Gap Employee Reviews

Found 334 reviews matching the search See all 4,436 reviews
Great Pay and benefits; left the experience to be desired
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area8 December 2018
Great pay and RRSP matching program during my time with Gap

Lots of politics, restructuring and overall as a brand flying by the seat of their pants. Some upper level management were very supportive, others were unable to provide fair and consistent leadership. Stores were run with barebones budgets to help staff flagship and high profile stores often leading to a negative customer and employee experience.

despite changing titles to leaders - there's a lack of leadership culture from District managers and Regional directors - everyone still acts as a manager and often create additional barriers before removing them or inspiring performance and results from their teams
Pros
great pay, benefits and discount
Cons
poor upper management, lots of politics, no room to grow in HQ
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 July 2018
Working at GAP is all about selling, doing your job and that's all. There is no care at all by any of the managers about how youre feeling or doing, and nobody is ever happy working there. All sales employees only work there because they need the money. Lack of a family community at GAP, very limited encouragements or gifts for sales workers, never get any raise no matter how good you are at sales, and managers do not care for you. On top of that, at the GAP i work at, people get titled employee of the month, but get no benefits from it (no raise, no gifts, no 50% off... just a stupid title). I honestly think if you don't care about the community and environment of your workplace, then gap is an ok place to work at but I do not recommend at all.
Pros
Nothing, not even a free lunch ever.
Cons
no hours, no benefits, bad management, no care for employees...
Productive and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2018
TYPICAL DAY: On the floor informing customers of ongoing c promotions, maintaining the appearance of the store, managing store returns or helping customers in the fitting room.
WHAT I LEARNED: I learned a lot in regards to improving my communication, time management, and organization skills.
WORKPLACE CULTURE: Busy at times, but my colleagues were very friendly and made adjusting into my new job very easy. In addition, they were very accommodating to answering any question I had to help me perform my job to the best of my ability.
HARDEST PART: Helping many customers at once (especially if you are the only one available)
MOST ENJOYABLE: My colleagues and how friendly and helpful they were is what made my job enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible with my schedule.
Cons
Far from my home.
Easy to get stuck
Holiday and High Peak Manager (Former Employee) –  CA28 November 2018
If I could chose to never have worked for Gap Inc. I would have, its not that I believe they are the worst company but no one wants to work at a below satisfactory company. I was greatly valued their as a staff member by management but promises for advancement always came up empty. Company is trying to shrink and cut costs and corners at the employees expense. As the company struggles and has had to close many of their doors in the U.S. they have made many changes in the management board. I devoted many of my years of my early adulthood and although I had a degree in business management this was clearly to be put in better use elsewhere. If you are in high school or struggling to find a job just until you find your career dream job then it would be an adequate choice. But if your desire is to work in upper management and climb the business ladder, I would look elsewhere. Gap Inc. was once a great company to work for but as they continue on survival mode their employees are at the last of the list for changes. Its a retail job so perhaps expectations are not high, however be carful to not be like me and grow comfortable in a job that is not taking you anywhere and you don't know where the last five years of your life have gone. Good luck and I hope my honest truth was of any use.
Cons
Long hours on holidays, no work life balance, no room for growth, low salary, unless hired as full-time no benefits
Good, very easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2018
Customers were rude at times, pay was minimum wage and they gave generous hours. Management was really considerate, its just the work itself was very boring and required repetitive tasks and standing/walking around the store.
Pros
good culture
Cons
really boring
Productive learned for advancement
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 September 2018
Trained individual for advancement, lots of work to do especially during holiday season because it a multi cultural environment any individual contribute their own delicacies, it is fun !
Pros
free lunch
Dynamic Workplace
Dynamic Environment.
Team Building Activities.
New Trends Every Week.
Creative Freedom.
Pros
Discounted Prices
Cons
Micromanagement
No work life balance
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
No work life balance . Do not respect Management input. No appreciation for hard work. Some training and onboarding... expected to do little with much.
Pros
Learn business
Cons
Great work environment and learning experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 September 2018
The employees and management were all hard workers and always ready to help. Even if there was ever any issue, it was resolved immediately, and treated seriously. Aside from the occasional difficult customer, which comes with all work environments, it was a very fun place to work, and very enjoyable for a young person wanting to expand their work experience.
Pros
Insane discounts
26 September 2018

We love hearing experiences like these! Thanks for sharing!

