GardaWorld Employee Reviews

Professional Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 December 2018
At this job, you deal with different situations on daily basis. The work you are required to do is quite simple and at the same time, you learn new things.
As Security Guard
Security Guaard (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2018
I have worked with this company for more than five years. I am satisfied with the management, scheduling and account department. Company always provided safe sites.
travail correcte
Agent de sécurité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 December 2018
travail agréable mais a temps partiel. il est difficile de travailler de nuit. le jour et le soir est bon.
Pros
travail constant
Cons
pas d'assurance maladie
Armed Guard
Armed Guard (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS4 December 2018
The pay in nova scotia is higher than Alberta and all out west. Great job, great people, awesome pay, lots of hours as a full timer, medical, pension plan, and paid sick days. Customers are friendly, and good working rapport with company.
Pros
Paid meals after an allotted time.
Cons
Weekend work, night work.
Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 December 2018
Really enjoyed this job. Great people to work with and great boss. Good money and flexible hours. Learned alot and gained alot of confidence working here
Poorly managed
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 December 2018
Poorly managed. Management do not listen to guards concerns or care about their employees. High turnover, poor training. Poor employee moral. Lots of favouritism. The job is good for temporary work. Make other plans to exit while working here.
Pros
Most co-workers are good
Cons
Poorly managed, low moral
It was a fun place to work.
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2018
I was a field supervisor/alarm responder. The job got very hectic at times, but I enjoyed every second doing my duties. The management was awesome. The only thing I didn't like about it, the pay was terrible.
Pros
Respect
Cons
long hours and not enough pay.
you just get paid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2018
Salary was minimum wage, hours were irregular and management rarely notified staff on time regarding change of schedule. They promise a 3-day turn around for such an event however it never happens.
Pros
long hours working alone
Cons
no regular shifts
Fun
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2018
Le point positif de Gardaworld est le monopole de la compagnie qui détient énormément de contrat. Par contre, vous êtes un numéro et une fois dans un contrat vous y êtes laisser à vous même sans pouvoir évoluer d'avantage.
not a very good company basically you just get paid
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 November 2018
same as above don't really respect employees just hires people for bodies that is all no chance ever of advancing. lies about the rate they pay to get you to stay etc.
Terrible management: poor salary
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON28 November 2018
Salary was minimum wage, hours were irregular and management rarely notified staff on time regarding change of schedule. The manager was new, but she did a miserable job and nobody was given the opportunity to replace her.
Pros
Cons
too many
Fun working environment
Patrol Guard/Front Desk Guard/Mobile Patrol Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary26 November 2018
If you work hard for the company they will give you a lot of security training... Working there as the security main reception. It really help me in dealing with people.
Pros
Good training place
Cons
fair working place
Good people
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
I worked for them for almost 10 years. I had many opportunity to learn new skill. The one con is most of of my "per-motions" were horizontal so I didn't really get pay raises. But I did have a opportunity to learn many new skills and the people I worked with most of the time were wonderful. There were a few bumps over the years as the company expanded and acquired other company's. However I would not trade my time with them for anything else.
Pros
learn new skills
Cons
Horizontal permotions
Misleading, manipulative practices pre or post hiring
Pre-Board Screening Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2018
My advice to all fellow professionals jobseekers involved with GardaWorld is to not believe the declaratory promises you'd be showered with after passing the entry test or even securing the RAIC card.
In my case and in many others, we were continuously postponed or rescheduled, with shallow excuses, so no genuine, real terms employment, or a sense for being valued for your energy was the theme of the day..Be prepared to have your time wasted on many trips to airport with no tangible progress for that given effort and also not compensated for your show-up on the first training days.

