Gap Employee Reviews

good job
Cashier and sales associate (Former Employee) –  balzac17 August 2018
it was a fun working at the gap outlet store at Balzac cross irons mall as a part time job it was a good job with some extra benefits such as store credits
Depends on store / management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2018
Worked at two different locations, first in Edmonton and then in Calgary. Edmonton location was fantastic as far as co-workers and management went (the actual job part was fine, I personally loved fitting rooms and displays the most as they were the least monotonous). Calgary (larger store) was horrible. Everyone already had a clique, and if you were good with one of the higher-ups they would take you to lake louise, give you the tasks/shifts you wanted, and generally be nice. If I did a task that wasn't asked for (after completing everything I was supposed to) it would be an issue - the micromanagement was intense. I would come right after my classes finished and occasionally be 1-2 minutes late. Despite me saying I could get there no earlier, I would still be in trouble and they would never change my schedule. Management was petty and unsupportive. Customers were often rude - especially if you were unlucky enough to work in baby/kids. Overall one of the most emotionally taxing places I've ever worked.
Pros
Nice co-coworkers, good music playlist, discount
Cons
prolonged standing, strict on having water bottles/food on floor, BAD management, nine hour shifts, rude/entitled customer base
producive
Seasonal Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 July 2018
Some days are busy some aren't. Learned how to take stocks. It is a diverse place. The pay is decent and its a lot of fun. The only hard part comes during boxing day and black Friday.
No work life balance
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
No work life balance . Do not respect Management input. No appreciation for hard work. Some training and onboarding... expected to do little with much.
Pros
Learn business
good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC18 July 2018
Good work place fairly easy going staff and management and decent amount of hours. The staff room had a tv and couch which was pretty great to watch friends all day.
Second Family
Sales Representative & Cashier - Part time (Former Employee) –  North York, ON17 July 2018
The environment at the Yorkdale locations is always happy and inviting. Maintaining stock, store presentation and product knowledge were very important at The Gap. The culture is very blended and everyone feels like family. Overnights are the best and holidays are very busy and get messy.
productivity
Seasonal Merchandise Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2018
the hardest part of the job was the learning curve and always trying to work faster but if you stick it out its not bad, people are generally friendly and helpful if you have a problem or question
Pros
decent money
Cons
mandatory overtime
Good wages, fun job.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC9 July 2018
I liked the clothing aspect of customer service. I found that it was fun vibes with cute clothes. I had a lot of opportunities to learn within the company. I enjoyed helping put outfits together and liked that it wasn't always super busy but that holidays were packed. Fun people to work with. Easy to take off work and get shifts covered through an app.
Pros
salary
Cons
manager
Nice place to be
Brand Logistics Expert (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 July 2018
Good place to work. Good scheduling, nice managers, decent wage for the roles, good work life balance, nice perks with discounts at all related brands.
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 July 2018
Working at GAP is all about selling, doing your job and that's all. There is no care at all by any of the managers about how youre feeling or doing, and nobody is ever happy working there. All sales employees only work there because they need the money. Lack of a family community at GAP, very limited encouragements or gifts for sales workers, never get any raise no matter how good you are at sales, and managers do not care for you. On top of that, at the GAP i work at, people get titled employee of the month, but get no benefits from it (no raise, no gifts, no 50% off... just a stupid title). I honestly think if you don't care about the community and environment of your workplace, then gap is an ok place to work at but I do not recommend at all.
Pros
Nothing, not even a free lunch ever.
Cons
no hours, no benefits, bad management, no care for employees...
Very few hours from day one
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 July 2018
I was repeatedly told to ensure I knew which product was offered and to improve my selling techniques, but would then only be scheduled for 3 hours a month, regardless of my wide-open availability. This began from my second month in the position.
Cons
Few hours, very little encouragement from management
N/a
INTERMEDIATE BUYER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2018
busy work environment with a culture that embraces changes and is consistently trying to improve in the retail market.
-most enjoyable part of the job was selecting inventory for the regional stores and seeing it in the stores.
Was not a great place to work for me.
District Manager Western Canada & Maritimes (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
The culture was not what I excel in. It was more of a popularity contest. I did learn a lot and met a lot of great people. The travel was to spread out.
Productive and friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2018
TYPICAL DAY: On the floor informing customers of ongoing c promotions, maintaining the appearance of the store, managing store returns or helping customers in the fitting room.
WHAT I LEARNED: I learned a lot in regards to improving my communication, time management, and organization skills.
WORKPLACE CULTURE: Busy at times, but my colleagues were very friendly and made adjusting into my new job very easy. In addition, they were very accommodating to answering any question I had to help me perform my job to the best of my ability.
HARDEST PART: Helping many customers at once (especially if you are the only one available)
MOST ENJOYABLE: My colleagues and how friendly and helpful they were is what made my job enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible with my schedule.
Cons
Far from my home.
good
Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2018
it was a great work environment, the managers cared about us and we felt like we were a vital part of the company. The only issues were that its very hard to advance.
Working with younger people isnt all bad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON20 June 2018
I really enjoyed working with a younger group of kids considering I was 29 30 at the time and definitely learned alot from my younger peers. I enjoyed putting outfits together and making displays in the windowshower. Also due to working in the kids section and being a single mom I know a bit about infant clothing.
Pros
Working with younger peers
Cons
Not enough hours
Could be better
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 June 2018
Pay is decent if you have the guts to ask for it. Management is protected and untouchable. If you have an issue, even if it violates company policy- it will be down played and management will always be protected.
You have no say. As long as you work for someone who is fair and rational, you’ll be set. If you have anything other than that- good luck.
High turnaround yet little room for growth. They hire externally, refusing that there is internal talent.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Official response from Gap
26 June 2018

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Since the beginning, we've believed Gap should be a place where all of our employees feel welcomed and supported. We recognize that our leaders play a significant role in our employees’ experience. We recently re-launched our development planning program (GPS), and we're working hard to make sure managers are accountable for their direct reports’ growth and development.

Productive Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 June 2018
Friendly staff and easy to talk to, always busy and and interacting with customers. A typical day at work would be folding clothes constantly and helping customers.
Gap Outlet Central Canada Manager
LOSS PREVENTION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Great Place too work for work life balance. Management excellent to work for. Travel is required for management positions. I have worked at Gap over ten years an it is a great company to work for.
Fast paced but fun work place.
CASH SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2018
- A typical day at work includes greeting customers and making sure that they are satisfied as well as keeping the entire store clean.
- I learned more about daily goals and how to operate and close the cash register so that it will be ready to go the next following day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K