Galvanize Employee Reviews

Software Engineer Fellow - Hack Reactor (Current Employee) –  Remote11 June 2019
Galvanize is very invested in the growth of their engineers. There are plenty of places to use your unique ideas and ways to ask questions if there are any doubts.
Great work environment
HR (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO14 May 2019
Fun collaborative place to work alongside other passionate technical professionals. Unlimited PTO. great benefits and an upbeat laidback workplace! Highly recommended.
Galvaniz
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO11 April 2019
During my time working for Galvanize I was hired for a specific position under a specific job title and contract. Through many restructures, the company had slashed employees on a national scale and applied the job functions of the terminated employees to the employees of lower titled roles, without compensation. Galvanize is a company that has been guided by people who seem to lack the ability to sacrifice for the greater good (the company). It seems that the people in power were interested in taking advantage of the unlimited funds of investors and not focussed on the success of the company.
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NY6 February 2019
Galvanize is a great place to work! Everyone works hard and welcomes diversity. The most enjoyable part of working there is definitely the relaxed environment and fun coworkers.
Cons
Part-time
Inconsistent
Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO22 January 2019
They talk a big game about promoting from within- but they do not back it up. Pay is below average, benefits are just ok, no sense of direction. Manager constantly telling different people different things. A lot of nepotism via friendship going on, pretty annoying. I feel that managers are not held accountable and the lowest people on the totem pole end up taking the blame. They claim to be transparent to all employees, but all the information given to us seems pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things. I never feel like I truly know what is going on, and I do not feel like I have a chance to advance. As weird as it might sound, there is some kind of "good ole girls" network going on. All the managers for the CO campuses are women. Statistically speaking, that is almost impossible. So the fact that women continue to be hired into management roles needs to be looked at.
Pros
flex time off, cold brew, gym on campus
Cons
below average pay, little to no advancement opportunities
Galv
Data Science Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA5 December 2018
Legit boot camp, amazing instructors (Seattle campus), Seattle has lot of relevant Meet-ups some of which gather on the Galvanize campus. Would recommend
Galvanize is great
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO10 September 2018
Galvanize is a great place to work! Everyone works hard and welcomes differences with open arms. You can feel how smart the members are, it feels like Silicon Valley!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Working late
Hectic Work Environment with Little Support
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Colorado23 June 2018
The executive board of Galvanize cares very little about the education department. From what I could tell, the entire education department has been cut until it can no longer function and nobody is happy. I think maybe a single time a member of the executive team visited the education department and saw students. The instructional team was wonderful. Don't expect anyone outside of the immediate instructional team to care or help you at all.
Be prepared to be a therapist, financial adviser, and life coach for many of the students when their family members die, lives take a tragic turn, or other various struggles as Galvanize refuses to provide one.
Don't expect any employer 401k contributions or any meaningful benefits outside of expensive health insurance and PTO.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
hectic, stressful, unappreciated, repetitive
Fun and exciting, worth my investment
Web Developer Immersive (Former Employee) –  New York, NY6 May 2018
I never regret coming to this company where i learned tons of techs and meet new friends by networking, workspace, and mingling with them, everyone has most likely the same interest, learning and growing.
Pros
free snacks in the morning
Cons
no cons
A bootcamp, a co-working space and more
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO28 February 2018
The company is growing and fitting into a specific niche somewhere between a bootcamp and a co-working space. The culture is amazing and the environment is a pleasure to work in. How well the products offered from Galvanize going forward evolve and diversify to adapt to different markets as well as technology trends will be a big indicator of company success.

