G4S Employee Reviews for Security Guard

Found 211 reviews matching the search See all 10,365 reviews
Co-workers get you through
Security Guard (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2018
Management has no regard for labor laws or employee compassion. Ask for a day off months in advance and they always say no, force you to use vacation days.
Always asking for proof of days off called in (bereavement, sick, emergency, personal)
Company is a joke. Management talks behind your back. Union does nothing for you, absolutely nothing.
Co-workers were the only reason I kept going to work.
Ask for new uniforms, they take 7 months to get you any.
Terrible company. Promise raises, never happened.
G4S wonders why they can't hire or keep employees, maybe you should realize how terrible you treat people.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
everything, mainly management
The job itself was grate
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 January 2019
Management an company outstandings where not so good enjoyed the job but not the company they where late with pay at times did not have benifits pervided on the correct set date and scheduling was all over the place.
Pros
Grate coworkers
Cons
Long hours an not enough pay
Its seems to be going well i just hope i can grab hours very soon
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 June 2018
I just started working here I like it a lot but I've been reading some of the reviews here and I hope that this low hours thing does not happen to me as I need to work. I need the money badly and something to keep me busy so I'm not stuck at home all the time. Now what people are saying about the wages being low all I have to say is just be happy your getting money at all and the long hrs is what a guard is for. If you all thought there was only going to be 6-8 hour shifts you picked the wrong line of work. But any ways here is to a good career with G4S thank you guys for welcoming me a board.
Pros
Good people, pay is good, benefits
Cons
Not enough contracts.
Worst
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2019
The management themselves dont know the task and duties and they themselves are not aware of what kind of duties need to be performed on some sites. If you get injured no help or support from the company while you are on work. Staff memebers are rude and lack customer service. Scheduling department never picks the phone and if they do so they will not have the shifts. No advancement or future scope unless or until you are friend of the management or someone who is close to you inside the management.
Poor management
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON9 January 2019
Loved working in a hospital setting, I felt important to staff, and patients. My job meant something. Management at G4S was poor, the client service manager for G4S at the hospital was never around and incinerated with guards once a week if that. I was also fired for whatever reason they're not telling me three months and a week into my posting. This is just another company that values profit over its employees.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Long shifts and bad management
Decent job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
Very unorganized company. Pay is decent but thats probably due to the union that you're automatically in. Mind numbing work. No ability to progress within the company. Waste of time if you're serious about a career in security. Just a job, nothing else. Co-workers are professional but the job is similar to working for an agency. If you need money badly I'd say go for it but if you're looking to learn things and gain relevant experience its probably not in your best interest to work for G4S. All in all a decent job.
Pros
Consistent hours.
Customer oriented
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2018
Supervise and oversee security functions in an organization.
Keep the premises free from all kinds of dangers.

Screen visitors before allowing them to enter the premises.

Maintain all security devices and products in good working condition.

Develop and implement preventative measures against accidents, thefts and other risks.

Ensure compliance of applicable policies and regulations while implementing security measures.
no room for advancement
Pros
got to see many faces
Cons
low pay
minimum pay
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 December 2018
minimum pay , no chance of advancement unless you know management . you are stuck with one shift and thats it you can't not change your shift or site.
bad management and area coordinator
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
the recruiter will say only a lot of things non of what he is gonna say is gonna happens so don't get a high hops other than that the pay is minimum wage. the shifts are long and no one will care if you complain about any thing no room for advancement.
the only good thing the always have extra shifts if you like to get more hours.
Place to learn
Security Guard (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 October 2018
At G4S had the opportunity to learn more about security and Safety procedures . Deal with Clients , Know about more Products and working conditions .

placements are done rightly depending upon the capabilities and past experience.

Training is given to every individual in a very comfortable and understanding methods.

Backup for employees is excellent .

Winter clothing are very good.

