Gannett

Gannett Employee Reviews

You need to have a fast paced mentality and willing to work independently. The greatest challenge is overcoming print media revenue decline with new digital revenue
Pros
Benefits, pay, stock
Cons
Overcoming revenue shortfalls for print media
Gannett excelled at communicating with their employees. I had frequent meetings with my supervisor to discuss my progress and future responsibilities. It was not a hostile environment, although the atmosphere was pretty "industrial". I left for a better paying job and have regretted it ever since
Pros
management/paid time off
Cons
pay was on the low end of average
I joined USA TODAY right before the time of their merger with Gannett and I can say that the merger has changed the company and not for the better. Upper management does not care about their workers. They do not keep your up to date on changes within the company and at any moment just know they will drop you. The company is not doing great considering the industry.
This company is horrible! It has a cut throat culture. There is segmented unorganized sales training if you can call it that. New products or solutions are constantly being introduced without training. "Just sell it!" Nothing is well planned or thought out. Key selling points aren't outlined. Pricing isn't explained. Completely disorganized! Sales is expected to do absolutely everything from dealing with constant billing issues that are never resolved, order advertising (wonder what Order Entry does?), analyzing digital campaigns (another area's responsibility supposedly), etc., etc., and of course sales when time allows. No one is accountable. Zero support from management. The micro management is indescribable! The building are filthy and old (interviews take place elsewhere). I never felt welcome here. Untrustworthy company. Goals are completely unrealistic! A pandemic will not change the goals- they get higher. Benefits are the only positive thing. Only now, they don't match your 401k. If you want to feel angry, frustrated, stressed out, and unfulfilled this is the place for you! I don't recall a nice day ever. Very sad.
Pros
Benefits such as health and pet insurance
Cons
Everything else
Cutting expense is one and only goal of Gannett. Need to satisfy shareholders bottom line by cutting essential employees at local level. Very unorganized with zero communication from top down. Do not work here.
Cons
No clear direction and no local input.
They will micro-manage you to death, combine that with unreal sales goals which severely limits the amount of commission you get paid, and you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt. As an outside sales rep, you get paid a small salary ($35k) and your commission on sales is only paid once per quarter. If you don't make 90% of your unrealistic sales goal, you don't get paid a commission on your sales even if its a bad quarter - can anyone say "COVID"?. They also have severe back end issues, billing issues, etc, mainly due to the fact that they keep cutting and consolidating their support teams. Its not unusual for an overworked single person or small team to be handling a massive number of properties across the Country. This is not a growing business - its a dying one.
This company lies to you in order to rope you in. When they say you'll only be there from 6-1:30, thats a lie and you'll be working until the papers are done, which could end up like my last shift at 3 or longer. They never once warned me about about going over in the interview. Then when they ask which days you can work it doesn't matter what you say, they'll schedule you anyday they want and work you more even though over email they told me the days I picked were fine. The work was easy as long as your machine doesn't jam every 30 seconds, which it will. But that also makes the work very monotonous and boring. Also even though they say they mandate masks, thats a lie as plenty of people go on without one with no penalty. If you try to speak up on anything some will get smart with you and send you home. Also quite a few employees were loud, always on phone, or just rude.
Pros
no dress code
Cons
everything else
I worked there long ago before many mergers and acquisitions. My in-person manager was great. Since that time, the company has been acquired, changed and is currently undergoing severe contraction. I'm not sure of its future.
Stay away. There is nothing good about working for this company. They are rapidly declining in revenue, because they have no understanding of their actual role. Everyone in sales wants to be a 3rd party google vendor, and would rather sell search than print. They have no future. run as fast as you possibly can
Pros
they pay you (except bonuses, don't expect to make a real bonus)
Cons
everything.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gannett?
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Gannett is ok. Hours not bad at all. There is no full time hours unless you drive forklift also you will have to apply for unemployment because they have a down season.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Gannett is ok. I was bale to separate myself from the job most days. It is a greta place to work in the short term.
Gannet is a horrible place to work. The supervisors with the exception of maybe two are ride and don't help. One in particular was homophobic and voiced his opinion loudly with no consequences. Management sucks and they find every reason for you not to get the so called monthly bonuses. Worst 6 months of my working career.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, hassled by supervisors, favoritism
Good customer service atmosphere. Management could stand to be more helpful. Overall the best shifts go to the ones with the best stats. Calls are mostly from the elderly needing help with the app.
Pros
Nice customer service atmosphere
Cons
Rotating shifts
GateHouse Media (now Gannett) is a company that shamelessly prioritizes profits over its people and quantity over quality. Everything is very clearly about the bottom line, which would be less offensive if the business model didn't depend on severely underpaid newspaper staff churning out the content that the company depends on -- while the millionaires in corporate run the company into the ground.As one can imagine, the average Gannett employee isn't going to have much to say when asked what they love about their job.
Pros
Flexibility of working from home, benefits packages
Cons
Low pay, low morale, high turnover
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Gannett is great.ManagementIn general, anagers at Gannett I had a great team of managers who supported my growth along the way.
technology driven company letting employees learn and advance working with various departments to further the corporate goals opportunities to be involved with budgeting at a local and corporate level
Pros
Christmas potluck
Cons
got laid off
Employees were encouraged to pursue cutting edge technology, however, the strategy to convert/transition from print publishing to digital publishing continues to plague the company's growth.
Pros
Freedom to Pursue Tech Interests, Monthly Team Celebrations, Publication Previews
Cons
Benefit Package Offerings and Costs, Poor Digital Strategy and Diversity Program Regression after Acquisition
I don’t feel like anyone likes me and I hear more about when I do a bad job than when I do a good one. It can be rewarding but extremely stressful day-to-day.
Benefits
No job security. Too many upper management who have no clue of the salespeople with their feet on the street. Eliminated middle sales management who knew what they were doing. Total boys club who encourages harassment. If you are a women and want a raise better be ready to live life On your ??? Horrible horrible horrible
Pros
Cons
Pay, benefits
I would not work there. Management is erratic and moody and condescending. Not a great working environment. I would not recommend working fhere. They ask way too much of you and the training is very poor. If you don't pass the tests they treat you like you are stupid
Pros
Cons
Bad management
no benefits no union or advancements. It’s people who worked there for 30 plus year and got a dollar raise. This is new age slavery & people are suffering from it the turnover rate is outrageous I’ve seen people come and go daily
Pros
All the bosses don’t care about anything but themselves
Cons
No workers on paydays, people call out daily and come in late plus they over work you
  1. Employee reviews