G4S Employee Review

G4S employee
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 April 2013
I can only speak for unarmored guards.
This company will hire anyone off the streets with a security license, so be prepared to work with a circus of clowns, including management. There are some good people, but the insane number of clowns give the company a bad reputation. Management is sneaky and two-faced, you never know what to expect from them. Luckily, the guards are unionized (under the CAW) because you will need to go up against management for almost everything.

Most jobs are 12 hour shifts, with no breaks, and straight nights (or at least rotating shifts) and make minimum wage. Some sites also force you to use your own car as a patrol vehicle, and the gas/mileage allowance for these positions is very cheap.

The hardest part of the job is usually sitting in a chair for 12 hours straight without falling asleep.

The job security is awful. I have already been out of a job twice in the past two years with this company, because they are losing security contracts with companies faster than they are getting them. If this happens to you, don't expect the company to lay you off, they will cut your hours down to 6 hour/week so you are ineligible for EI benefits. If you are lucky enough to have less hours than that, you will have to beg them for your ROE to make an unemployment claim.

They will then call you with a less-than 2 hour notice and give you the worst shifts they have, and will not take "No" as an answer.

Kiss up to management and do not get on their bad side, or they will make your life a living nightmare and you should be fine.

P.s. Your uniform will take months
  more... to come in when you first start. Once you have it, it will not likely take long for it to fall apart/rip, and will take a lot of begging, pleading, and phone calls to get a replacement. There are employees working without a sweater or jacket in the middle of winter.

P.P.S. Always check your pay stubs, they will often be incorrect and missing hours. When they are, be prepared to jump through hoops of fire to get your earnings. (6-12 month battle of constant phone calls and emails to and from 10 different people on the other side of the province)
Pros
free online courses through the union, some good people
Cons
12 hour shifts, no breaks, must pack a lunch, working nights/weekends/holidays, poor quality uniforms, poor management, poor job security, outdated benefit plan for fulltimers

Other G4S Employee Reviews

Workplace is professional on Executive Floor
TD Bank Executive Security Officer/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
My duties on the Executive floor to provide access control, conducting contractor escorts. Answering incoming calls and transferring to the individual. Conducting Events Off site .
Team Work Environment
Pros
breakfast
Cons
not enough activity
Run clear of this place
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
After 5 years as a full time employee they lost a bunch of contracts and thought they could take me from $18/hr 44+ hours a week to $14/hr 5 hours per week, with no regard for how they hired me. This was based on multiple changes in the office each more inept than the previous district manager. In addition, I not once got paid correctly for the hours I worked. When I finally left they owed me copious amounts of overtime that to this day has not been resolved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K