Depends on store / management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2018
Worked at two different locations, first in Edmonton and then in Calgary. Edmonton location was fantastic as far as co-workers and management went (the actual job part was fine, I personally loved fitting rooms and displays the most as they were the least monotonous). Calgary (larger store) was horrible. Everyone already had a clique, and if you were good with one of the higher-ups they would take you to lake louise, give you the tasks/shifts you wanted, and generally be nice. If I did a task that wasn't asked for (after completing everything I was supposed to) it would be an issue - the micromanagement was intense. I would come right after my classes finished and occasionally be 1-2 minutes late. Despite me saying I could get there no earlier, I would still be in trouble and they would never change my schedule. Management was petty and unsupportive. Customers were often rude - especially if you were unlucky enough to work in baby/kids. Overall one of the most emotionally taxing places I've ever worked.
Pros
Nice co-coworkers, good music playlist, discount
Cons
prolonged standing, strict on having water bottles/food on floor, BAD management, nine hour shifts, rude/entitled customer base
Gap Outlet Central Canada Manager
LOSS PREVENTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Great Place too work for work life balance. Management excellent to work for. Travel is required for management positions. I have worked at Gap over ten years an it is a great company to work for.
Best work atmosphere that i have ever experienced.
cashier (Current Employee) –  Due22 May 2018
I absolutely love this job and what it has taught me. People who work here are so patient and kind, and understanding. A typical day consists of assisting customers with finding the perfect outfit that will make them feel confident and happy. Ive learned lots about the product, what materials work well with others, and a lot of procedures to do on the cash register. Workplace culture is upbeat, light and positive. We all help each other succeed. For me, the hardest part of the job is making sure i don't let anyone down. The most enjoyable part of the job are my co workers! they make every shift easy, and fun to do!
Poor management
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 December 2018
Gap has poor managements.They don't know how to manag with their associates.There is lack of acknowledgment .Their payroll and making cheques is also need to be manage.Cleaning is another big issue.
Pros
Wage per hour is okey
Cons
Gap need more manegement and highqualify, experienced supervision
Fun Coworkers but management could've been better
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON15 October 2018
Very busy and fast paced environment however depending on who you work with determines on how your day will go. Lots of relatively rude customers due to confusing the American email coupons with the email Canadian ones, be prepared for that. Managers were pretty understanding of situations but mostly wanted you to devote your life to the company. Unfortunately, there was a lot of gossip that happened and everyone knew everything that was going on with one person. Unfortunately as well, if you have another job or are in school, your hours get cut significantly. On the bright side there were a lot of potluck lunches for all the holidays and other fun celebrations.
Pros
Celebration lunches, decent hours, employee recognition
Cons
Very busy, rude customers, stock is crazy
23 October 2018

We appreciate hearing your perspective of working on our team. We've read your feedback regarding management and understand the vital role our leaders play in the experience of our employees. We will continue to provide resources to help our managers best support their teams. Thanks for leaving a review.

Work Experience
Part-time retail associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2018
Great part - time opportunity; Gap gives you the ability to learn and grow within the company. However, direction and communication of management could be better.
Pros
Great benefits, work culture, learning experience
Cons
Very busy and enjoyable place to work.
Stock Room/Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
Enjoyable place to work but the hours flucuate from week to week.The store management are fair. The schedule gets changed to night before your shift which makes it hard to plan your day.
23 October 2018

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We are constantly working to improve how we staff our stores and appreciate your feedback.

Enjoyable great company.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 November 2018
Enjoyed working here. Management was great and involved. Always understanding and supportive of their employees. A typical day involved being assigned to sections of the store.
6 December 2018

That's what we like to hear! We're so glad you have had a positive experience with us at Gap Inc. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

productive
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 October 2018
Gap is a very interesting place to work. You get to meet great and wonderful colleagues who are always there to put you through in every challenges. The management is awesome. A great company to work.
23 October 2018

This is what we love to hear! Thanks for sharing what it's like to work on our team in Brampton, ON. Thanks for all that you do!

Great company
Strong employees
Strong company
Great visuals
Great merchandising directives
Pros
Great visual merchandising opportunities
Cons
Quantity of product
Efficient and comfortable workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON10 November 2018
All the employees are so kind and nice. Everyone stepped up and did their part and there is always high amounts of energy from the staff. Management is very understanding and kind.
30 November 2018

We appreciate your positive feedback! We love to hear that your experience was a positive one. Thank you for sharing!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K