Gap Employee Reviews

Boring, Tedious
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2018
Working at The Gap was not the best experience. I often had rude customers and management was never willing to deal with it. Very rarely I would get schedule and when I did, It was on a day I previously mentioned management not to schedule me.
Pros
discounts on clothing
Cons
long standing periods of time, rude customers, rude management, unappreciative partners
retail store with modern basics
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
I worked on the kids/baby floor at Gap Bay and Bloor. My responsibilities varied from greeting customers as they entered the store and helping them find items they need. I worked as a cashier as well and checked customers out, as well as making sure all the clothing displays were neat. There was always a company supervisor available for contact on the floor. I learned to adjust to situations in which the customer is displeased and that a customer truly appreciates the help of a sales associate offering their opinion on a clothing item.
Pros
good location
Cons
not enough hours
Folding, Folding and more Folding
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2018
On a typical day one spends 90% of the time folding clothes, which is find and understandable. It is a clothing store after all. The rest of the time is spent with customers, which is the highlight. Helping people feel their best is fulfilling.
The Management gets moved from place to place and can be overly harsh on people who are new to the company and are just learning.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Productive workplace with helpful managment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2018
Workplace was fun, great coworkers and flexible schedule. Management was helpful and understanding of having to balance school and work, so hours are very flexible.
Amazing retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
Learnt a lot as this was my first job in Canada. Learnt how amazing people of Toronto are and at the same time shopping at the back of your head all the time.
Pros
big store
Cons
short lunches
Retail is BORING
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON7 April 2018
Honestly, I worked at Bayview Village Gap and it is the worst place to be. It is boring, time goes by so slow, and management doesn't accommodate to students who need to take time off. They expect so much from you just for the minimum wage of $11.10 that I was getting during the time that I was working. NOT recommended if you're someone who likes to keep busy with customers.
Good job for part-time employment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
Gap provided me with a good foundation as a part-time employee. It can be fast-paced or slow throughout the day, depending on what time it was and the client's work schedule.
Fun atmosphere with a great staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2018
The staff at The Gap, Bayshore consist of great people who take the time to care about each individual that walks into the store. Great learning environment that allows a flexible work and life balance.
good environment and meet different culture
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 March 2018
There are lots of things that you have to do it every single week which make you bored and you do not use your brain and skills to work at retails. But in total is a good place to work in retails and store field.
It was amazing.
cashier, help customers (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON23 March 2018
The management was amazing, and a typical day included cashing out customers, helping customers in the fitting rooms, folding and keeping the clothes neat and tidy, and helping customers with any questions they have.
Once strong player in the retail market, trying to find it's new place.
Assistant General Manager Merchandising/Operations (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2018
As an employee for over 10 years, I have seen the many ups and downs of Gap Inc. A typical day has changed over time for the store's leadership team, as they have become more of a high priced sales team, and less of a functioning group of people who all have time to get their individual jobs done.

While I can say that I learned a lot about business and the industry during my time there, I can't say the same for anyone who has joined a store team in the last 3 or 4 years. While you were given the opportunity to learn as much as you wanted to 10 years ago, now there is rarely enough time given to do mandatory tasks. Some days, the store couldn't even be swept, let alone have a monthly Joint Health and Safety meeting.

It is hard to find a good work/life balance as many store leadership teams have been dwindled down to a small group. Some weeks, it is challenging to find 2 days off while also being able to complete company mandated tasks.

While many of the part time employees become friends outside of the business, the leadership teams have a hard time making real connections with one another as they rarely work side-by-side and are often left negotiating to see who will get their 30 minutes to complete tasks associated with their own job title.

While I enjoyed most of the time I worked for Gap Inc, and will always remember the people I worked with, the company seems to have lost touch with its in-store teams, and does not seem ready to invest in them.

Many high ranking store positions are now filled through outside hires as there are too few seasoned
  more... employees left to teach/coach/mentor staff and help them along their career.  less
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
No room for advancement.
Repetitive and not rewarding
Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 March 2018
The job requires you to constantly attend to the same tables and walls as customers will constantly ruin everything. Management is alright, no real gripes against the managers.
Challenging Work environment
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 March 2018
Working for Gap Inc was challenging yet rewarding. Chances for advancement were not as frequent as I had hoped. However, the culture was amazing and the employees were always friendly.
productive workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 March 2018
• Greeted and welcomed customers
• Answered customer inquiries about products
• Addressed customer concerns effectively
• Kept shelves stocked and tidied
• Unpacked and sorted clothing items
• Kept workplace neat, organized, and safe
• Assisted customers in fitting room area
Excellent team skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
GAP company was able to provide me opportunities in engaging with new people, learning how to solve problems independently, gain confidence in speaking to new people, as well as learning how to organize and use my time efficiently. The responsibilities of being a sales associate consisted of greeting customers, being a cashier, stock and restock merchandise, and provide a safe, enjoyable and appealing environment to customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging with customers and other employees, it creates a welcoming and fun work environment. Additionally, most employees were approachable and dependable when you needed help.
Pros
Nice managers, friendly team, great employee discount
Great for a first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
For someone looking for part-time work I think the GAP is a great place to start. Hours a flexabile. Staff, from what I can remember, were very nice. Good Place to start
Gap
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON13 March 2018
This job only had me folding clothes and greeting people unless they were the to ones to offer you a job and interview otherwise you shouldn't take this job through a program because they won't hire you
Easy to work at but...
Sales associate/ Shipment (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2018
In my experience, working at gap factory has been easy, my co-workers are nice. Yet the only problem I have is that I didn't get the hours for the amount of availability I have, I'm available almost 24/7 and I only got 4-8 hours per week. The worst thing was that they put put up a hiring sign like every 2 months.
Pros
The employee discount
Cons
The hours given
gob warehouse to work
Associate Inbound (Current Employee) –  brampton9 March 2018
warehouse is very good and management people are very nice. a good place to start your work at. they provide good merchandise discounts to all employees.
management
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 March 2018
A good company to work for. They helped me through a tough time when most managers quit and I was the only manager left on the team. Gap's other store leaders came out to help and look after my team when I was not there. It was a good family environment feeling while working for Gap Inc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap. Our community is ready to answer.

52K