G.N. Johnston Equipment Employee Reviews

Great benefits, really bad management
In house tech (Former Employee) –  Ottawa14 October 2018
This is a great paying job, they supply van with gas ,most tools and give a good tool allowance including work boots and all PPE, coats and coveralls
You get bonus on any maintenance contracts, and rentals, any sales on lifts or equipment.
They allow quite liberal use of company Vans including personal use on weekends.
I see the techs every day with kids in Van go to school morning and afternoon
You won’t get this carte blanche for personal van use at any other lift company.,and without paying taxes!
Those techs must have some work share hours to be able to spend so much 8-4:30 time driving their kids. Company is gracious to allow that because they know each move the tech makes with GPS in Van and company cell phone app.
They supply an iPad and cell phone and allow modifications to vans, like huge speakers to blast music while streaming you-tube videos.
They have a ton of directives,, rules and regulations but rarely ever enforce rules
If it wasn’t for the management, it would be 5 Star.
Pros
Great overtime pay, pension benefits, free van, cell and iPad, easy work
Cons
Really bad management, no protection from harassment
It's a pay check and nothing else
Road Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 September 2018
Zero training, lack of tools and equipment, impossible expectations . Go work somewhere else , believe the reviews. Lack of respect bordering on abuse
Hostile and Unsafe
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
A very hostile environment with extremely unattainable numbers and goals set by senior management.

Us techs have to work with almost no training. I was told I needed to go on the road after a month of ''work'' with absolutely no training or guidance. I was asked to work on the lift trucks even before having operator training.

The general idea of this place is treat your employee like slaves and make them work in extremely unsafe conditions, as long as the money comes in, all is good for them.
Pros
Being on the road means getting away from management
Great company - learning foundation
National Training Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 August 2018
I enjoy working for GNJ, Promoted through the ranks into a National Management Position. Recognized by my peers as a solid individual, passionate and observed as the ideal candidate to grow the market.
Pros
Great peers and clients
Disorganized
Technician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK23 May 2018
Disorganized company . You are made promises that aren't kept . They didn't want to pay the overtime . U get a team lead who tells you one thing but it's something different . Most unorganized company I've seen wouldn't recommend it . You think everything is going good till the day before your 3 month probation and they can u for no reason
Pros
Van
Cons
Unorganized, dishonest, no job security
Stay away
Road service technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2017
Like all the other reviews say, stay away!!! They provide almost 0 training. Extremely unsafe work environment with almost no safety training. Managers have no idea what they are doing. As a road tech you are the service advisor, parts technician, technician, and the appointment coordinator. You are somehow still expected to make 8 hours a day working on forklifts while doing 4 people's job and driving all over the city. This place is bad, stay away.
Shipper/reciever
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 August 2017
Aside from the guy the shipper reports to the Saskatoon branch was a decent place to work. Wages are on the low side for the position and the weight requirements are way more then the 50 lb posted. Sticky on some safety aspects and completely ignore important ones.
Pros
Most of the staff is fun and easy to get along.with
Cons
Craig astle
Great place to work at
National Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2017
A typical day at GN Johnston Equipment consisted of management of Major national accounts Daily. The workplace environment is great. I enjoyed the job work/life balance that they provided.
Embarrassed to be associated with them
Road tech (Former Employee) –  Ottawa10 March 2017
Was formerly a decent company. Times got tough, they showed their trust colors. Despite head office ramming down your throat about how workplace harassment, they themselves are the biggest abusers. I watched a close friend suffer harassment from another co-worker. Nothing was done
I tried to help him, but the manager was best friends with my buddies harasser. Company looked the other way. After a tearful last workday watching my coworker tremble in fear from harassment, He died of a heart attack !
Company made a big show at his funeral, but reneged on promised money to his wife and son. After his widow called for nearly a year, they didn't have decency to tell her that no, they had no money as promised. But a week later, they spent tens of thousands on an afternoon party at a downtown hotel, Just for a get together.
My friend was mistreated
His wife and kids still grieve the loss of their father.
If you're an actor with no mechanical skills but can tell jokes and party with managers, you'll do well at GNJ
Pros
Free van, free tools, stay at home earning $35 an hour while renovating your house, drive kids to school in company van, hang out at shop watching movies, pull your boat or 4 wheeler with company van
Productive and fun place to work at
Driver Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 November 2016
Productive and fun place to work at. Fast paced environment. Friendly staff. Good Management. Busy place. Everyday you learn something new.