Pros
Friendly, Understanding and Helpful
Cons
not now
Good company but union is completely useless
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 July 2017
The site I was placed at pays well, the job is enjoyable and the people I work with are great for the most part. Management is usually easy to work with but of course like any job, there are trying times. Definitely long hours available for anyone who wants to work.

That being said, these positions are unionized and represented by some guys in the GTA who don't return any attempts to reach them and the contract has more holes than a culinder. Benifits are available but using them is more complicated than a calculus exam.

I would and have referred friends to this company before.
Pros
Good site, above average pay depending on site, lots of hours
Cons
Union, terrible Union Trust Benefits, ocassionally it feels like constant phone calls for extra shifts
Fast paced environment with friendly staff
Security Guard/Back up Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 August 2018
My position was very much enjoyable. I got to meet all types of people and assist them the best way i can. I sometimes went above and beyond to assist them.

Was given some opportunities to move into different positions temporarily. The best part of this job, was seeing my clients smile.
Pros
laid back
Cons
lack of Promotions
Health benefits
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 August 2017
Working at Wackenhut of Canada as a security guard was a truly unique experience. The visionaries that created the company operate it with the same passion that they have put into the products themselves by focusing on the work-life balance of their employees, and creating a positive and relaxed work environment that still meets high demands and hard deadlines.I enjoy all of my job responsibilities and respect my piers and the management that runs the company. My main reasons for wanting another position is the job is less challenging than it used to be.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
nice and friendly workplace good management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2018
I work at Walmart Stores as a security guard. My tasks are to prevent theft from the shelves, check purchase bills and many things, but the nice part in this work is the good relations, beautiful smiles and dialogues I have with clients.
My relationship with clients has changed into a friendly relationship and they started to call me by name and I know their names. The relationship has changed from a security guard with a customer to a friends relationship
Just like all the others
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2018
I've worked this business for nearly 20 years, management needs to look after people better
Biggest complaint ANSWER the phone.
If we have an issue talk to us.
2 Walmart doesn't pay the bills.$13.60 / hr is a joke
I like my job , I'm good at it.
Pros
Good people, traning
pas agréable
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  djibouti .qc24 November 2018
sociétés en pertes de direction
j'ai du mal à travaille avc cette sociétés la cause est que les employé ne prène pas leur sueur
Pros
repas gratuit
Cons
aucune cordination
horrible company
security guard (Current Employee) –  toronto, ontario29 December 2012
absolutely noneoronto office and all this company does is take advantage of the guards. Been working with g4s toronto branch for 4 yrs and over the 4 yrs i have gotten 1 raise of 50 cents. They just don't care about any of the guards .I work at a TD bank and have absolutely no means of protection. No vest no baton no cuffs no nothing. I'm not even getting proper breaks. Sorry to say but i would not advise anyone to work for them. Payroll messes up often, scheduling omg i don't want to get into how often they mess up. If any management is reading this start treating us guards with the respect we deserve. Stop taking advantage of us.
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
pay rates, no raises, not given proper breaks. the list goes on
Its a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
Working with this company is alright, I do think management needs some work. They're very unprofessional and also I think the guards aren't paid well enough for the type of hours they work (which are ridiculous by the way). The coworkers are usually the same, you either have the real serious ones or the laid back ones just trying to get through the day. I do love that you get to work kind of independently in a sense that you don't have management over your back; but you may or may not have a coworker to have your back in case of a situation. I think I learned to make the most of this job while I'm here because working overnight leaves you with a lot of dead time to figure out life or learn other things while on the job. I think majority of the reason people choose to work here is because it does provide you with the hours you might need. So overall i'd say working with this company is alright. Its a job at the end of the day and that is why the majority of guards are working here.
Pros
Benefits program
Cons
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
Nope
Security guard. (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 June 2018
Seemingly either get ridiculous overwhelming hours or hardly any at all. Pay sucks, minimum in fact and they can have you work overtime hours without paying you overtime hours due to a scheduling loophole. They also owe several employees backpay but that's not looking likely to happen. Takes an age too to get new uniforms if necessary...I could go on, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Met a handful of cool people
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K