Gannett Employee Reviews

Not Worth It
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Indiana29 April 2019
Gannett's whole approach to the newspaper business is not unlike that of a fast food restaurant. Get things out fast, pay as little as possible, and make every newspaper look the same across the country. It's journalist junk food and you won't be good at quality material if your experience is based on churning out this gruel.
Pros
Coffee and tea are provided. Benefits are moderately ok.
Cons
Horrible pay with no potential to grow.
Chicago Office Summary
Office Manager/Sales Admin (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL26 April 2019
Just recently got into my new role here. Overall, my experience is so far more positive than negative. Management does give a hoot. I'm not dealing with any manager that doesn't listen nor degrades me. I feel valued in my position by my managers. My role works with everyone in the office but only in the most basic ways as I'm an Office Manager/Admin so I probably can't speak to the nitty gritty of what really goes on but for the most part everyone here is very hard working, fast-paced and extremely motivated as these are young sales people after all. One thing I don't like is how every department is very cliquey. Granted, this has happened at every job I've ever worked at but we are trying to integrate the entire team in the Chicago Office. My two managers for the most part are really great. My one manager seems like he may have a temper sometimes but I think he just deals with stress differently than my second manager. There are also some sour fruits with bad, negative energy here that have worked here for years but that goes to say for most offices. What I like is that I don't get micromanaged but I do have to check in with my managers. Also, sometimes I feel like people look down on me for what my job requires me to do but I think that goes with the territory of the position. We do get weekly lunches and as someone who is responsible for ordering them, they're awesome. We do get discounts from a company called YouDecide which gives discounts on a lot of things. The insurance is average. I've worked in insurance before, the medical is nothing to write home about but it's also  more... not terrible. The reality is that in 2019 getting really good medical insurance means that you're either on a really old plan or your company has the money and decency to cover that amount for every employee. The employee cost portion of the medical isn't horrible but could definitely be better if the company decided to offer better benefits in terms of deductibles and out of pockets and to pay for more of it. The dental, vision, 401K is all a little above average. The location of the office itself is in the East Loop, a block from Millennium Park which is a daily bustling area with lots of food, activities, and fun. The office is located near transit (metra station (only for south running trains) and all L lines. The building is very safe and secure and requires passes to enter all elevators and then additional passes to enter the office.

One thing I'd like to mention about this office is there's no real sense of inter-departmental camaraderie. People would rather eat and sit at their desks and work than take an actual break, that drives me crazy. We're not robots, we're human beings.
Pros
Free Weekly Lunches, discounts (not super great but still discounts) on gyms, vacations, jewelry, etc., near metra train stops and red and blue lines. In the heart of the loop so a lot of places to eat.
Cons
Medical Insurance, pay could be better, more paid time off, long commutes because right in the loop, parking is expensive if parking in building, cliquey vibes, robot vibes
poor pay after time there
mailer (Current Employee) –  Rochester Ny25 April 2019
After 10 years with no kind of pay increase they give us .37 an hour.Health care plan is a joke with a high deductible. No real room for advance. All of older employee are just wait to retire.
Pros
can not think of any
Cons
poor pay benefits
Used to be great, now part of a failing industry
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WI24 April 2019
Corporate leadership in the past ten years has reeled drunkenly from strategy to strategy trying to keep Gannett afloat. Layoffs seems to be the one common factor with every new initiative. Two years ago it was Newsroom of the Future with assurances that those cuts and forcing everyone to reapply for their jobs would achieve sustainable staffing levels for years to come. Enter January 2019 and another massive national layoff, this time noticeably crippling the news gathering process and limiting coverage across the board.
I would never suggest anyone to work for Gannett, especially a younger journo. All legacy media, I mean you too local TV stations, are experiencing the revenue restrictions and staffing reductions from the ongoing media fragmentation. TV stations are so far behind on building their online presence and developing online only content as compared to newspapers, that they've put themselves in the same leaky boat. Good luck to them. As for print and their online counterparts, local outlets are doomed, only bigger outlets and national organs will survive my lifetime.
Pros
Decent benefits, 401K etc. Very expensive insurance. Bad prescription plan, also very expensive.
Cons
Very expensive insurance. Bad prescription plan, also very expensive.
Terrible Place
Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN24 April 2019
Management is terrible and they have no concern for you or your families well being. They have favoritism and will find a way to push you out the door
Pros
Made some really great friends that will last a lifetime.
Cons
Micro Managing at its finest
I believe Gannett will be around for years to come
Senior Customer Service Rep/Dept. Asst (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AL17 April 2019
Progressive workplace culture, opportunities for advancement especially if one is open to relocate. I believe Gannett will be around for years to come.
Horrible, racist and nonreligious discrimination to name a few/
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZ16 April 2019
The management is not good. They need more training on how to management employees. My experience was not good. I experienced racist comments, religious prosecution, and experience the management berating and making fun of former staff members intelligence and availability to complete their task. It was a bad experience.

I applied for a part time contracted delivery job with this organization. It was the worse experience. I was told I had to do a ride along and bring in my personal information including my social security card and drivers licence. I did all that was requested of me. After the ride along I was told I had to do another day of training to add up to 2 days of training. I did so. After the 2nd day I was told I would have to do 3 days of training and then I would start my route. On the night of the last training. I over heard people talking about taking my routes for Sunday which is the big money day for a carrier. During the training that evening the supervisor told me not to come in the next night even though I was ready to deliver papers on my own I had to wait for the district manager to come back with the contract. So I didn't go in. The following day while I was in church I received a call from the district manager stating that he had just sent the contract to me. He then text me that same information. However, I never received that contract. That evening I did not go in do to a health concern.The following day I was still waiting for the contract which I requested again and never received. Finally I was told I would get a hard copy when I came in that evening.
  more... I was planning to go in, but after discussing all that I had gone through with my family we made a decision that this job was not for me. So i informed the management who then sent me an inappropriate text message in the attempt to berate me for deciding to not take the job.

