GardaWorld

GardaWorld Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,690 reviews

Unionized, company hates that

Work is work. Supervisors are company men. You, as a number, are easily replaced. The supervisors make sure you know that. You pay a deposit for your uniform.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Management are idiots

Intolerance and biggits running a muck

I had had experience with GardaWorld Ottawa office as a security supervjsor between the years of 2018-2021. I can tell you that management has not improved

Great place to start!

If you are looking to obtained knowledge and experience for any type of enforcement then GardaWorld is the place. Great staff and people, friendly place to work, pay could be better, but you obtain lots of knowledge and experience from former military and police officers. I recommend if your looking for something more lenient, comfortable, and well balanced. Be prepared to work part time shifts at the start as it is a unionized company so seniority is apart of working up the ladder.

Pros

Make your own schedule, good benefits, good sites, friendly people, dispatch and management.

Cons

Pay, long shifts

Not a bad place to gain experience

Higher management is pretty terrible. salaries are on the very low side. They use the reasoning of you gaining experience vs making the market fair salary for the job. Pretty toxic management staff. come in, punch in, work your hours, and leave. good place to start but terrible to stay.

Not what you would expect from an employer

The concept of the position is great, the execution is flawed. The culture and work environment is tense, demoralizing and stressful. Officers are expected to do the same position for hours at a time due to "operational requirements" however, their SOPs states no longer than 30 minutes at any given position for focus and alertness reasons. Constant fear of being disciplined or having certifications removed (which means no scheduled shifts until recertified) over "fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants rules and an unmeasurable amount of favouritism.

Pros

Pay is decent

Cons

Very discouraging work environment

ok place to work at

When i started the company was small i had some good times at first but after a while i only got to have 20-30 hrs a week they almost went bankrupt and never able to advance in any position But that was long ago i can't speak for now but i heard they are better and have more contract and are in better hands.

Pros

good poeple i have met

Cons

really bad managing company

Very good job

Interesting job, pay is great but the hours is not stable.

Fun Learning experience

Acted as main point of contact for employees to address their concerns related to Human Resources policies & initiatives. - Provided advanced support to the Human Resources Manager in various areas such as: employee relations, staffing, training, policy compliance, as well as other corporate initiatives. - Utilized HR metrics and benchmarks to assess the effectiveness of the department and to exploit opportunities in recruitment, turnover rates and increasing employee morale. - Liaised with all departments and levels within Garda as it related to Human Resources.

Used to be good until mid 2015

Management are almost abusive. They try to bully and guilt employees to do things. The managers get worse the higher up you go and the owner is terrible. He fired 140 employees without cause because he refused to offer a fair contract. I would advise everyone to avoid this place. It used to be great for many years until the current owner decided to destroy it all. Run, run very far.

Pros

it's a job

Cons

too many to list

Poorly Run Company

I have nothing to say in regards to this company. They treat staff with little to no regard. Most management at the working level seem ok but have hands tied in the day to day dealings with staff.

Good Job but horrible management

I liked working as a dispatcher, unfortunately, the management team was not professional. hours were long, pay wasn't the best, inhumane expectations, and responsibilities for the dispatchers and guards as well. basically every three months you get a new dispatcher and another one leaves.

Cons

bad management

Horrible office environment

I worked as a security dispatcher in the Ottawa office. The behaviour from "management" was unbelievable. The management would cuss at security guards and dispatch staff on a consistent basis. They would also spread rumors and gossip about all staff. Working there was almost unbearable. I recall when a new member of the dispatch team was added, and instantly the gossip began. The new girl had an issue with the gossipping environment so she took it up with management within a few days of starting her new job. The management laughed in her face and as soon as she left, the management began screaming to other office staff, calling her a lying b**ch, saying that she's a loser, that she is going to get fired if she can't keep her anorexic mouth shut - all while a line of customers were waiting in the lobby, and they were hearing the entire thing. The management are bullies. If you EVER brought up an issue to them, they would make your life miserable, and they would degrade you and put you down in front of the entire office. They would also take away your hours if you brought a concern to their attention to 'punish' you. If you emailed manager privately about an issue, everyone would know by the next day, because they often read personal emails out loud to mock you. They were also VERY racist. The management would consistently tell me "book a GOOD guard for "location", they have to be white and they have to actually be able to speak english. Don't give ____ any shifts, he can barely speak English and he's f**king gross and I'm trying to get him fired." They would also -

Pros

Dispatching was exciting and fun, the guards were great to talk to

Cons

Long hours, made you work 12 hour shifts with only 8 hours between them, horrible management team

Management Review

Great group of people for the most part but lacks a structured upper management and cohesiveness. Difficult operating at my level without support from my immediate supervisors.

Think of yourself as the client

Working with GardaWorld, i have learned how to treat the client as it if it was yourself. They made me grow as an employee but also as a person

Life experience

most days are typical with remotes site work. Security staff learn as they go on the job. The management and coworker are always busy doing some sort of task. the hardest part of the job is being thrown into something you do not know about or what to do.

great job to be in and interesting

busy day of non stop day always on the go. learned how to be vigilant and to work great with other especially under extreme circumstances. management is great to work with. co-workers are easy to get along and do work with. the danger of the nature of the job. you are alway on the go and around the city.

Love the job

Each and every day is different I have new challenge. I learn everyday something new and enjoy what I do. Management appreciate my help in the task and have a great respect for my work very little they have to direct me. I most of the time initiate the task and perform to the best of my knowledge. The hardest part of my job is that very often I complete my task too fast and I have to find new one to keep myself busy. I enjoy my job overall.

Pros

Versatility of the job

review

over disapointed in the company,very misleading,poor p/r, job title taken away and given to new hire, put on the back burner

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7