Garage Clothing Employee Reviews

Management was decent, just not the job for me!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 May 2019
Although there was efforts to make all feel welcome, I immediately noticed that many of the employees would talk badly of each other behind their backs. It was very uncomfortable to hear. Encouragement was provided when sales goals were reached/exceeded and the managers tried to make everyone feel appreciated.
I worked at Garage as a high school work experience program
Back room worker (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 April 2019
As Garage was a great job hiring process for diversity, I was lucky to be a part of the team. Due to the short period of working, I couldn’t remember very well about this workplace, but the challenging part of the workplace was job interview.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Limited lunch break
Good place to begin workforce experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2019
Team was nice to be a part of, very easy to pick up on and execute tasks. Fun environment and many fun employee exclusive events in which one can meet new people.
Pros
Good pay, nice environment, many opportunities to earn more
Cons
Hours can be overwhelming
Managment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 April 2019
unfortunately, my time at Garage clothing was not pleasant, aside from the people I met who were amazing, management could not get themselves together .. all of the people I worked with no longer work there as they all quit due to poor management
Fun and positive upbeat environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2019
It was a very happy place to work. When i would go into work for shift my coworkers would always say hello.

I learned how to open and close the tills.

The clothes and posters were very colourful leaving a very good welcoming when costumers would walk into the store.

A typical day at work would include me clocking in at the computers and having a 5 minute meeting with the mod. The mod would tell me any promotional changes or sales that are going on that i a may have changed when i wasn't working. We would go over my personal numbers ex: how many sales i made that week.
Pros
Management would give their employees gifts ( like lunch boxes) for Christmas
Was good in the beginning....
Stock/Visual Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 March 2019
GRG is not what it use to be. The district manager for my district is horrible and doesn't know the basic things that a dss should know. The management at my store has been inconsistent. Ive had 5 store managers, about 9 assistant managers and 3 key holders in 2 years. Theres a reason why no one wants to stay there. Nothing is good enough for those who are higher than SM. It doesn't matter how much you do, it'll never be enough. Those that deserve more don't get it. You do not feel valued as an employee of groupe dynamite.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
A positive environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 February 2019
A great intro level job, getting to learn about how to sell to a specific target market, learning how to operate different parts of a sales floor (fitting room, cashier, greeter, stock)
Pros
a 50% discount on clothing
Cons
not consistent hours
Fun, productive and amazing staff
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2019
I enjoyed working at Garage clothing as everyone there was hard working and easy to work with. We went through a few managers during my time there but i enjoyed most of them and felt like i had no major issues during my time there.
Bel emploi
Troisième clé (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC25 January 2019
Bel emploi, belle ambiance de travail. Belle communication des nouveautés et des marches à suivre
J'adore cela
Vendeuse (Current Employee) –  Trois-Rivières, QC4 January 2019
J'adore travailler au garage par contre certaine personne ne sont pas agréable.
Fun workplace environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON30 December 2018
A typical day at work consists of building positive relationships with customers, restocking merchandise, and keeping the store neat and tidy. The work environment is a very fun and girly, since the store is aimed towards pre-teen and teenage girls. My coworkers are the best, and I have gained some new friendships with all of them. I have learned many new things from this job, such as: how to have patience with customers, how to restock clothing, how to help customers make fashion decisions, how to open packages and put sensor tags on them, how to use the cash register to cash out customers and to do returns, etc. Overall, this job is a very fun job to have and I do recommend people to apply for this job if they love girls' fashion.
Retail
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON26 December 2018
This is a typical retail place where they want you to create miracles without giving you the tools you need to actually be successful at store levels.
Amazing
Model (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 December 2018
I love this store.i learned that it is okay to not like things. You work for along time the hard part it the sizing and all the phone calls to pick up
Pros
Cute clothes
Fun and friendly environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 December 2018
Great environment with friendly staff and managers. Learned a lot throughout the job including handling cash and doing daily cash reports. I'd have to say my favorite part of the job was learning visual merchandising and being able to creatively express myself through the visuals of the store.
Alright place to work at
Sales Associate, stock and Visual (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON27 November 2018
Like any work place it is what you make it. I got to create to great some great relationships that I carry on to the day. Management wasn't that great and moving up in the company is very difficult
awesome
Sales Associate-Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC9 November 2018
its a great place to grow i started very young with this company, it was a great place to grow and develop. i know it has changed a lot but i still think it would be a great place
You can do better than this company. Keep looking.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2018
As a store manager get ready to work doubles all the time along side childish teenagers who believe they can do no wrong, and do nothing but gossip and complain all day.
You'll be be paid a low salary so all those doubles that you pull will be for free.
If you don't mind babysitting your uncommitted, unprofessional staff whilst working for a retailer that sells attractive, but low quality clothes then go for it. However keep in mind this company has massive turn over even for retail. In my 20 years in retail I've never worked anywhere that is so consistently short staffed with such sour disgruntled staff.
They have multi layered systems for doing everything, 1 million forms and steps, and still in the end the result is mediocrity. There is a lot of wasted time and material in order to do things according to policy.
The bonus is also garbage if you can even make it as the targets are so high.
You can do better than Dynamite/Garage.
Be patient, and look for something better. It's a very cheap company in every regard. I would refer to my overall experience as 'ghetto'
Garage/Dynamite is the ghetto of retail.
Pros
Cons
The GHETTO of retail, unrealistic expectations, bonus for making your month is only $30, back breaking work load compared to other retailers for the same pay or less
Sales Driven Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta10 October 2018
Typical Day:
Come into work 5-10 mins early, put on your name tag, meet up with your current manager on duty(SM, VA, ASM, KHs) to find out what your sale goal is, any promo updates, what the store focus is today and what zone you're in.

