Gannett Employee Reviews for Graphic Artist

Not Worth It
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Indiana29 April 2019
Gannett's whole approach to the newspaper business is not unlike that of a fast food restaurant. Get things out fast, pay as little as possible, and make every newspaper look the same across the country. It's journalist junk food and you won't be good at quality material if your experience is based on churning out this gruel.
Pros
Coffee and tea are provided. Benefits are moderately ok.
Cons
Horrible pay with no potential to grow.
Laid Back Work Environment
Graphic Artist 2 (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN11 September 2017
Laid Back Work Environment, work with scheduling, no micromanaging, work at own pace, needs better pay, needs more growth opportunities, overall good place to work.
Toxic company
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TN3 July 2017
Worked there for nearly 14 years. Not bad until required furlough days, 6.5% pay cut and pay freeze in 2009. Saw too many good people eliminated or leave because of cutbacks and unrealistic pressure on sales with little or no compensation and broken promises. Only real support you have is your co-workers. In the last 2-3 years (before my position was eliminated) nearly EVERYONE was looking for another job! Most of the great co-workers I had have moved on to better opportunities and are happy in their current environment. Even those who are still unemployed are happier!

Not a company I would recommend for ANY position. But, if you like a company that is infected with the sickness of greed and sees people and product as expendable items, this might be a home for you.
Pros
Few
Cons
Corporate sees only numbers and dollar signs, not people and communities
Overall a very nice experience
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN8 February 2017
The place is very organized. At my workstation I had software that brought the newspaper ads I worked on to me. I did the necessary tasks and the system brought me the next ad. Management was always accessible. They worked with me knowing I was going to school at the same time. The hardest part of the job was an ancillary item. I disliked having to park so far away and pay for it besides. The most enjoyable part was the minimal pressure I felt. Many of the artists new to the job market thought the pace was rough. They just haven't been around.
Pros
Very interested in my input about things.
Cons
Sometimes there was too much burocracy.
Horrible
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, Iowa10 July 2015
The ONLY good things about working here are your co-workers. They are very talented folks and you can learn a lot from them. You spend most of your day changing ads. There is very little creativity involved. It's a good place to get some experience.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Low pay, short breaks, bad work-life balance
Low wages and excessive overtime, combined with corporate shakeups created a poisonous work environment
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN13 April 2015
This is where creativity goes to die. You're expected to work on 30 ads a day, or more so, you are working ridiculous amounts of OT with no raises, we are paid ridiculously less than the average pay for a job like this. Its a poor environment. No wonder we lost 20+ people in the past 3 months
Pros
great insurance
Cons
short breaks, 10 months straight of mandatory 5-10 hours of OT
Great for Entry Level Experience
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN27 January 2014
I started with the company before I graduated school. In that time, my skills have grown exponentially thanks to the constant day to day grind. It's been great to sharpen my program skills and develop as a designer.
Pros
Great starting experience
Cons
Very little opportunity to advance
Graphic Artist
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN16 October 2013
A typical day consists of quickly and effectively creating and correcting ads for various customers.
24 years of service
Operations Supervisor / Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Cherry hill NJ3 June 2013
After 24 years of service laid off and then they hire 3 part timer employees. All about saving money company has no loyalty.
Pros
reading material
Cons
no loyalty
26 years no security
Operations Supervisor / Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Cherryhill Nj30 November 2012
Daily news and ads for the newspaper.

Learned management

Good people in a bad economy

Ad sales

Advancement
Pros
daily news
Cons
everyday a paper