G.B. Catering

G.B. Catering Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews
Good place to spend summer.
The money is good if you consider you are not paying for meals for your housing while on the sites.

The cooking is easy kids camp favorites. There's lots of time for swimming.

Participating in camp activities varies by camp directors at given camps.
Great place
The work environment was amazing. You live out doors and get to experience nature. But you work around 9-12 hours a day and only get 365 for the week as a dishwasher. Very easy to lose your job and not very secure. But overall it's a great place to work even if only for the environment.
Very poor place to work for
Was a chef for half a season, worked 24/7 so it worked out to about $2.00 an hr would never recommend anyone to work for this company, the kids the hireto work with the chefs have never spent a day in a kitchen so you have to work your a off and train and babysit at the same time
Pros
Free food
Fun Work Enviroment
Getting along with everyone was easy, the fun began when i got assigned tasks in the kitchen and to do some inventory work in the walk-in fridge. It is an absolute pleasure to work at GB.
Pretty good
The workers and everyone there were really nice, the job was fairly easy, I feel like we should’ve gotten paid more but it’s OK for a starting off job
My camp and work life.
Red Pine camp if full of events for campers and employees. My job was to help in the kitchen. I made salads four different kinds of salads for 400-500 people everyday. I also help the chef, sous chef, baker, and other kitchen helpers. I helped with service every time I had a chance. I then clean every time i go in and out of a station. Before my shift ended, I made sure that the person after my shift was ready for anything, prepping was done my shift ended. Then after that I enjoyed mt days in thr camp.
A lot of hard work and not enough pay
The Job is not worth it, not even for students. At the end of the summer a lot of people leave and they get anyone and it makes it an none safe environment to work. But that depends a lot on what kitchen your work in and the chef in charge if you are going to take this job ask who is the chef and how does he/she works.
Pros
Free food and Stay depending on the camp and how many activitys you are allowed to do, sometimes you get to do camp stuff but it´s not the same at all
Cons
None pay long hours, depending on the camp theres not a lot to do.
Learning exo
I met a lot of good people at g.b and had the opportunity to grow outside my comfort zone. This helped allow me to be open to learning new things and enchanting my experience there.
Pros
Gaining new connections with people, trying new food, getting to stay in a new city, taking part in new activities, learning new skills and utilizing old ones
Cons
Long hours, no holiday bonus, no pay for working overtime, hot kitchen with no A/C, lack of structured schedule
Long hours, low pay
The condition in the contract are likely not what you will be getting. Ik it seems like you’ll be able to tough out the long hours and (extremely) low pay but be weary, some days would run up to 13 hours straight with maybe a small 10 minute break in the morning. The activities you’re able to do will depend on the camp, but chances are you won’t have time to do them anyways. The food isn’t even good, and (my kitchen at least) was unsanitary at best.
the environment was fun
working on the camps can be stressful but was fun. i had no problems working with this company other than when i got home sick. working there was like going on a vacation.
No Bad
Good first job to get your foot in the door but that's it. Liked the facted that we had a place to stay and free food. Long hours for less than minimum wage. Good learning experience.
Fine Summer Job
The chef I worked with was great, made the job better as it included long days and hard work. The atmosphere was great, and the pay wasn't terrible. Overall a good summer job.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Long Hours
It has its perks
Good place to work. If you are looking for advancement I would look somewhere else. Once you meet the chef requirements, there is no other job beyond that. You could be stuck in the same position for the next 8 or more years until you decide to leave because you want to be more challenged.
Pros
the people you meet
Cons
no possiblity of advancemnt
Decent
Long hours that could be worth it if you got the right pay. Living and food was accommodated but not worth it. overall an alright place but wont go back
Great Job For Entering the Catering/Cooking Industry
This summer I worked for GB Catering for the first time, and I learned so many techniques and tricks when it came to cooking (coming from someone who has never cooked). They have the tools and people to teach new employees about cooking and serving. If you are looking for a steady job, with great pay, an intro into the food industry, and enjoy the summer camp aspect, this is the job for you!
Pros
Free Food, The job forces you to save money since you are away from malls, restaurants, etc, great for beginner cooks and expert cooks
Cons
long hours, you can get unlucky with working at a not so great camp
Worst experience of my life
The hours are long, the head chef leaves early if they claim to be tired, leaving the clean up to you and your other co-workers. On average the work day is 15 h/day due to cleanup duties and prep for the next day (you are NOT paid beyond 12 h). Although required, the head chef DID NOT allow breaks most days, and every day, the shift began an hour early, again NOT compensated for. Daylight is missed almost every day, it is difficult to find the time to shower, and feed yourself. the workplace dynamic is TOXIC due to the low morale of the workers. Co-workers may even use manipulative tactics to keep you from leaving. Due to the manager not being present at all times, it can become hectic and the head chef is not a person to turn to if they are part of the problems/ if they previously worked with other members of the team and have a bias. NOT worth the low pay. Providing $6/h or less, especially when the work goes beyond 12h on a daily basis, and then claiming that the pay is low due to room and board is very unethical. Taking advantage of students seeking a summer job is immoral. I STILL have nightmares about my experience.
Pros
the rare days off (only if spent way from campgrounds)
Cons
LOW pay, LONG hours, low morale causing workplace conflict constantly, manager not present, isolation, few breaks
fun environment
Depends on where you are placed.
Great to meet new people.

Busy environment, demanding.

Lots of food prep needed, for large groups of people

would recommend
Pros
free accommodation on lake
Cons
not steady hours - depends on camp
It wasnt a bad place to work and the pay was good
The management was not good, they were very hard to deal with.The staff was great and they pay was not bad. But I am not sure that I would work for her again
Pros
overtime
Cons
rude customer
travaille dans une atmosphère agréable
Cela e été très plaisant de travailler avec cette compagnie. ils prennent sois de toi et t'aide à t'améliorer.
Pros
repas gratuit
Cons
longues heures
Great first Job
Working for G.B. Catering was a new experience. You work under intense circumstances and sometimes isolated from your home. However, the staff and other workers are amazing and you learn so many skills in the kitchen in 3 months that will aid you in your future cooking.
Pros
Board, food, and utilities are provided, advancement opportunities
Cons
challenging work space, jumping around to different camps, male dominated field
High intensity with a good environment
Lots of work but enjoyable.
Learned a lot about the workings of a kitchen.

Hardest part was the long hours.

Overall my experience was good. A good job for someone interested in gaining experience in a kitchen and who enjoy being around friends.
Pros
The food