FYidoctors Employee Reviews

Horrible company to work for!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2019
Numerous promises broken to new employees including their practice coaches! No raises, no promises training & no follow-through! They expect top notch performance from office staff but dont give any leadership development at the office level.

They are trying to grow so big so fast that they forget about their other offices & employees who helped them get to where they are today! Would not recommend anyone to work at an FYI Doctors!
Pros
Some of the employees
Cons
Too many to mention
14 March 2019

At FYidoctors, we believe feedback is valuable as we strive to provide an exceptional experience to both our patients and employees.

We believe emotionally intelligent collegial coaching conversations are extremely important and help promote our coaching culture, striving to provide an exceptional experience to both our patients and employees. Our industry-leading learning management platform with over 100 courses ranging in coaching, technical skills, and HR, accompanied by weekly webinars is designed to support personal growth and professional development. Our national connecting with coaches calls also offer in-depth discussions on best practices. We have programs in place for educational reimbursement to support team members financially and promote continued education.

At FYidoctors we have a quarterly bonus incentive program based on practice and team performance meant to recognize and reward achievements. We also have a merit increase process designed to align with our valuable team members based on performance. Beyond base pay and incentives we also have a benefit program that provides custom coverage through one of Canada’s top group insurance providers, the plan is flexible to meet the needs to the staff members. And a Staff Optical plan that is among the best in the industry.

We are disappointed that your time with FYi has been framed as a negative experience. If you would like to further discuss this to help us improve, please reach out 403-234-2020.

Clinic OD and staff were great but everything else outside of that was horrible!
Optician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 February 2019
The only reason I stayed as long as I did with FYi was because of the people I worked with. The management and the lab are horrible. Lots of lies. No pay raise to meet cost of living, received a pay raise after 2 years of 50 cents.
Pros
Clinic staff was like family
Cons
Don't trust head office or lab or deadlines
14 March 2019

We value the more than 2 years you invested with us. We loved hearing that you stayed because of the people, we hope you also stayed because of your ability to enhance patients’ lives. We are also disappointed to hear that your time with FYi has been framed as a negative experience. Our goal is for all of our employees to feel great about where they work.

We have a quarterly bonus incentive program based on practice and team performance, meant to recognize and reward achievements. We also have a merit increase process designed to align with employee performance.

The FYidoctors state-of-the-art ophthalmic laboratory and distribution centre is one of the most technologically advanced laboratories in North America; owned by our Doctors and employing Canadians servicing all FYidoctors and Visique clinics as well as external offices and partners. The 47,400-square-foot facility based in Delta, British Columbia, produces and distributes a wide array of optical products including 100% internal freeform lenses, coatings, brand label contact lenses, as well as exclusive, branded, and private label frames. We take pride in ownership of our Canadian facility and technically advanced lens manufacturing process.

Communication and data is key when submitting requests for our patients. When reviewing the actual numbers for the lab, the service level matches that of other labs around the world for the type of digital free form, coating and AR lenses manufactured. We have implemented quality checks in our world class lab that ensures our patients receive lenses that enhance the way  more... they see. There will always be challenges and exceptions however the labs goal is to deal with each as expeditiously as possible while maintaining the FYi quality standards we are known for.

Our hope is that we helped you see what we see in our future, what others see outside our organization, and most importantly, that we are providing exceptional service for our patients while producing significant value for all employees. Our goal is for all of our employees to feel great about where they work. We are sorry you feel we fell short of this goal. If you would like to further discuss this to help us improve, please reach out 403-234-2020.

Good enough when you do not have a choice
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC6 December 2018
I worked as an order picker, the environment is very high tech. For the amount and worth of glasses produced their compensation is not justified. Benefits are not bad but can be better.
Pros
Very nice facility
Cons
Minimum wage
Unfair place to work
AR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
At first they make you feel wanted and confortable but after a couple of weeks you notice that it's not a place where people are true to their word. They epect you to stay at work long hours without fair compensation.
5 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, we regret to hear you were dissatisfied with your experience after the first few weeks had passed.

Part of the fabric of FYidoctors includes a deeply-rooted coaching culture to support everyone through their career with us. Our coaches provide both positive and constructive feedback as we learn new skills and achieve the best of our abilities. If this support was not available to you, we sincerely apologize.

FYidoctors is a growing organization with full workdays that require an entrepreneurial spirit. We take pride in achieving professional commitments, striving to maintain reasonable hours and a positive fun work environment.

We are disappointed that your time with FYi has been framed as a negative experience. If you would like to further discuss this to help us improve, please reach out.

Toxic Work Environment
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 September 2018
I experienced harassment and intimidation from other staff in my area- staff that were supposed to support and help onboard a new employee- this created a work environment that can only be described as pure H-E-L-L. The culture at their home office is generally toxic.
Pros
Home office located next to a pub
Cons
no onboarding process, no training process, harrassment in the workplace goes unchecked
11 October 2018

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and we’re disappointed to hear of your experience.

At FYidoctors, we have a strong coaching culture where all members of the culture courageously engage in candid, respectful coaching conversations with one another about how they can improve their working relationships. Our hope is that with this training, all have learned to value and effectively use feedback as a powerful learning tool to produce higher levels of personal accountability, professional development, and high-trust working relationships.

