FYidoctors Employee Reviews

Unfair place to work
AR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
At first they make you feel wanted and confortable but after a couple of weeks you notice that it's not a place where people are true to their word. They epect you to stay at work long hours without fair compensation.
Official response from FYidoctors
5 November 2018

Thank you for your feedback, we regret to hear you were dissatisfied with your experience after the first few weeks had passed.

Part of the fabric of FYidoctors includes a deeply-rooted coaching culture to support everyone through their career with us. Our coaches provide both positive and constructive feedback as we learn new skills and achieve the best of our abilities. If this support was not available to you, we sincerely apologize.

FYidoctors is a growing organization with full workdays that require an entrepreneurial spirit. We take pride in achieving professional commitments, striving to maintain reasonable hours and a positive fun work environment.

We are disappointed that your time with FYi has been framed as a negative experience. If you would like to further discuss this to help us improve, please reach out.

Toxic Work Environment
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary17 September 2018
I experienced harassment and intimidation from other staff in my area- staff that were supposed to support and help onboard a new employee- this created a work environment that can only be described as pure H-E-L-L. The culture at their home office is generally toxic.
Pros
Home office located next to a pub
Cons
no onboarding process, no training process, harrassment in the workplace goes unchecked
Official response from FYidoctors
11 October 2018

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and we’re disappointed to hear of your experience.

At FYidoctors, we have a strong coaching culture where all members of the culture courageously engage in candid, respectful coaching conversations with one another about how they can improve their working relationships. Our hope is that with this training, all have learned to value and effectively use feedback as a powerful learning tool to produce higher levels of personal accountability, professional development, and high-trust working relationships.

The problems you have highlighted are not at all in keeping with our standards that we continually strive to maintain, and can assure you they are being reviewed. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail, we would be interested in hearing more and learning from your experience on how we can continue to improve and grow as an organization.

Not great pay
Optometric Assistant (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB27 July 2018
Had fun while it lasted it is true company is growing but the corporate structure and pay is not good for what expectation is. Had fun with staff and most patients but no pay raise in over 9 months and it doesn't matter how great your sales or how much work you do.
Pros
Free glasses, fun atmosphere
Cons
Poor pay, management needs to be overseen by anybody!
Not a company you want to stay with
Optical Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 July 2018
The company seems promising when you first begin but after 6 months there is no pay increase, or room for advancement. Company hires individuals without experience to underpay employees. The company culture is too Dr.Phil, management is poorly run.
Pros
Free glasses
Cons
Management, company culture, pay
Growing to be a big company, but lacks the structure
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 July 2018
Pros

Good heart. Good intentions. Lots of great ideas.
Starting to recognize transparency between departments is crucial.
The business outlook seems positive from the surface. But as with any growing corporation, the outlook is always questionable.

Cons

Lack focus. They want everything done, but fail to recognize they lack resource. As a result, gives unreasonable deadline. Poor implementation.
As the company grows, they stopped taking care of their employees and started to penny crunch (ie. eyecare benefits)
The promised annual reviews don't exist. The management team tried to implement "heart of coaching". The first couple of months was great when the …

