Gannett Employee Reviews for District Manager

Stay Away.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NC11 October 2018
Don't waste your time. The management here is horrible, they treat you like you're irreplaceable, and then when you point our their flaws and want to improve the job. They'll throw you under the bus faster than you can blink. Newspaper Delivery was something I've done my whole life, and in a dying industry, I tried giving it all I could.
If you want to work 12+ hours a day, not have time off, because you'll be working 24/7 with the emails, phone calls and daily problems, if you want to be constantly told that you're not doing your job, and then be told that they made a mistake hiring you and they want to hire REAL District Managers. Then, this is the job for you.

Sad Part is, i loved my job, i truly, genuinely loved it. Unfortunately, I was miserable.

Stay away from the Asheville Market.
Pros
Insurance is decent.
Unorganized, Negative, Unsafe, Does not value employees, terrible management
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV16 August 2018
Gannett is supposed to be a goal oriented company. This job requires long hours, overnight, and risking yourself getting hurt specially when it snows. There are no opportunities for advancement, the pay is not good, and the people are very difficult to work with. A typical day includes tons of driving in dangerous neighborhoods. While this has been an experience that I've never had, the environment is not a welcome one. As a manager, you work in very close quarters with the other managers, and unfortunately this company does not provide management training or require regular evaluations of employees, making it hard to work as a group. Horrible place to work at.
The hardest part of the Job
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NY16 July 2018
The most difficult part of the job is the hours required to do the job properly. Long work days are expected. It was difficult to maintain motivation at times.
Typical Bottom Line Focused Job
Assistant District Manager - The Indianapolis Star (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN8 January 2018
Only care about making/saving money. Cares just enough about customers to make the employees feel underappreciated. Often dangles promotion then gives it to an under-qualified individual because they can pay them less.
Pros
Decent PTO and Benefits
Very unorganized place
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MD18 April 2017
This was a very unorganized place, they are definitely looking for the person who will work for the least amount of money to do the most amount of work.
Typical warehouse duties
Assistant District Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, OR5 April 2017
This company would be great to work for if they provided job security and promotions. They also do not offer full time to their circulation department and expect full time work. No benefits are offered. And you will never be promoted within the company. I have worked for this company for 7 years and still am at the same pay and same hours.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Cons
Not challenging, very negative people
Assistant District Manager (Current Employee) –  Arizona24 February 2016
This job requires long hours, overnight. There are no opportunities for advancement, the pay is not good, and the people are very difficult to work with.
A typical day includes clerical work, strenuous physical activity, customer service, and tons of driving. While this has been an experience that I've never had, the environment is not a welcome one. As a manager, you work in very close quarters with the other managers, and unfortunately this company does not provide management training or require regular evaluations of employees, making it hard to work as a group.
Gannett is supposed to be a goal oriented company, however this has become grounds for too much competition and resentment where there should be none. Many of these employees have only ever worked in this company, making it hard for them to adequately judge how to handle situations.
I don't mind working overnight, since it allows time for family events and holiday traditions during the day (Gannett does not close on holidays, so you're required to work).
For me, the hardest part of the job has been my co-workers. Most are very negative and unnecessarily competitive. I love working with different people and the customer service part of jobs, however this company has been the first time I have felt challenged enjoying this area of work.
Cons
low compensation, not friendly people, no employee evaluations, no advancement opportunities
Productive and Inspiring work place
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH23 September 2015
I love my job at Gannett Publishing, however, working third shift really does not fit my life style. It is a great company to work for, but you always feel like your job is at risk due to the economy.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
third shift hours
Great customer base
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SC27 October 2014
The hardest part of the job was finding a balance between work and home.
great workers
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZ20 July 2014
the carriers made it easy and fun to be able to complete my job safely and acurately every single morning.
Ok company for a single person
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SC1 January 2014
I am seeking opportunities where I can effectively utilize these skills with an environment that includes opportunities for advancement
Long working hours, very little family time, no days off, great co-workers
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NC8 December 2013
Wonderful co-workers who support you and back you up, a great deal of mileage and wear and tear on your vehicle-constantly replacing tires and car parts, vacation time available from day one, but you have to use this to get a day off. Very long hours, there is no end to your work day, you have to be available to email, text, and phone at all hours (company provides iphone so you are always available). This is a third shift position but you also work part of the day as well. Very rarely work less than 60 hours per week. Very little time to sleep. Physically and mentally demanding job, 9 out of 10 nights you are on a paper route along with your management job duties-sometimes 2 routes at a time (7 nights a week for weeks or months). Great direct Supervisor-is working right there with you, other supervisors/managers do not help unless an absolute emergency, they put in short days with weekends and holidays off. We do not get any holidays off and no alternate holiday days in their place. Regular scheduled days off do not happen and no alternate or replacement days are offered. Salaried position so you end up averaging less than minimum wage most of the time.
Pros
Vacation time available from first day, medical/dental offered, 401k available. Direct Supervisor is wonderful and works just as hard.
Cons
Almost never off, high turn over, unreasonable expectations on people, no family life or down time, salaried position no matter how many hours of physical labor you put in.
Enjoyed working with co-workers.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY26 August 2013
Hours = 1:30am to 9:30am
Deal with Independent contractor issues - no shows. Answer questions concerning Independent contractors.
Distribute papers and all other inserts in a timely manner.
Learned how to deal with people both co-workers and customers.
Best part of job was working with people you like and respect.
Hardest part of the job - Independent contractor no shows.
An interesting company to work for.
Lead District Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NY13 August 2013
Nice place to work.But not too challenging as I wanted. Great experienced with my colleagues, especially their hard work and team spirit and co -operation I enjoyed with them.
Pros
Proximity to home