G.B. Catering
View all G.B. Catering reviews

G.B. Catering

G.B. Catering Employee Review

great summer jobs for students

this was a great job but because im an adult and not a student it cost more to keep me so they laid me off and did not require my services anymore

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Same role

Worst experience of my life

The hours are long, the head chef leaves early if they claim to be tired, leaving the clean up to you and your other co-workers. On average the work day is 15 h/day due to cleanup duties and prep for the next day (you are NOT paid beyond 12 h). Although required, the head chef DID NOT allow breaks most days, and every day, the shift began an hour early, again NOT compensated for. Daylight is missed almost every day, it is difficult to find the time to shower, and feed yourself. the workplace dynamic is TOXIC due to the low morale of the workers. Co-workers may even use manipulative tactics to keep you from leaving. Due to the manager not being present at all times, it can become hectic and the head chef is not a person to turn to if they are part of the problems/ if they previously worked with other members of the team and have a bias. NOT worth the low pay. Providing $6/h or less, especially when the work goes beyond 12h on a daily basis, and then claiming that the pay is low due to room and board is very unethical. Taking advantage of students seeking a summer job is immoral. I STILL have nightmares about my experience.

Pros

the rare days off (only if spent way from campgrounds)

Cons

LOW pay, LONG hours, low morale causing workplace conflict constantly, manager not present, isolation, few breaks
Same role

Great first Job

Working for G.B. Catering was a new experience. You work under intense circumstances and sometimes isolated from your home. However, the staff and other workers are amazing and you learn so many skills in the kitchen in 3 months that will aid you in your future cooking.

Pros

Board, food, and utilities are provided, advancement opportunities

Cons

challenging work space, jumping around to different camps, male dominated field
Same location

Camp life

Long days but, if you like the lifestyle it can be highly rewarding. You will travel to some of the most scenic places in Ontario, cooking and feeding kids at overnight camps. Some locations include Camps Ouchimagaious, Hockey Opportunities, Canadian Adventure Camp and many others.

Pros

Living costs inc.

Cons

Must be willing to travel. Contract based

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G.B. Catering. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • G.B. Catering
  • great summer jobs for students