There are legitimate concerns that the executives are out of touch with employees. By far the most important employees are the instructors and another indicator of long term success will be how the execs communicate with and retain the faculty.
A good place to work if you're a developer
Full-Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  New York, NY8 November 2017
There's a great community at Galvanize. The atmosphere is open and collaborative. Good place if you're starting out or if you're more experienced and looking for a diverse work culture.
Galvanize is the bomb.
Web Development Resident Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CO13 June 2017
Galvanize is a place where I'm able to do my best work. I worked with an amazing team that looked out for my well-being and supported my desire for personal growth.
Pros
People, easily motivated, fast pace
Cons
Easy to be emotionally attached
You'll Stay for the Culture
Senior Events Coodinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX6 June 2017
I came to know Galvanize by accident. I was looking for the apartment complex on the other side and after I left, I looked up Galvanize, saw the Events Coordinator position, and applied right away. I really love the community that surrounds Galvanize and the people who work there. Students, staff, and members alike can usually be found there after hours and even spend time together during off hours. We have a great GM in Austin and HQ Staff in Denver. The hardest part of working there is our space shortage. We have gotten very creative in shifting our furniture and supplies around but it's always a challenge. The most enjoyable part of working there is definitely the relaxed environment and fun coworkers. If you have the chance to work with us, jump at it!
Pros
Community and Staff Events, Kitchen Keg, Fun Environment, good work-life balance
Cons
Space Shortage
Great mission, bumpy management
Program Director (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA14 March 2017
Pros: work with great people in a beautiful space on a meaningful mission
Cons: focus on growth leads to some chaos and executive leadership is out of touch with on the ground operations
Inspiring community focused technology and education startup
Director of Community Experience (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA3 March 2017
An amazing, fast-paced and ever evolving place to work, you'll learn to hustle and to have fun while doing it. You'll help make our students and community members lives better and improving your own through exposure to quality, innovative people.
Productive and Fun Work Environment
FREELANCE SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA31 January 2017
Typical day is fun, supportive, and challenging. The workplace culture is supportive, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the nice work environment and opportunity for networking.
A lot of sizzle, not much steak.
Enterprise Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO21 December 2016
Pros
Great Real Estate. The team that pulls these spaces together has done a great job of locating central locations in modern spaces that give off an extremely high-tech vibe.

The enthusiasm of students and entrepreneurs is great. The events and meetups also contribute to the palpable feeling of excitement on the campus.

There is a serious deficit of talent in the cloud/data science space and Galvanize has the capacity to churn out many graduates for organizations to recruit.

Cons

ELT is hubristic and insular. Communication, while abundant, is not strategically planned and does not come off as very thoughtful. This is partially due to the company's overreliance on corporate social media, which gives the illusion of abundant communication.

CEO is extremely charismatic but lacks discipline. Tends to dominate meetings with a stream of consciousness rather than an agenda. Also, comes off as very egotistical and self-centered in client-facing meetings. Routinely calls the school's graduates "nerds" in a disparaging tone.

Operations are not streamlined: no mechanisms in place to track the status of solicitudes for legal review, poorly defined roles and responsibilities that often overlap in a loosely defined matrix. Loosely defined because there is no clear communication of executive vision as it relates to the various departments.

Enterprise products that area dependent on only two partners in the software ecosystem and that are constantly being redefined making them difficult to sell.

Due to CEOs dominant personality, there is rampant nepotism and favoritism
  more... towards folks from the previous rodeo.

8-hour remote boot camp is campy and does not assist in decentralizing the Denver bias in decision-making within the company.

Insurance coverage is horrible (% covered by company).

Extremely high (appalling really) rate of turnover.

Advice to Management
Discipline, discipline, discipline. Oh and focus. And communication. There are a ton of great talented people on board and those people have the capacity and the bandwidth to accomplish great things. The raw soup is there to create a truly mission-driven culture. What you have now does not do this opportunity's potential justice and the high amount of turnover is symptomatic of this lack of driving focus.
Experience Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO2 June 2016
Typical day at work is relaxed and productive, setting up for events was fun. I learned a lot about how events are run behind the scenes. The management was awesome, very hands off and no micro-managing, super relaxed and made it easy to be motivated. The co-workers are also great; drama-free environment. I love this job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Galvanize. Our community is ready to answer.