The problems you have highlighted are not at all in keeping with our standards that we continually strive to maintain, and can assure you they are being reviewed. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail, we would be interested in hearing more and learning from your experience on how we can continue to improve and grow as an organization.

Not great pay
Optometric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB27 July 2018
Had fun while it lasted it is true company is growing but the corporate structure and pay is not good for what expectation is. Had fun with staff and most patients but no pay raise in over 9 months and it doesn't matter how great your sales or how much work you do.
Pros
Free glasses, fun atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, management needs to be overseen by anybody!
Not a company you want to stay with
Optical Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 July 2018
The company seems promising when you first begin but after 6 months there is no pay increase, or room for advancement. Company hires individuals without experience to underpay employees. The company culture is too Dr.Phil, management is poorly run.
Pros
Free glasses
Cons
Management, company culture, pay
Growing to be a big company, but lacks the structure
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 July 2018
Pros

Good heart. Good intentions. Lots of great ideas.
Starting to recognize transparency between departments is crucial.
The business outlook seems positive from the surface. But as with any growing corporation, the outlook is always questionable.

Cons

Lack focus. They want everything done, but fail to recognize they lack resource. As a result, gives unreasonable deadline. Poor implementation.
As the company grows, they stopped taking care of their employees and started to penny crunch (ie. eyecare benefits)
The promised annual reviews don't exist. The management team tried to implement "heart of coaching". The first couple of months was great when the …

Advice to Management

Don't give up on Heart of Coaching.
Review with staff annually to talk about career path to increase loyalty.
Fast paced customer service
Licensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 July 2018
serving doctors patients from start to finish.
in house lab, i worked.
my co workers are like family, just getting repetitive.
hardest part would be the customers expectations from the medical office. Its a fine line making someone happy hen you are combining retail and medical in one.
Pros
beautiful office
Cons
customer service
Great people
Optometric Assistant (Former Employee) –  British Columbia28 June 2018
Great place to work, but minimum wage pay for an Optometric technician. Everyone's nice including all the ODs. Great benefits for prescription glasses.

Want to know more about FYidoctors?

Ask a question
Awesome place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 June 2018
Great co-workers, the doctors are wonderful. workplace environment was top notch. If it weren't for me needing higher pay due to a growing family I would have stayed working there 100%
Fun job lots of activities lots of Parking Spot
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC21 May 2018
there's a lot of activities that can get into like if there's an event such bowling, games, and the some outdoor sports, BBQ etc. this only happen when there's a special occasion. easy to follow the procedure. light job.
Great place to work, fantastic staff
Optometrist (Current Employee) –  British Columbia25 March 2018
Impressive success story.
Top notch company, totally oriented to patient care and service.
I highly promote this company to all new & current OD's as the new direction for optometry in the future.
This company is defining eye care and wear as well as providing a cooperative work environment.
Pros
Being involved with a forward thinking company definning the future of eye care
Excellent place to work
Pre-test/ Contact Lens Technician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 March 2018
I absolutely loved working with my coworkers and the doctors were fantastic. Everyone is very friendly and would definitely recommend it as a place to work for sure!
Toxic environment
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2018
I used to love working here. It was a great place to work until they hired new executive management. They make poor decisions that affect the employees. The executive team is completely out of touch with their employees and don’t realize how poor the culture is now and how unhappy the employees are. There is a lot of pressure and very little benefit. There is also no transparency. Many people get let go for no reason. It was a very unhealthy environment.
Pros
The CEO and rest of the team are great
Cons
Long hours with no reward, toxic and negative environment
Forward thinking
Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia30 January 2018
Excellent team atmosphere with a positive work culture.
Extremely fast paced with continual learning and growing. With the fast pace comes continual multi-tasking but also a tremendous sense of accomplishment at day end.
Meeting and interacting with people all day makes it very interesting and making a positive difference in peoples lives every day makes it very rewarding.
Great company that cares about it's people and it's patients
eye doctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 January 2018
I have worked in the eye care business for 25 years and it can be a difficult and demanding profession. A great many things can go wrong with the human eye so there can be a lot of urgent work. It's very satisfying to know that your work has saved someone's sight. This company also does a tremendous amount of work with glasses. They source great frames from all over the world and have their own lens laboratory that is larger than most high schools. Everything is made custom for each patient. There are no on-line overseas knock offs. Products work better and feel better to wear and every time you turn around there is something new on sale in the eyewear department so there are always bargains to be had!
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hard to be flexible on work from home, patients need you present
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Manager is horrible to work for, she yells at her employees in front of customers, and if you make a mistake, she always threatens to fire you. And if you ask for time off. She tells you no all the time. The turnover is horrible there. She yells at customers as well.
Pros
Cons
Manager is horrible
Best Place to Work BY FAR
Practice Coach/Manager/Optician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 January 2018
Hands down this is the best place I've ever worked. FYi makes every effort to ensure that it's team members feel like just that. A member of a team, in a flat culture. Every team member matters, and is a name not a number. I'll retire from here.
Great employer
Practice Coach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 January 2018
I've been with FYIdoctors for 10 years. Great company to work for! all levels of management are approachable and willing to listen, as well as offer great feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FYidoctors. Our community is ready to answer.