are nice, but there is no work. People rush to get done quickly, so management assumes they don't have enough work to do. They take work away from everyone else, and give it to the speed demons. The speed demons end up swamped because they are working unnaturally fast to begin with, and everyone else has no work. When shifts do come available, management plays favourites with who gets them. Some people work book offs every day, while others work once a month. Its very disappointing. Union is also useless.

Pros

Nice poeple.

Cons

No work/unfair work distribution

Don’t wast your time.

Horrible place to work. No safety standards and will throw employees under the bus. Vary back stabbing managers and union. Always threatening employees with termination for refusing unsafe work.

You'll hate being an Armed Guard

I was hired at the Mississauga branch as a casual hire, and what a waste of time it was working here for 6 months of my life. The entire facility is unmaintained and extremely dirty, the amount of black dust everywhere is a major cause for concern. The locker rooms are extremely filthy to the point that if you drop any of your black uniform on the floor for even a second, they will have dirt all over them. All their equipment is either damaged, faulty, or jury-rigged to barely work. Their entire system is ridiculously out-dated and everything is done manually in a program that looks like it was made in the 1980s. The trucks are constantly on the brink (pun intended) of falling apart, and there is always issues with them. The managers are very disorganized and really don't care about anybody besides themselves and maybe the full-time guys that lick their boots. The work culture is absolute garbage. People will step over you to get ahead, so trust no one. Everybody is talking about you behind your back, so if somebody starts chit-chatting and asks something like how many shifts you got this week, just don't tell them. They will complain behind your back and you'll either get shifts cancelled or receive not as many the preceding weeks. Don't make friends here, just do your job and go home if you are really that desperate. Everybody here is a back-stabber. If you have the pleasure (sarcasm) of working with a full-timer, they will rush you to get the job done because they get paid their 10 hour shift regardless of how early their work is completed. As a casual you will -

Pros

Look cool with a firearm, people think you're important

Cons

Bad hours, poor management, union politics, horrible work culture

no gratitude for extra work done toxic enviorment.............

you get treated as if u are jus a number ..no uion help as thy are close to managment..working condtions are unsafe most of the time due to the trucks are not safe......no matter how hard or long u hve been there management would fire u in the blink of an eye..no future if looking for fulltime....stay away try brinks

Won’t recommend

Union is basically on managements side, they won’t protect you if they don’t like you, lots of politics. Union members are working in the office doing management work with management, which makes no sense, that’s conflict of interest. Management does not fix anything, have fun on nights. Management is run by guys who don’t know a thing about effective business and business culture. Trucks have never been cleaned, always breaking down. People only complain about how bad their lives are. Pay is decent, not worth the problems. They expect work to be done in 5 hours on nights when your scheduled for 8 hours, makes no sense. Union won’t fix the runs and won’t do anything, unless it’s union steward runs, they will fix them, yeah lots of favouritism. Nights has the most issues, shop steward on nights won’t do anything for you, no point of even talking to him, might as well talk to a brick wall to get a response. Other so called senior members on nights won’t fight for their union members, but for management, hence why nothing gets fixed. Place needs classes on what a union is. They expect every run to be done under 6 hours, meaning speeding over 100km a night on residential streets, no breaks, doing the work carelessly, and working dangerously. Union workers are trying to get each other in trouble, how sad. Lots of issues with this location, very negative experience, best day was the day I left. There is some light with the election of the two brand new union members who are trying to change the culture. Really wish more people like that were working there and hopefully more guys -

Management is the worst

I would not recommend working here it has a toxic work environment. The new management don’t give a f@#k about you and your safety trucks are not safe and you work along side some real idiots that should not be carrying a firearm overall stay away try brinks believe it people you don’t want to work here

Jobs at GardaWorld

Armed Guard positions
See more jobs

Incompetently Managed and toxic environment!!

List of issues with this company: -Highly incompetent management -Safety concern for employees non existant -Culture of harrassment towards women -Unsafe equipment -Toxic work environment -Self serving union representatives

Managment will use you then get any one for cheaper rate.

It’s a run down Managment, no respect for employees and it’s all about them saving money. They are currently getting rid of full-time employees so they can hire part time for less money. They will use you then get rid of you just like that. The problem is the management does not stay long . They change management often .

Decent pay with zero advancement and little job security

I worked here 9 years. This place throws so much money away. Management is disorganized and will fire you at a moments notice. Its all senority based and the majority of senior employees are highshool drop outs.

Pros

Decent pay and philistine like management

Cons

No futue at a dead end company

Worst Job Ever!!

I worked in the Peterbourgh,On branch for 2 years as a casual. The place is a soul sucking back stabbing monster. Everyone is fake and will throw you under the bus to get ahead. Management/Union conflict is never ending. You will live by your phone if you want any shifts. Stay way! I warned you!

Pros

The pay is decent

Cons

To many to list

Armed Guard

The pay in nova scotia is higher than Alberta and all out west. Great job, great people, awesome pay, lots of hours as a full timer, medical, pension plan, and paid sick days. Customers are friendly, and good working rapport with company.

Pros

Paid meals after an allotted time.

Cons

Weekend work, night work.

Double standards

the small branches throughout the country make it hard for compant standards to be withheld. although it is a union company it still didn't feel like myself as an employee was valued

Horrible

No hours as a casual, sometimes you get one shift, sometimes three, or none. They always hire more and more people even though you are getting one shift and ready and able to work anytime! And this is the situation for people that have been there as a casual 5+ years with still no chance of full time. Don't waste your time! oh and the schedule is posted on wed evening for the schedule that coming sunday-saturday

Pros

I like the actual job

Cons

Very little hours, no respect for years worked, no notice for schedule

Poorly Run Company

I have nothing to say in regards to this company. They treat staff with little to no regard. Most management at the working level seem ok but have hands tied in the day to day dealings with staff.

Cool training, bad schedules

Training for 1.5 weeks in firearms and law before testing. Schedule is based on seniority (casual to fulltime night then day) have to do night shifts before getting to days Overtime is mandatory if you dont finish your run. Paid over time is 1.5x sometimes double time most of the guys and gals are nice Everything is rushed no benefits for part timers and casuals

Cons

Long hours if you dont know your route

A professional business........A fun team

Even though you were part of a potentially dangerous business with inherent risk, my colleagues where exceptionally social. I would arrive for duty knowing I had earned the trust, friendship and camaraderie of my team. They would have my back at all times. Being an armed guard can be stressful considering an attack or robbery of our precious cargo could occur at any time. You relied on your specialized training, your professionalism and your teammates to get the job done safely. At the end of the day, not only do you provide a service to the customer that is very unique and important but it is a service that only a select few individuals can offer. The training standards, certifications and licensing required make you feel you are part of an elite business. That's what makes the job fun.

Pros

great pay, work at your own pace, colleagues who look out for you

Cons

over night shifts, inherent dangers of the trade, strict timelines

Fun workplace with great people

Co-workers are really nice and management is very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling and meeting new people. It is not a regular 9 to 5 job; you have a specific start time but due to many factors such as traffic and weather condition you never know what time you will finish.

Pros

great salary

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7

2.5Job security/advancement

Compare GardaWorld with

• GardaWorld
  • Armed Guard
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?