Be prepared to cope with a disastrous level of communication (or even condescending) when it comes to guidance on the live line or during the Screening Officer Foundations course, from the HR asstnt or other managers

No fairness in your bidding for shifts, so most likely you will be tossed onto the 00:00-05:00 ones and will be obstructed to organize major aspects of your private life.
Pros
good salary range for a security field
Cons
disatisfactory communication; no work-life balance
Training is terrible experience
Pre-board screening officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary YYC18 November 2018
When hired you are NOT TOLD that initially you are NOT guaranteed full-time hours. You are NOT TOLD that even when you have finished training you are still not guaranteed full time hours. You are NOT TOLD that during training if you fail just one test you are IMMEDIATELY FIRED and ESCORTED FROM THE AIRPORT. No second chances. Trainers don't want you asking questions...especially any question beginning with 'Why...?'. Management were great, the other officers were great, but the trainers and the CATSA trainers are fascist in their approach.
Pros
good money for security type work
Cons
Trainers are bad
Abysmal Management Situation
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 November 2018
Everything was going well when I first signed up, got the full uniform on the spot at the interview, agreed on a site I would go to and went home after being told I would receive an email confirming everything that was went over, the schedule ETC.

What I didn't expect was having to constantly email and call going straight to voicemail for three days just to get the email two days before I started at the new site, and whenever I try to reach management they never respond until the 2-3rd time I try to reach them.

When I get to the site I find out that there is no office, nobody to meet me on site until I called then they showed up 15 minutes after starting, no bathroom access on site and they actually expected me to bring my own vehicle to sit in in-between patrols when I was hired specifically knowing I had no vehicle. It is also a 12 hour night shift in Ontario Canada which isn't the warmest so after hours in the cold with no relief except for a poorly heated stairwell that reeked of weed you start to freeze, I lost feeling in my hands and was uncontrollable shaking as I couldn't warm up. That's not even to mention that Downtown Barrie Parkade has some "regulars" one of which is apparently violent and aggressive and also the area is known for it's drug problems with junkies and the like roaming the area with nothing better to do.

With no office access they expect me to kick these people out of the area if they don't have a reason for being there then want me to sit in an open area with no safe place to retreat to and call the authorities if anyone decides to come back
  more... violent or with friends when we live in a world where people decide to obtain a gun or knife and just off someone because they answered a way they didn't like. Not to mention having to walk 10 minutes off site just to use a washroom when I have to do patrols every 30 minutes.

Then I get told they had the office but another guard cost the entire crew at the room so instead of the single guard being punished or switched to a different site every single guard lost access, that the company was going to have a meeting with the city of Barrie to address my concerns about my placement and various others and have heard nothing since.

Now the person I have to email is gone for the week with no warning, I have no work since I have to wait for them to contact me, and I don't have enough experience for another security company in the area to hire me.

I have no idea how any other location works, I heard most are in the same boat, so the Barrie area should be avoided for Gardaworld. Do yourself a favor and apply to another security company or if you currently work there as a guard, jump ship and find somewhere else unless you like the conditions you already have.
Pros
Excellent supervisor, long hours working alone
Cons
Almost non-existent management, Poor working conditions, little to no training
I enjoyed working for Garda World
Security Supervisor / Health and Safety advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 November 2018
The camp I worked at was wonderful and I had a great respect for the company and people I worked with. The company was safety oriented and took good care of their employees
Pros
Camp position
Cons
Longer working hours.
Employee's are great
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON7 November 2018
The people you work with will be great people, Its corporate you can't deal with. Your pay cheques will often be shorted, They promise a 3-day turn around for such an event however it never happens.
Pros
Job
Cons
Sometimes you don't get paid
Operations nightmare
Mobile Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 November 2018
No longer has real management. The operations are run by someone who has no idea what they are doing with clients or personnel. Client care is out the window while employees are either abused or given preferential treatment for a select few.
Cons
Operations. Wage. Treatment.
Productive workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, AB6 November 2018
Working for Garda World is full of great learning experiences.
Even though it had his own challenges sometimes, the balance between social life and work worked out well in my personal situation.
Pros
Free travel vouchers
Cons
Long days away

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GardaWorld. Our community is ready to answer.