Gannett Employee Reviews

Big company life
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN8 March 2019
Working in a large company is what it is. It's great some days, not so great on others. People that stay do it because they love it. If you love it enough, you'll be fine.
Not enough employees to handle calls
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY8 March 2019
This job seem promising when I accepted the position, however once I started working it was not what it seemed. I was put onto the phones in less than two weeks after barely learning the systems. The training environment was good but the rush to get us on the phone was unreal. They clearly do not have enough employees to meet the demand of their customer base, customers generally wait almost two full hours before they are able to speak to you and are very upset when they come on the line. Overall decent pay, stressful job.
Pros
Friendly training staff
Cons
Dirty work environment, call center floor. Rushed training. Not enough employees to meet customer demand.
Friendly, fast-paced working environment
Print Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ17 February 2019
Design Studio in Phoenix was fast-past and encouraged creativity in designing bold presentations. Meeting targeted deadlines while working on multiple daily newspapers.
Pros
Telecommute
Cons
Fast-paced
Easy place to work.
Independent Contractor/Driver (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DE16 February 2019
If you don't mind getting up at 3 every morning every day of your life then this is a good job for you. The only thing is that they are trying to phase out the carriers and all the customers will be getting the newspaper on the computer.
Pros
Work on your own
Cons
No vacation or benefits
Was a good place to work until all of the cuts/layoffs
Senior Analyst Enterprise Support Level (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VA12 February 2019
Gannett was a good place to work about 10 years ago, when the newspaper industry was thriving. Now with all of cutbacks and layoffs most papers are working with a skeleton crew.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No job security
great place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SC5 February 2019
Easy to maneuver through the system. Good place to build a great career, great coworkers, excellent benefits/ commission as long as you do your part. Good company to work for.
Micro-managing & lack of support staff
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Delaware26 January 2019
This was a great position when I was first brought on board. However, within the first year the team I worked with was cut down from over 25, to about 10. From there, in the last 12 months that number is in the single digits. Reps are expected to do 3 different jobs, including hitting 125% of goal - or else.
Pros
bonus pay, flexibility
Cons
time management, goal expectation, upper management style
alot of short breaks between production. A lot of free food during busy times. Work out room.
Mailer/Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NY24 January 2019
Safety check on forklift. Make sure all product was out and ready for production. Unload and store all product from delivery trucks as needed. Supply all machines for upcoming production. Assist in the production of daily papers if time permitted. Time management was essential and a little help goes a long way. The most enjoyable part was when the production was done. Satisfying knowing job was completer and the carriers were on there way. Great management team really new there stuff.
Pros
Frequent short production breaks. a lot of workplace food and a workout room.
Cons
Alot of equipment malfunction and a lot of no shows for work.
Warning...don't apply in SW Florida
Sales (Former Employee) –  SW Florida20 January 2019
You will never make enough to make ends meet. Once you start selling to larger accounts they will strip them away and leave you with failing accounts. No advancement....RUN!!!!!
Pros
Pto
Cons
Low Salary, Poor Health Insurance, Uncertainty
great part time employees
Lead Forman (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI17 January 2019
I loved working with the people, hardly ever got breaks because always had to have things ready for part time to get packages done for the upcoming week.
Find another job, anywhere else.
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI17 January 2019
Lost my jog because they moved the company to Milwaukee.
I worked there for 35 years. We all went eight years without a raise. I asked myself how much longer I would work there with no raises
I wouldn't advise anyone taking a job with Gannett.
Loved TALK Magazine!
Account Executive, Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC16 January 2019
I enjoyed my time at Gannett. Our commissions were cut, bonuses were as well. Love the company, manager, etc. And my team was the best! I would still be working for TALK/Gannett if the pay had remained the same or close.
productive work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC15 January 2019
I really enjoyed this job, great pay plus commission. great work place and safe. good benefits, great staff. also great schedules. I would reccommen d
Management sucks
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, TX8 January 2019
The whole management sucks. They don't care about their employees. They don't care that their employees are lazyl and don't do their jobs expecting the rookies to do it all for everyone else. SCREW YOU.
Not a place to work if you want respect or advancement opportunities
TRAINING AND RECRUITING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY7 January 2019
Gannett had a lot of potential, but I didn't get a chance to grow and develop within my role as I had planned. Management was disengaged, disrespectful, and flat out didn't listen to employees, regardless of your status or tenure within the company.
Pros
Cons
management, environment
Fast Paced and Competitive
Technical Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC5 January 2019
The calls became overwhelming, due to constantly adding newspapers. Commission was available but the metrics changed often. We were allowed to change shifts with other Representatives.
Pros
Flexible schedules and Casual Attire
Cons
Short lunch break
An energetic environment
Administrative Assistant/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  110 Fredericks St suite 400 Greenville SC 296073 January 2019
The enjoyable part of the job is meeting customers and providing excellent service. Typical day at work is basically the same thing daily sorting mailers, Positive work place attracts happiness and satisfaction. I love my job because everyone is dedicated to the mission and enjoy helping others. Management shows great concerns when dealing with something fragile.
Pros
Free meals occasionally
Cons
Health Benefits
AD Production Sweatshop
Digital Media Designee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA22 December 2018
I would highly recommend to stay away from this company it your an artist. Management will present your ideas and give you little to no credit. If you enjoy not talking to people all day long and being a robot this is a great place for you. No incentive for going above and beyond.

Meetings held on Monday's within just your team management just talks about numbers yet when you ask what they mean they have little to no explanation of why you would want better numbers. Management have no clue what's going on with the company and won't inform it's employees.

You don't receive any type of incentive to go above and beyond. Raises are not based on an individual basis but on a group basis so your ability to move up from doing more ads each day is irrelevant. Sometimes you don't receive raises that year.

It's a great place to work if your looking to do much of nothing with your design career. For the first 6 -7months of this position I was sat at a desk and very rarely talked to.
Pros
Great macs
Cons
Work environment, No growth, High turnover rate, Poor communication
Loved the job
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WI22 December 2018
I worked at gannett from 1999 to 2017 great coworkers. Learned alot from supervisors to partime everyone was treated the same. If it didnt move to Milwaukee id still be there. Very one was treated like family
Pros
Flexable if you needed of 90% you were able to have off
Cons
They moved to milwaukee
Great Benefits
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SC19 December 2018
This job was stressful but offered great benefits and commission structures! The commission was good and enough to take care of my family. I would not recommend for people that have low tolerance or stress levels

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.