G.B. Catering
View all G.B. Catering reviews

G.B. Catering

G.B. Catering Employee Review

Worst experience of my life

The hours are long, the head chef leaves early if they claim to be tired, leaving the clean up to you and your other co-workers. On average the work day is 15 h/day due to cleanup duties and prep for the next day (you are NOT paid beyond 12 h). Although required, the head chef DID NOT allow breaks most days, and every day, the shift began an hour early, again NOT compensated for. Daylight is missed almost every day, it is difficult to find the time to shower, and feed yourself. the workplace dynamic is TOXIC due to the low morale of the workers. Co-workers may even use manipulative tactics to keep you from leaving. Due to the manager not being present at all times, it can become hectic and the head chef is not a person to turn to if they are part of the problems/ if they previously worked with other members of the team and have a bias. NOT worth the low pay. Providing $6/h or less, especially when the work goes beyond 12h on a daily basis, and then claiming that the pay is low due to room and board is very unethical. Taking advantage of students seeking a summer job is immoral. I STILL have nightmares about my experience.

Pros

the rare days off (only if spent way from campgrounds)

Cons

LOW pay, LONG hours, low morale causing workplace conflict constantly, manager not present, isolation, few breaks

2.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Great first Job

Working for G.B. Catering was a new experience. You work under intense circumstances and sometimes isolated from your home. However, the staff and other workers are amazing and you learn so many skills in the kitchen in 3 months that will aid you in your future cooking.

Pros

Board, food, and utilities are provided, advancement opportunities

Cons

challenging work space, jumping around to different camps, male dominated field

Don't Work here

While the experience was worth it (The camp) the position was far from fair, pay taken away because of "lodging and food" when in reality the lodging was a hot small cramped, mouse infected space above the Ovens making it blistering hot, the ONE shower so small it was hard to use, and you are basically making your own food if you can find time to eat. The hours expected were unrealistic the overall quality of environment for someone who has never been in a similar one was rough and unforgiving, I would describe it to anyone as being thrown to the wolves. Worst of all was your lack of fair pay, the treatment that comes with the food service industry and the lack of patience and care about your well being, being more focused on the food and thats it. I would warn anyone that it is a very depressing and grey atmosphere, and that it might of just been the Camp I was at, but I found myself yearning to go home, at the verge of quitting if I had not been a dedicated worker.

Pros

The People (coworkers): Most are like you, they understand your plight

Cons

Everything else
Same role

great summer jobs for students

this was a great job but because im an adult and not a student it cost more to keep me so they laid me off and did not require my services anymore

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G.B. Catering. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • G.B. Catering
  • Worst experience of my life