Gannett Fleming Employee Reviews

Good people to work with, but job security is weak
CONSTRUCTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD9 May 2018
This is a good place to work for if they have enough work to keep you busy. I was laid off due to not having enough work. They give you the chance to develop your skills and better yourself.
State Traffic Management Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA2 April 2018
Great family driven place to work. Management was friendly and understanding. The management was flexible. Company rewards were great incentives to excel.
Design Engineer
Project Engineer - Water and Wastewater Practice (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA4 March 2018
Good benefits
Willingness to recognize strengths and to support development
Excellent focus on performance reviews, goals, and objectives
Good location and culture
People are Great
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Valley Forge, PA9 February 2018
The culture is not great, no communication between management and regular staff. Organization plan is very confusing.

Management egos need to be left at the door and they actually need to communicate to staff on status of project and other company information.
Pros
Great people, good pay
Cons
Take advantage of staff, Don't like regular staff standing up to management, Too much of a "company man" complex.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA26 December 2017
Gannett Fleming has been a great place to work and the team is very supportive of one another. Also, a lot of great communication across the company which is helpful.
Great place to work and advance career
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Connecticut27 November 2017
Love this company and can't wait to get a call in the spring! The entire staff is very nice and always willing to help. Even when I was in a financial bind the company helped me in a way I can't even imagine to repay their kindness in their help.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
This is the first company that chaCharges its employees for company miles when using company vehicles.
Resident Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL21 November 2017
A typical day involved interactions with several contractors through Florida Department of Transportation.

Most of the people at FDOT at nice, however the few exceptions exist so as a consultant, you are always watched.
Pros
Learning a variety of tasks keep the job interesting
Cons
Getting half hour lunches and being micro managed
Fast paced environment
Project Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN7 November 2017
Good company to work for if you want to be in construction and technology at the same time. Some ITS work and many other sides to the company as a whole.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Pace, Training, Communication
poor salary good health benefits
Com (Current Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA5 November 2017
n/a Nothing to add please see review
poor salary good health benefits lack of advancement lack of work vs life balance. employees who were long term employees received little to no time offer exceptions vs new hires were taking off every Friday within the first 2 months of hire.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Work vs life balance
Not all change is good
REGIONAL IT SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VA31 October 2017
When I worked here there was a lot of change within the company. Towards the end people were desperately trying to hold onto their jobs while throwing their coworkers under a fast moving bus. No one was safe. The company was in deep financial trouble since some of their engineering jobs were cancelled by the government.
Geotechnical Designer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL28 September 2017
So far, the best site where I've worked. Their retirement system is very good and the company pays very well at the end of the year. It has a culture in favor of the employee and almost nobody wants to retire working with them.
Pros
Good work culture, good place for grow up
Cons
Salary increments are not easy to obtain
The job was rewarding
Drafting Technician (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA19 September 2017
Job consist of Classify Soils for construction mainly, I like the work but work was slow so, they let us go, There are works available else where it required relocation, that was not a good thing.
Pros
Good Health benefit
Cons
The company is responsive to my concerns in the field as it relates to me
chief electrical inspector (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NY6 September 2017
The only problem I see if getting projects. Bidding for new work is poor which leaves the employee in the field always needing to find work in other places.
Pleasent
Fiber Splicing Technician (Former Employee) –  Ft. Laudale FL.14 June 2017
Working as a contractor, only work 40 hours a week, out door working. Had to pay for my own hotel and travel. Job was great to work at Ft. Laudale Airport.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Contractor
good career
CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ8 May 2017
great company to work for if you like to travel. they do large jobs for department of transportation including fiber optic systems camera poles, digital message boards etc. etc.
They Have No Regard For Professional Growth
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PA3 May 2017
Gannett Fleming used to be a great place to work until the new CIO came on board a few years ago. One of the first things he did was fire a guy who had been with the company for over 25 years. He said it was a "cost-cutting measure" but really it was because he likes to surround himself with sycophants.

Anytime there is a major infrastructure project, instead of providing training to the employees so they can learn and grow professionally the job gets outsourced to a consulting firm.

In the 15 years I was there, I only had two weeks of IT training. When I pressed the CEO on the issue, the solution was a 6 week trial license for web based training which was essentially someone narrating Powerpoint slides. Really that was the best they could do.

When I asked the CIO if I could shadow others in the department so I could learn other technologies he flat out said "NO." So instead of increasing my wealth to the company I was left to sit there doing nothing all day everyday since there was no other work to do.

If you're a motivated individual that wants to grow in your career and learn new technologies then Gannett Fleming is definitely not the place for you. If you want to stagnate and become unemployable elsewhere then definitely consider this place.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
lack of training, projects get outsourced
Unstable environment
Project Controls/Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mill Valley, CA14 March 2017
Management is not supportive of its employees. After 2 weeks I developed a sound project schedule and brought the project back to the baseline milestones. As a result, the company was lifted of performance probation.
Pros
Benefits are fairly good.
Cons
High Resource turn around
productive
Geotechnical Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL9 July 2016
Interpreting construction plans and specifications to contractor, foreman, superintendent; assure proper construction means and methods, reviewing contractor performance and compliance with safety equipment; checking engineering computations, inspecting construction work( such as earthwork, concrete and asphalt), and conducting field tests. Work was performed under the general supervision of the Project Administrator.
good
Administrative Assistant/Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD7 June 2016
good experience. great company. good location. had a great learning experience, wish there was more room for growth all in all the company as a whole was a pleasure to work for.
Great Work Environment
CADD Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD25 May 2016
I really enjoyed my time at this company. There was a balanced age range - from early 20s to 70s. The flexible work schedule worked very well with my travel schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gannett Fleming. Our community is ready to answer.