G.B. Catering

G.B. Catering Work-life balance reviews

Canada35 reviews

Clear
3.2Pay & benefits

funhheheh hehhhhe hqejwefhfhefeh ch hsec he hec h ehc he che che c

Tough workplace, lots of hard work.... however if you put in the effort to get past the first few weeks.. You can have a great time. Plenty of time to take advantage of the facilities.

Fun place to be

Depending on your location for the summer job, its a great place to work as i believe your experience working here depends on the people you work with.

Pros

free food and fun place

Cons

sometimes long hours.

Insights into G.B. Catering

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job

Great place

The work environment was amazing. You live out doors and get to experience nature. But you work around 9-12 hours a day and only get 365 for the week as a dishwasher. Very easy to lose your job and not very secure. But overall it's a great place to work even if only for the environment.

Fun Work Enviroment

Getting along with everyone was easy, the fun began when i got assigned tasks in the kitchen and to do some inventory work in the walk-in fridge. It is an absolute pleasure to work at GB.

A lot of hard work and not enough pay

The Job is not worth it, not even for students. At the end of the summer a lot of people leave and they get anyone and it makes it an none safe environment to work. But that depends a lot on what kitchen your work in and the chef in charge if you are going to take this job ask who is the chef and how does he/she works.

Pros

Free food and Stay depending on the camp and how many activitys you are allowed to do, sometimes you get to do camp stuff but it´s not the same at all

Cons

None pay long hours, depending on the camp theres not a lot to do.

Learning exo

I met a lot of good people at g.b and had the opportunity to grow outside my comfort zone. This helped allow me to be open to learning new things and enchanting my experience there.

Pros

Gaining new connections with people, trying new food, getting to stay in a new city, taking part in new activities, learning new skills and utilizing old ones

Cons

Long hours, no holiday bonus, no pay for working overtime, hot kitchen with no A/C, lack of structured schedule

Long hours, low pay

The condition in the contract are likely not what you will be getting. Ik it seems like you’ll be able to tough out the long hours and (extremely) low pay but be weary, some days would run up to 13 hours straight with maybe a small 10 minute break in the morning. The activities you’re able to do will depend on the camp, but chances are you won’t have time to do them anyways. The food isn’t even good, and (my kitchen at least) was unsanitary at best.

No Bad

Good first job to get your foot in the door but that's it. Liked the facted that we had a place to stay and free food. Long hours for less than minimum wage. Good learning experience.

Fine Summer Job

The chef I worked with was great, made the job better as it included long days and hard work. The atmosphere was great, and the pay wasn't terrible. Overall a good summer job.

Pros

Free Food

Cons

Long Hours

It has its perks

Good place to work. If you are looking for advancement I would look somewhere else. Once you meet the chef requirements, there is no other job beyond that. You could be stuck in the same position for the next 8 or more years until you decide to leave because you want to be more challenged.

Pros

the people you meet

Cons

no possiblity of advancemnt

Decent

Long hours that could be worth it if you got the right pay. Living and food was accommodated but not worth it. overall an alright place but wont go back

Great Job For Entering the Catering/Cooking Industry

This summer I worked for GB Catering for the first time, and I learned so many techniques and tricks when it came to cooking (coming from someone who has never cooked). They have the tools and people to teach new employees about cooking and serving. If you are looking for a steady job, with great pay, an intro into the food industry, and enjoy the summer camp aspect, this is the job for you!

Pros

Free Food, The job forces you to save money since you are away from malls, restaurants, etc, great for beginner cooks and expert cooks

Cons

long hours, you can get unlucky with working at a not so great camp

Worst experience of my life

The hours are long, the head chef leaves early if they claim to be tired, leaving the clean up to you and your other co-workers. On average the work day is 15 h/day due to cleanup duties and prep for the next day (you are NOT paid beyond 12 h). Although required, the head chef DID NOT allow breaks most days, and every day, the shift began an hour early, again NOT compensated for. Daylight is missed almost every day, it is difficult to find the time to shower, and feed yourself. the workplace dynamic is TOXIC due to the low morale of the workers. Co-workers may even use manipulative tactics to keep you from leaving. Due to the manager not being present at all times, it can become hectic and the head chef is not a person to turn to if they are part of the problems/ if they previously worked with other members of the team and have a bias. NOT worth the low pay. Providing $6/h or less, especially when the work goes beyond 12h on a daily basis, and then claiming that the pay is low due to room and board is very unethical. Taking advantage of students seeking a summer job is immoral. I STILL have nightmares about my experience.

Pros

the rare days off (only if spent way from campgrounds)

Cons

LOW pay, LONG hours, low morale causing workplace conflict constantly, manager not present, isolation, few breaks

travaille dans une atmosphère agréable

Cela e été très plaisant de travailler avec cette compagnie. ils prennent sois de toi et t'aide à t'améliorer.

Pros

repas gratuit

Cons

longues heures

High intensity with a good environment

Lots of work but enjoyable. Learned a lot about the workings of a kitchen. Hardest part was the long hours. Overall my experience was good. A good job for someone interested in gaining experience in a kitchen and who enjoy being around friends.

Pros

The food

Poorly Managed

Work was manageable, and I learned valuable lessons about how to manage employees, and I made some good friends over the summer. I had some issues with a coworker though, and tried to bring it up with her and with our boss, but nothing was changed. I brought it up with the company and they did nothing to change it. Two other coworkers noticed as well and talked to GB about it, but still nothing was done.

if you like kids for here

really cool place to work, go to travel and see a few different summer camps, each camp was different with its own challenges would work here again for a summer

good job for a teen.

i enjoyed working there but it is LONG hours and the pay isn't very great. There is not job security and no forgivness for anything, your sick? too bad your working that 12 hour kitchen shift.

Kitchen staff were mistreated by campers and counsellors.

Through G.B. Catering, I worked at Camp Oochigeas. The place was beautiful but for such long hours the pay was not much. The kitchen staff was basically outcasted and told not to socialize with campers. Some of the other kitchen staff were very inexperienced. A lot of fights broke out between my co-workers. We went through 4 sous chefs and lost 3 dishwashers because of the workload and demands of the camp. I had a great summer because the kitchen staff was like a family but I would not do it again.

Pros

Free room and board.

Cons

Long hours. Huge workload. Many special food requests.

fun working environment

Working for GB Catering meant spending my summer living far away from home at a camp. I loved this opportunity as I got to meet many new people who are now close friends. I didn't find it hard working for them as everything was pretty basic and we followed a very organized routine. working wit people who are friends also makes it much easier.

Pros

living away from home, meeting new people, new experiences

Cons

long days, sometimes stressful

fun and exciting place to work

the owner makes you challenge yourself and is a great personto be around. She taught me a lot about the preparation of food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G.B. Catering. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement