G4S

Working at G4S: Employee Reviews

Canada779 reviews

Found 779 reviews matching the searchSee all 16,091 reviews

Good starting company

At the site I was assigned to I was lucky enough to have full time and good people to work with on the front lines. Management is like any other contract security company when it comes to prescreening, interviews, and scheduling.

Pros

Paid lunches, good coworkers

Cons

Too many levels of management from onsite all the way up to G4S Corporate.

It was good job, specially for students.

Overall good experience with G4s security. They paid the salary depend on your site. It was my first job in Canada and helped me manage my expenses during studies.

Insights into G4S

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Pay hike helpful during COVID 19 crisis

It was very helpful during COVID 19 to have a positive employer who was able to see the wage problem. Having a higher pay gave me a positive mindset to work harder and be more pro active during my shifts knowing I could afford to pay my bills comfortably.

Learn a lot on the job however pay is horrible!

My first couple of years with G4S was good although the pay was not. I had started out working in commercial and transferred over to residential where I worked in roles such as patrol guard, concierge and filling in for security supervisor when needed. Had some issues with management where they would take everything from a mobile guard, property manager etc. on face value. If I didn't keep record and documentation they would have left me in the rabbit hole. Just remember to always cover yourself in this line of work, in any work.

Pros

The experience

Cons

Pay nowhere near decent and management doesn't always treat employees fairly

It depends on your site

It is a minimum wage security job in the beginning and may climb to around 20 dollars p/h depending on your site or if you are a manager. Great for a foundation on your resume but not as a career

Busy workplace

Mostly 12 hour shifts... Ok pay tbh.... Places of work ain't that great.... Mostly govt housing sites........ Mobile supers are pretty bad aswell......

Pros

They can give u good hours... Specifically in winter

Cons

Long hours, bad job sites

Good for loss prevention

As loss prevention I enjoyed my time with G4S it did include lots of traveling, but the hours were good and the pay was decent. I have no idea how they were with uniform guards.

Good place to start

It was decent job ,fisrt they ask for open availability after a month or so if you perform ok they get you permanent site and fixed timings, management is co operative

Not recommended!

Management does not care about their employees. Pay rate is low. Employees are also irresponsible and some of them don’t take the job seriously. That is why it is hard to work with such people

Management problem

Management working or scheduling for relative that's why most employers the did work like night time weekends so the management must be reviewing this

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Team atmosphere promoted by senior management

Excellent working conditions. Great office. Work Life balance is part of the company culture. Management offers additional training as well as promotes from within.

Pros

Lunch Hour brought in food trucks and got discounts as an empl0yee

Unprofessional and toxic workplace.

Terrible morale. Staff are treated poorly - overworked and underpaid. Senior management is highly unprofessional and more times than not, disrespectful and unethical. If you're looking to be more than just a number, don't work here.

Pros

Job security

Cons

The list is infinite.

not a good experience

It's a fast phased environment. Needed a lot of training in the field but after three days of training I was assigned on a 12 hour shift and so it wasn't a good start for me. I had one time experienced to yelled at by one of the managers, you know. It wasn't a good experience.

Pros

its a big company

Cons

No hours for me, the company favors certain ethnicity.

team is very warm

company culture is very good, team is friendlymanager is also goodbut workload is a huge, the salary is lowits a good start for your carrer, but its not a good company to stay forever

Pros

can learn a lot of things

Cons

low pay

G4s is great company to work with good starting pay depending on which department you work with not alot of pressure management is great just follow all protocols sometimes issue is with inconsistent hours

Pros

Good pay to start security career, no pressure, good management

Cons

Less hours, work in extreme weather condition outside

Horrible idiotic management

Horrible place to work. Management are idiots that don't care about you. They didn't even pay me for my last week of work. Trust me and don't work here.

extremely toxic environment

Very toxic environment workplace. work shift either start in the middle of the night or start mid day and finish at night time. No support only discipline measure.

Great job but it was the exception

I worked as a Covid Compliance Officer in a contract with the manitoba government. Really easy job. Management was very chill. Most of the time they didn't know what we were doing. Our job was to do inspections which meant sometimes guys just sat outside the store in the car and didn't really inspect. We got paid like $20/hr but that was an exception. Large Indian workforce so they covered for each other.

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Terrible management

Very much cosistent plus work all over the place

Lots of available hours all over the city plus essex county. People are really trying to be positive attributes to this company given all the difficult hardships that are within us and in our heads. People are genuine and want to make a difference in other peoples lives.

Pros

uniforms - higher wages

Cons

very loud ppl /

Not the best experience in the Security domain

No clear and defined structure as to organizational flow of power. Poor working cluture, and low wages. I have been working here for over a year, and it doesn't feel like I have a job. G4S should invest more in their employees by sponsoring them on security workshops, and paying decent wages.

Pros

Security experience

Cons

Low income

Decent pay, but terrible communication

The pay is decent working as a security guard out in this area, but the communication between management/client and workers are very poor.The clients employees are very nice and understanding to work with. Makes the day go by fast. There is no office out this way, to receive a new uniform, or notebook is very delayed. There is no manager or supervisor out this way, there are guards that get away with many things. You need to work 300 hours in order to "apply" for your benefits package, which you need to do on your own by calling the appropriate person and them mailing it out to you. Depending on the site that has hired the company, if you don't have "security experience" the HR won't even look at your resume. I'd suggest to have some security experience and your own security licence before applying, just in case.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Terrible communication, lack of management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement