Games Workshop Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Thoroughly engaging Customer service and recruitment experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 November 2017
Every day, new customers with no idea about Games Workshop would enter the store with awe in their eyes. It was my pleasure to introduce them to a world the likes of which they had never experienced. I would walk each individual through a process of learning how to play the game, how to build and paint the models associated with the game and how they could get involved themselves.
I learned that each person is different and likes to latch on to different things. This both made up the hardest and most enjoyable aspect of the job, trying to figure out which customer enjoyed which aspect.
Running a team is a challenge, trying to ensure that all sales goals are understood and met while coaching both in the moment and retroactively, to ensure that all conversations had with customers have a defined direction.
Pros
Staff discount on all products
Cons
Mall location made rejection of intro activity a cold friend.
lot of fun, didn't feel like work
Hobby Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 October 2015
very good company to work for, good pay and benefits including a staff discount on all products. Never actually felt like working, some days didn't feel like going home after my shift
Pros
good salasry and benefits, stress free working environment
Cons
company restructuring
One of the most exciting retail jobs
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2013
Working for Games Workshop focussed around the recruitment and assistance of players into their hobby. This was done through running clinics, lessons and demonstrations of products as well as coordinating events such as tournaments, leagues and contests. All of this served towards achieving sales goals and recruitment targets.

The team at Games Workshop was always small, not just in the store itself but in the company as a whole, making the company feel very tight knit. Many of the employees who worked there continue to have close ties even after leaving.

The best part of the job was certainly watching the customer base grow and develop. Much of our sales were relationship based. You became very close with some of your clientel over the years and created strong ties.

The only downside to working for Games Workshop was a lack of financial compensation. Even as a manager, I could scarcely afford living expenses with a 1 bedroom appartment. At the time there was no achievable bonus scheme. It was this lack that forced me to find employment elsewhere and I was very sorry to go.
Pros
Amazing coworkers, fun environment, you play with toy soldiers for a living
Cons
Lack of financial compensation, difficult to advance
A great experience
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2012
This was never really a job...
It was doing something I enjoyed while also being compensated for it.
There is a certain passion in being involved in something that you take pride and an enjoyment from.
Everyday was a new adventure and challenged me to exceed my expectations of what I could do.