Want to know more about G.N. Johnston Equipment?

Ask a question
Terrible Management
Road Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 June 2016
Terrible Morale. Managers treat employees with no respect, and do not provide the support necessary to do the job. Western Canada management team worst I have ever worked for. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Industry average salary
Cons
Backstabbing managers, no morale
Good work envrionment
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2016
I have worked for Johnston for a few years and I have had a good experience. People are friendly and helpful. I find there is a good work life balance and flexibility with management. I have had a chance to develop my administrative skills and have learned a lot about the industry. I feel that my job is rewarding both personally and professionally.
Dont waste your time
road service technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL23 December 2015
Used abused and shown the door...no concern what so ever towards safety. Nobody has sufficient training old boys club.... management is awful. Would not provide winter tires for service vans in remote part of Canada. Things were slow and they fired me instead of a lay off one week before Christmas. Greedy corporate giant backed by Toyota. Would not recommend this employer to my worst enemy.
Pros
company van
Cons
terrible management across canada
Friendly work place
Driver Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 November 2015
not much room available for advancement
it can be noisy at times because of the machines
clean workplace
free lunches at times
the corporate building looks very nice at the entrance
nice meeting rooms
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
noisy at times
Calm environment, determined co-workers.
Human Resources Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 September 2015
Calm environment, culture oriented.
A lot of organizations would be completely lost without the organization and prep work done by the administrative assistant who works there.I'm part of a team that keeps all the wheels turning.
Pros
Birthday lunches
Cons
Management approach at times
GN Jonhston Equipment
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 August 2015
It was a very fast paced environment, always something to do the days would go by fast. There was too many managers and not enough people performing what needed to be completed. Lots of overtime offered. The benefit package was great, they even had a pension plan after 2 years of service. There were about 300 employees at this company and 147 technicians on the road providing the services at the customer site. I learned a lot about working with many personalities and I learned that not everyone will get along especially in a large environment like that but its very important to stay professional at all times and just smile and say hi. The most enjoyable part of job was getting to post on the phone with the technicians they were so different from each other and it was amazing to see how different everyone really is from one another. I also enjoyed having a large lunch room where we could choose what kind of hot beverage we wanted, coffee, hot chocolate, french vanilla, tea or water it was all in a free machine in the lunch room.
Pros
Busy, benefits, Pension
Cons
Too many managers
GN Johnston Equipment
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2015
I would answer phone calls all day long and enter in the work orders from the technicians from the service department, I also collected PO's from customer at the same time. In between calls there was always something to do in the department. Filing the working orders checking work orders that had been mailed in by the technicians and enter the ones that were not in the system. It was always busy.
Pros
Great pay and benefits also had a pension
Cons
High stress environment/too many changes
Service technician
Road Technician (Current Employee) –  Delta bc25 September 2014
Awful employer. They lied about giving raises. Employees have no seen a raise in over 6 years. I don't recommend this company. They switched over to a cheaper benefits plan. Training is insufficient.
Managers get hefty bonuses. Everyone is over worked.
Great people to work with
Purchasing Agent / Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga18 December 2013
Daily dealing with service technicians and vendors.
I have grown as a person and with the company in my positions by starting out in the warehouse picking the orders to placing the orders with the vendors and making sure they arrive on time.
Hardest part of the job is the manager taking all responsibility away so he can micro-manage.
There is no movement to grow within the company for myself as they are only hiring bilingual and postings are not internal but only external, I have been turned away from 2 positions because I am not bilingual
Pros
Unlimited over time
Cons
not being able to grow within the company
Warranty Claims Clerk
Warranty Claims Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2013
I researched warranty claims daily to see if the clients were entitled to receive a warranty claim or not.
Daily data entry of cash sales. Filing

I was with this company through a job placement agency.

I enjoyed my time with this company.

No longer required any temps was reason for leaving.