G4S Employee Reviews

The focus is on money, not on the people
just another flunky (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 June 2018
They replace people like they are toilet paper...really couldn't give a toss about anyone but themselves. They will claim that this isn't true, but I have seen it with my own eyes. DONT work here.
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
lousy pay with really bad bosses
Poor service for all
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
The company is not organized at all. They rarely reply to your emails and the pay is pretty much minimum wage compared to other companies who are paying 3+ dollars in comparison.
Its seems to be going well i just hope i can grab hours very soon
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 June 2018
I just started working here I like it a lot but I've been reading some of the reviews here and I hope that this low hours thing does not happen to me as I need to work. I need the money badly and something to keep me busy so I'm not stuck at home all the time. Now what people are saying about the wages being low all I have to say is just be happy your getting money at all and the long hrs is what a guard is for. If you all thought there was only going to be 6-8 hour shifts you picked the wrong line of work. But any ways here is to a good career with G4S thank you guys for welcoming me a board.
Pros
Good people, pay is good, benefits
Cons
Not enough contracts.
Nope
Security guard. (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 June 2018
Seemingly either get ridiculous overwhelming hours or hardly any at all. Pay sucks, minimum in fact and they can have you work overtime hours without paying you overtime hours due to a scheduling loophole. They also owe several employees backpay but that's not looking likely to happen. Takes an age too to get new uniforms if necessary...I could go on, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Met a handful of cool people
Cons
Everything else
One of the best security company in world
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
It was awesome experience working with this company. I started my job as security for CNE 2017 and had good experience .Handed very tough people to very nice ones .
Pros
All were nice people in company
Cons
less pay rate
Professional
ARMED GUARD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 May 2018
Great working environment for the most part although some sites are not well managed. Opportunity for those who seek knowledge and wisdom through experience also providing networking so you are always interacting and growing.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Restrictions
Security guard
security guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
Have experience of both commercial as well as condominium sites.Have worked for contractor escort, fire watch, concierge guard. Also have worked on construction sites.
A Good Place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON16 May 2018
Working on the level with other Guards or solo was never a bad things, The friendliness and "Brother/Sister-in-Arms" bond you form is an excellent thing to have when you are faced with tasks that you may not know how to handle on your own.
Pros
Hardy Friendships and a sense of safeness
Camp security
camp guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 May 2018
Worked 3 rotations in a camp setting with this employer.
The group of guards I worked with were cliquish and if they didn't like you made sure you didn't last.

The work environments in the camp were gossipy and childish. There is 0 support from management.

The camp guards are treated like "mall cops" from the shift OC all the way up to the head of camp security.

The staff were nervous about losing the contract to a competitor so were telling the gate guards to include useless info in their log book in order to give the appearance of being busy.

Management and staff are very insecure individuals.

Pay was decent but one could get a labourer position with another camp employer and fair just as well or better
Pros
2 week rotations
Cons
rules for the sake of rules, a childish, gossipy environment
G4S is a good company to work for getting experience.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 May 2018
Its been a roller coaster ride working in G4S. Slowly getting momentum and at the end give you thrill and excitement of achievement. Good days and bad days and always learning new things during job and sites.
Pros
Health benefits.
Cons
Less interaction with management.
Workplace environment is friendly!
SECURITY OFFICER (FULL-TIME) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
As a full-time employee, I am so happy to work with this company. The great think is perfect combination of multi-cultural people. Most of management team is good except some employee in some cases. However, the team not fulfill the commitment which they committed on recruitment process.
Pros
To meet multi-cultural people, and sharing knowledge & experience.
Cons
Senior employees are suffering because a group of staffs are getting more benefit than others.
great team, poor management
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 May 2018
G4S is a relatively new company on the air security market and they care more about their profit then their employees. Team is great, that helps to go trough the daily stress load, demands from management are high but the salary is average.
Pros
flexibility, benefits, carrer opportunities for emploees
Cons
management, stress level
Company/branch bought out
Armored Car Guard (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2018
Excellent benefits, good pay (danger). Periodic firearms training and certification. Schedule choices depend on availability at signup, priority granted by seniority.
Career growth within the company
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2018
Management needs to pay attention when employee needs help or concern. There are more job oppourtunties withtin the company. Managament recognize hard working employee.
Pros
Various job oppurtunity
Cons
No replies from management when you require help. Uniforms needs to provided yearly.
Terrible work environment & low pay.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 April 2018
This company isn't a desirable employment option. The pay is low and the treatment of it's employees aren't up to standard. You will be put into unnecessary roles that you were not aware of before accepting employment with the company.
Busy, less paid
Central North Ontario Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2018
Good as a beginner, good to learn and experience the business flow. High potential to grow within the organization. Team work. Follows employment standards law.
Workplace is professional on Executive Floor
TD Bank Executive Security Officer/Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
My duties on the Executive floor to provide access control, conducting contractor escorts. Answering incoming calls and transferring to the individual. Conducting Events Off site .
Team Work Environment
Pros
breakfast
Cons
not enough activity
Run clear of this place
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
After 5 years as a full time employee they lost a bunch of contracts and thought they could take me from $18/hr 44+ hours a week to $14/hr 5 hours per week, with no regard for how they hired me. This was based on multiple changes in the office each more inept than the previous district manager. In addition, I not once got paid correctly for the hours I worked. When I finally left they owed me copious amounts of overtime that to this day has not been resolved.
Good job, if you get a posting that you enjoy.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 April 2018
I worked multiple locations with this company since they have many contracts, some of them i liked and some of them I hated. This job can be great if you are able to maintain a good site posting. However, if you are sent to a job site that you do not enjoy it can be stressful.
Very shady company
Commercial Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
as security company's go, this one is no different, good as a part time or a temporary work place or a place to gain experience but not as a place to develop a career or to relay on to be a serious workplace.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
work culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K