G.B. Catering Employee Reviews

No Bad
Kitchen Helper/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2019
Good first job to get your foot in the door but that's it. Liked the facted that we had a place to stay and free food. Long hours for less than minimum wage. Good learning experience.
Fine Summer Job
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON28 October 2018
The chef I worked with was great, made the job better as it included long days and hard work. The atmosphere was great, and the pay wasn't terrible. Overall a good summer job.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Long Hours
It has its perks
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON1 October 2017
Good place to work. If you are looking for advancement I would look somewhere else. Once you meet the chef requirements, there is no other job beyond that. You could be stuck in the same position for the next 8 or more years until you decide to leave because you want to be more challenged.
Pros
the people you meet
Cons
no possiblity of advancemnt
Decent
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Muskoka, ON10 September 2017
Long hours that could be worth it if you got the right pay. Living and food was accommodated but not worth it. overall an alright place but wont go back
Great Job For Entering the Catering/Cooking Industry
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON20 August 2017
This summer I worked for GB Catering for the first time, and I learned so many techniques and tricks when it came to cooking (coming from someone who has never cooked). They have the tools and people to teach new employees about cooking and serving. If you are looking for a steady job, with great pay, an intro into the food industry, and enjoy the summer camp aspect, this is the job for you!
Pros
Free Food, The job forces you to save money since you are away from malls, restaurants, etc, great for beginner cooks and expert cooks
Cons
long hours, you can get unlucky with working at a not so great camp
Worst experience of my life
Baker (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 April 2017
The hours are long, the head chef leaves early if they claim to be tired, leaving the clean up to you and your other co-workers. On average the work day is 15 h/day due to cleanup duties and prep for the next day (you are NOT paid beyond 12 h). Although required, the head chef DID NOT allow breaks most days, and every day, the shift began an hour early, again NOT compensated for. Daylight is missed almost every day, it is difficult to find the time to shower, and feed yourself. the workplace dynamic is TOXIC due to the low morale of the workers. Co-workers may even use manipulative tactics to keep you from leaving. Due to the manager not being present at all times, it can become hectic and the head chef is not a person to turn to if they are part of the problems/ if they previously worked with other members of the team and have a bias. NOT worth the low pay. Providing $6/h or less, especially when the work goes beyond 12h on a daily basis, and then claiming that the pay is low due to room and board is very unethical. Taking advantage of students seeking a summer job is immoral. I STILL have nightmares about my experience.
Pros
the rare days off (only if spent way from campgrounds)
Cons
LOW pay, LONG hours, low morale causing workplace conflict constantly, manager not present, isolation, few breaks
fun environment
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Arden, ON23 March 2017
Depends on where you are placed.
Great to meet new people.
Busy environment, demanding.
Lots of food prep needed, for large groups of people
would recommend
Pros
free accommodation on lake
Cons
not steady hours - depends on camp
It wasnt a bad place to work and the pay was good
Waitress, and Customer service, Open and close (Former Employee) –  Duncan BC18 March 2017
The management was not good, they were very hard to deal with.The staff was great and they pay was not bad. But I am not sure that I would work for her again
Pros
overtime
Cons
rude customer
travaille dans une atmosphère agréable
Aide en cuisine (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON9 October 2016
Cela e été très plaisant de travailler avec cette compagnie. ils prennent sois de toi et t'aide à t'améliorer.
Pros
repas gratuit
Cons
longues heures
Great first Job
Baker (Former Employee) –  Mactier, ON22 August 2016
Working for G.B. Catering was a new experience. You work under intense circumstances and sometimes isolated from your home. However, the staff and other workers are amazing and you learn so many skills in the kitchen in 3 months that will aid you in your future cooking.
Pros
Board, food, and utilities are provided, advancement opportunities
Cons
challenging work space, jumping around to different camps, male dominated field
High intensity with a good environment
Kitchen Assistant/dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON7 July 2016
Lots of work but enjoyable.
Learned a lot about the workings of a kitchen.
Hardest part was the long hours.

Overall my experience was good. A good job for someone interested in gaining experience in a kitchen and who enjoy being around friends.
Pros
The food
Poorly Managed
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 November 2015
Work was manageable, and I learned valuable lessons about how to manage employees, and I made some good friends over the summer. I had some issues with a coworker though, and tried to bring it up with her and with our boss, but nothing was changed. I brought it up with the company and they did nothing to change it. Two other coworkers noticed as well and talked to GB about it, but still nothing was done.
if you like kids for here
Sous chef (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON4 November 2015
really cool place to work, go to travel and see a few different summer camps, each camp was different with its own challenges would work here again for a summer
good job for a teen.
kitchen helper (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON6 May 2015
i enjoyed working there but it is LONG hours and the pay isn't very great. There is not job security and no forgivness for anything, your sick? too bad your working that 12 hour kitchen shift.
Don't Work here
Baker (Former Employee) –  Muskoka, ON15 February 2015
While the experience was worth it (The camp) the position was far from fair, pay taken away because of "lodging and food" when in reality the lodging was a hot small cramped, mouse infected space above the Ovens making it blistering hot, the ONE shower so small it was hard to use, and you are basically making your own food if you can find time to eat. The hours expected were unrealistic the overall quality of environment for someone who has never been in a similar one was rough and unforgiving, I would describe it to anyone as being thrown to the wolves. Worst of all was your lack of fair pay, the treatment that comes with the food service industry and the lack of patience and care about your well being, being more focused on the food and thats it. I would warn anyone that it is a very depressing and grey atmosphere, and that it might of just been the Camp I was at, but I found myself yearning to go home, at the verge of quitting if I had not been a dedicated worker.
Pros
The People (coworkers): Most are like you, they understand your plight
Cons
Everything else
Kitchen staff were mistreated by campers and counsellors.
Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  Rosseau, ON21 October 2014
Through G.B. Catering, I worked at Camp Oochigeas. The place was beautiful but for such long hours the pay was not much. The kitchen staff was basically outcasted and told not to socialize with campers. Some of the other kitchen staff were very inexperienced. A lot of fights broke out between my co-workers. We went through 4 sous chefs and lost 3 dishwashers because of the workload and demands of the camp. I had a great summer because the kitchen staff was like a family but I would not do it again.
Pros
Free room and board.
Cons
Long hours. Huge workload. Many special food requests.
environnement agréable
Aide cuisinière (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON19 September 2014
Très belle expérience à vivre, belle ambiance de travaille.
Pros
divertissant, enrichissant, belle équipe
Cons
travail 6 jour sur 7
great summer jobs for students
Baker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON3 August 2014
this was a great job but because im an adult and not a student it cost more to keep me so they laid me off and did not require my services anymore
summer camp kitchen help
Pot Washer/ Kitchen Helper, Salad Cook (Former Employee) –  Wapameo, Hurontario, Kandalore6 May 2013
Long days, but lots of fun being with other students. Learned lots about running a kitchen.
Best Part: getting great feedback from campers
Pros
free food and lodging
Cons
away from home and friends
fun working environment
Kitchen Helper/Tripper (Former Employee) –  huntsville on16 March 2013
Working for GB Catering meant spending my summer living far away from home at a camp. I loved this opportunity as I got to meet many new people who are now close friends. I didn't find it hard working for them as everything was pretty basic and we followed a very organized routine. working wit people who are friends also makes it much easier.
Pros
living away from home, meeting new people, new experiences
Cons
long days, sometimes stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G.B. Catering. Our community is ready to answer.