Management:
If you are the Store Manager, it gets very stressful as there are a lot of things you will need to take care of each day (Visual, Markdowns, monitoring PT Sales Associate on the floor, monitoring KPIs, pushing sales, coaching, paperwork, etc) while trying to hit your sales target.

Assistant Managers probably have it the best as they are in between a regular sales associate but have minimal management duties to maintain their sales.

Keyholders have the second toughest position in the company as they need to maintain a high sales efficiency but juggle the combined responsibility of a Store Manager and Assistant Manager.

Workplace Culture:
The core basis of the culture is to provide a memorable connection with your clientele but in the end it is all about upselling as much as possible. The Regional Managers are tough on the District Managers to push sales aggressively and keep up with the kpis** as the District Managers are tougher on Store Managers to do the same. There are unrealistic guidelines to follow (Rachel, Alexia, My360) to obtain a great sale to the point you are harassing and annoying your clientele with the endless amounts of recommendations and suggestions being made.

Overall:
Great place to work as a part timer, to build up your sales skills and your social skills. You definitely need a lot of that
  more... in order to survive here. Organized company, trends are normally up to date, some are questionable but if you know how to sell an eraser to someone, you should do well. There is a lot of room for growth surprisingly.

Mediocre for Store Management Team. If your Store Manager is well organized and well trained (through and through), then it'll be a dream to work there but if they're disorganized with very little training, the team will not be happy. Forget about your time offs, there are so many black out dates that you won't be able to travel any where unless you're a PT or KH. So before you apply, don't forget about that and don't be surprised about it!
Pros
Pays well, breaks are great, discounts, learn a lot of selling techniques
Cons
Hours, Aggressive Sales, too many blackout dates
Not the best environment.
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 September 2018
I was not a fan of working at Garage. The hours were not accommodating, the shifts were not long enough, and I did not get paid adequately. I do not recommend.
Amazing staff
Sales (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 September 2018
I Loved this job! great discounts, such a fun atmosphere and great relationships to be made at this company. A very fun job for a young teen are older tween.