Advice to Management

Don't give up on Heart of Coaching.
Review with staff annually to talk about career path to increase loyalty.
Fast paced customer service
Licensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 July 2018
serving doctors patients from start to finish.
in house lab, i worked.
my co workers are like family, just getting repetitive.
hardest part would be the customers expectations from the medical office. Its a fine line making someone happy hen you are combining retail and medical in one.
Pros
beautiful office
Cons
customer service
Great people
Optometric Assistant (Former Employee) –  British Columbia28 June 2018
Great place to work, but minimum wage pay for an Optometric technician. Everyone's nice including all the ODs. Great benefits for prescription glasses.
Awesome place to work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 June 2018
Great co-workers, the doctors are wonderful. workplace environment was top notch. If it weren't for me needing higher pay due to a growing family I would have stayed working there 100%
Fun job lots of activities lots of Parking Spot
Warehouse Receiver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC21 May 2018
there's a lot of activities that can get into like if there's an event such bowling, games, and the some outdoor sports, BBQ etc. this only happen when there's a special occasion. easy to follow the procedure. light job.
Great place to work, fantastic staff
Optometrist (Current Employee) –  British Columbia25 March 2018
Impressive success story.
Top notch company, totally oriented to patient care and service.
I highly promote this company to all new & current OD's as the new direction for optometry in the future.
This company is defining eye care and wear as well as providing a cooperative work environment.
Pros
Being involved with a forward thinking company definning the future of eye care
Excellent place to work
Pre-test/ Contact Lens Technician (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 March 2018
I absolutely loved working with my coworkers and the doctors were fantastic. Everyone is very friendly and would definitely recommend it as a place to work for sure!
Toxic environment
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2018
I used to love working here. It was a great place to work until they hired new executive management. They make poor decisions that affect the employees. The executive team is completely out of touch with their employees and don’t realize how poor the culture is now and how unhappy the employees are. There is a lot of pressure and very little benefit. There is also no transparency. Many people get let go for no reason. It was a very unhealthy environment.
Pros
The CEO and rest of the team are great
Cons
Long hours with no reward, toxic and negative environment
Forward thinking
Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia30 January 2018
Excellent team atmosphere with a positive work culture.
Extremely fast paced with continual learning and growing. With the fast pace comes continual multi-tasking but also a tremendous sense of accomplishment at day end.
Meeting and interacting with people all day makes it very interesting and making a positive difference in peoples lives every day makes it very rewarding.
Great company that cares about it's people and it's patients
eye doctor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS24 January 2018
I have worked in the eye care business for 25 years and it can be a difficult and demanding profession. A great many things can go wrong with the human eye so there can be a lot of urgent work. It's very satisfying to know that your work has saved someone's sight. This company also does a tremendous amount of work with glasses. They source great frames from all over the world and have their own lens laboratory that is larger than most high schools. Everything is made custom for each patient. There are no on-line overseas knock offs. Products work better and feel better to wear and every time you turn around there is something new on sale in the eyewear department so there are always bargains to be had!
Pros
Great team
Cons
Hard to be flexible on work from home, patients need you present
Enjoyed the people I worked with
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Manager is horrible to work for, she yells at her employees in front of customers, and if you make a mistake, she always threatens to fire you. And if you ask for time off. She tells you no all the time. The turnover is horrible there. She yells at customers as well.
Pros
Cons
Manager is horrible
Best Place to Work BY FAR
Practice Coach/Manager/Optician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 January 2018
Hands down this is the best place I've ever worked. FYi makes every effort to ensure that it's team members feel like just that. A member of a team, in a flat culture. Every team member matters, and is a name not a number. I'll retire from here.
Great employer
Practice Coach (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 January 2018
I've been with FYIdoctors for 10 years. Great company to work for! all levels of management are approachable and willing to listen, as well as offer great feedback.
working for a company that makes you feel passionate about your job
Optician (Current Employee) –  French Creek, BC4 January 2018
The best part about this career is that every single day is different, there is always a new patient experience or new skill to learn.

I have learned how to give the best possible patient care while working with FYidoctors. It is great to work for a company that cares about the best patient experience and care instead of just getting the most sales.

The hardest part of my job would be learning to multitask at every moment of everyday. We are in a constantly growing community and each busy day brings us a new challenge. From helping multiple patients at once, pre-testing to doing adjustments and trying to get paper work done, we have an amazing team that is always willing to help each other. The most enjoyable part of my job is having educated and reliable teammates to make everyday at Fyidoctors the best it can be!
Pros
Good teammates, staff appreciation activities and lunches, flexible hours
Cons
difficult customers
Industry leader in patient care
Management (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
I have been with FYidoctors now for over 4 years and have seen unbelievable growth and improvements to the culture, operations and quality of patient care. Very passionate group of people and an executive team that is humble and open to ideas and suggestions. Poised for continued growth in the upcoming years. Join this great organization now if you can!
Pros
Quality equipment, amazing patient care, great work life balance
Cons
Always changing and growing so you have to be open to change
Feels like family!
Practice Coach (Current Employee) –  Campbell River, BC3 January 2018
I have been with this company for 8 years strong and will be here for as many more as I can.
I found that if you have the right character then advancement within the company is encouraged. They have a coaching philosophy and everyone at Home Office, including the CEO is approachable and will listen to you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FYidoctors. Our community is ready to answer.