I did not feel comfortable work for this company in the short few days in which was training. They don't want to pay you for work you complete making your labor slave labor. It is a very uncomfortable divorcement thanks to it's management. The 3 nights I was there the management and other staff made joked and made horrible comments about a former employee who had just been fired. They said this man had a hole in his brain and indicated that he was not smart. I also had a supervisor who said to me "You people have a ton of different names" (She was referring to the fact that I am a black American). She also said I could not afford a $50 per person dinner theater (without knowing what my personal finances are). She indicated that since I am no longer with my child's father that I should be an angry woman and that I am to "happy". In addition, the management keep referring to the Deseret News as the Mormon paper. They made it seem as if the newspaper was bad because it was as they said a "Mormon" paper. I was very offended by this since I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. One of the managers even had a melt down in regard to the fact that she doesn't believe in God, but does believe in Santa Claus. I was very uncomfortable by this since I am very religious.

This group of individual made the experience a uncomfortable experience for me. I made the best decision for me and my family not to continue forward with the process. I would not recommend this company.
Pros
Cons
Management is awful, The workers are not treated well, This place has a air of high school mean girl syndrome
Newspapers are dying
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  McLean, VA11 April 2019
And so is Gannett. Although I've learned a lot at Gannett, they can't keep revenues up and are struggling financially. They're already outsourcing a lot of their IT dept with people who know nothing about the business and are halfway around the world. I hope that's worth the lower salaries.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
layoffs every few months
Mercedes m
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ9 April 2019
Great place to work and have great leaders there that actually help and provide you with the skills that you need to be successful in life wonderful place to start working if you're ever in Arizona
Lack of Professionalism
CSC Agent 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ8 April 2019
Gennett turned out to be the worst company I have ever worked for. Management was unprofessional and favoritism was high. we had games and events for the teams but it was really for the management. Gannett as a company is falling because of the lack of professionalism, intelligence and integrity.
Pros
Some fun coworkers
Cons
Gannett
A Dying Company
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MI6 April 2019
The newspaper business is dying. If you're looking for a part-time job, and you dont mind working a 7:30pm - 3:30pm shift + Saturdays, go for it. But for full-time? Dont bother. The hours are awful & by now, taking care of the workers is an afterthought. This place is picking up the work from all of the other defunct newspapers.
That will probably keep them around for another 5 years tops.
So if you're desperate for work RIGHT NOW and dont mind the horrible hours, go for it. But long term? Stay clear.
Pros
Nice bosses, good people to work with
Cons
Horrible hours, no future
Workplace
ADS (Former Employee) –  Neptune4 April 2019
its was a workplace that was fun and it was a workplace that was local and a workplace that had a lot of people working and a work place that made you work weekends
Let's you work from home
Designer/copy editor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY2 April 2019
The ability to be able to work from home gives me the flexibility to move back closer to my mother as she ages. I am her only child, so it is important to be there in her time of need.
Ever-changing and no structure
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN29 March 2019
The company does provide a very laid back culture. However, they are constantly changes ideas and never keeping up to date on sales training with products. They simply say "here is a new product, talk to customers about it" without properly training employees on the topics. Management always has some sort of excuse as to why they haven't yet or when they might do something yet nothing ever comes from these statements.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
no advancement; no sales training; not much direction
Former employee...CSR
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY25 March 2019
I was with Gannett for 5 years and I can say in the begining it wasa great place to work but after management changed the place went down hill..I had one raise in 5 years which is terrible and I was one of the top commision employees...worst job ever
Pros
Commision in 2013-2014
Cons
Staff mangement..no raises bathroom
It was a unique job.
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NY25 March 2019
We were responsible for printing 3 daily newspapers plus other printed products. It was a stressful process with the biggest concern being getting the product done right and out on time.
Company was more interested in dividends than employees.
lead pressman night shift (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UT25 March 2019
They pay very poorly. They will hire anyone off the street with no experience and then expect them to perform at a professional level, therefore you always have a hire turn over. They always wanted to do everything and I mean everything on the cheap!!!!
Newspaper company in transition
Regional Sales and Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NC18 March 2019
Gannett is a great company to work for, but is challenged by the fact that it's trying to reinvent itself from its newspaper history. If you're a dedicated hard worker willing to go above and beyond for your clients, there is great opportunity for advancement and excellent financial compensation. Good training and experience working with local businesses in the discipline of sales and marketing.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good compensation, fun coworkers
Cons
Newspaper industry challenges, colleague skill and dedication is hit or miss
Overall nice company I enjoyed my time there
Training and Recruiting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KY12 March 2019
They do a great job of informing and training staff, they have a visible presence on the call floor most of the time. There is the typical office politics, with any job. The mix of management personalities was a pleasurable experience and the employee staff was so diverse it made the work environment amazing.
If you experience a loss in your life, it's best advice to go ahead and tell everyone so they can shower you with attention otherwise they lose trust in you for wanting to keep your personal matters to yourself as much as possible.
Pros
Lots of earned paid off time for hourly workers
Cons
You MUST be serious about your stats in order to acheive the pros of the job
It's been a while since I worked here...
Digital Product & Sales Manager, Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI11 March 2019
At the time I was with Gannett they were evolving from print to digital. This created some confusion and conflicting needs as revenue for digital is different from print. Great people, I'm not sure how the company has evolved since I left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett. Our community is ready to answer.