FYidoctors
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

FYidoctors Employee Reviews

Canada138 reviews

Great introduction to the optical world

I started working at FYIDoctors in 2018 as pre-test and thoroughly enjoyed the work. At the time a few of the people I worked with weren’t the greatest but I enjoyed the work. The free glasses and benefits were great as were the doctors in my clinic. The work was fast paced and busy but I very much felt like I could manage and advance. I left after 1.5 years for a job in ophthalmology but after 2 years came back. I rejoined at my original clinic in September 2021 and it has been great. The new practice coach is wonderful and the unlikable employees are no longer here, making it a much more relaxed workplace. I do believe that every clinic will vary depending on the doctors and employees. The pace is still fast and I’m mostly working pre-test but I also handle the inventory management now.The wage, however, is something to be desired. If I was making a living wage I likely wouldn’t leave as I love the office and the work, but seeing as this is not the case I will be going back to school.

Pros

Benefits, Work-life balance, Great environment and patients, Learning opportunities

Cons

Lack of appropriate pay

Positive leaders.

This organization is one of the few that fostering personal development. You can learn what you want at your own pace with the FYidoctors University. You dictate where you want to go. Promotes from within first. Coaching Collorative Culture. RESPECTS Diversity!Plans ahead for a strong future.It is Canadian!

Pros

QUARTLY Bonuses once KPI's are met, Coaching Collorative Culture, Free eye health exams per year. 2 pairs of free glasses per year.

Cons

Can be a little bit to sugary, sometimes comes off as fake or cult like.

Insights into FYidoctors

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Manipulative, no balance

This company will get you excited, then work you until you burn out, then they will discard you.Expect mediocre pay, long hours, and half -truths from leaders. They say they have a coaching culture, and sometimes they do, but a lot of leaders are like jeckel and Hyde - sometimes they coach, sometimes they decree without even having all the information.

Great company

I’ve worked at 3 different clinics and all are amazing. They are willing to educate you and good at showing employee appreciation. But definitely ask for you top dollar as raises are hard to get

Pros

Education

Cons

Hard to get a raise

Great culture and growth opportunities!

Lots of opportunities for grow within the company and it's a very rewarding profession! It's a fast paced environment with a great group of people that really care about enhancing the lives of others.

fun workplace

fyidoctors has great benefitstwo free pairs of glasses a yearsick days/vacation days paid lunch great coaching and management great coworkers!!!

Work hard for little pay

FYI has been the worst company I’ve ever worked for. How do you expect people to work hard and meet sales goals with zero compensation. Min wage is such a joke with very high expectations from corporate. Do yourself a favour and DON’T WORK HERE!!

Pros

Free glasses

Cons

They pay you as little as possible

Productive and challenging with great work/life balance

The team (doctors, reception, pretest and dispensing staff) are amazing and always put patient care first. Everyone shares knowledge and helps one another. The entire organization is there to help and are quick to respond to questions. The coaching atmosphere is extremely supportive. Work/life balance is recognized as important. It's so easy to come to work when you love what you do!

Pros

Benefits, coaching environment, opportunities for advancement, educational opportunities, employee appreciation, amazing co-workers

Doctors are great but practice manager not so good.

Don't bother working for this company you don't get paid enough for the stuff you deal with. They expect so much from you so don't have a life either. Not worth your time.

I would keep looking

If you are interested in optometry, I would look elsewhere. While you do not need optical experience to work there, they’ll pay you much less if you do not. If you do have experience, the pay is quite low to comparable positions elsewhere. Even people working there for 20 years make very low wages. The environment itself is not great, lots of toxicity especially amongst long term employees. Turnover rate is very high and the workload is high for the benefits/pay received.

Pros

Benefit plan

Cons

Pay Nepotism

Great place to earn valuable learning experience in a busy office.

Great place to work if you want to get invaluable work experience. I worked there for over 3 years and don’t regret it for one minute. The Doctors I worked with were the best in the industry. (Soft-spoken, kind, knowledgeable, and really cared about their patients). I never would have left if it hadn’t been for cost of living in the area. Benefits were great and should be considered as it can help negate health expenses if you don’t already have health benefits through a partner/spouse.

Pros

Great team effort, All the tools needed to learn the job are provided, Opportunities to upgrade skills, Extended health benefits, Free glasses/Exams, Meet lots of people and is a lot of fun, Overtime, paid Stat Holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation, latest technology used to provide patients with utmost care. Patients are always your #1 priority

Cons

Due to it being a corporation, there is a low $ ceiling/cap for even the most experienced, loyal, and qualified employees.

Toxic management and no raises or room for advancement.

Toxic management, picks favourites and treats everyone else poorly. Upper management does little to help the situation. Little to no raises ever and depending on where you live, almost no opportunity for advancement unless you relocate. There are NO bonuses no matter what management tells you. Doesn't pay a living wage. You'll be scrapeing by as new hires come in making the same or more than you.

Cons

Doesn't pay a living wage, toxic work culture

Great atmosphere and place to learn

Common misconception is that you need a lot of schooling to enter into the optical field. I came from retail and learned from my peers as well as the course offered through the company. It’s got a great feel, very patient focused with lots of support from management. If you want to learn, there is always something new each day!

Pros

Great benefits, staff lunches & coffee, great hours

Cons

Working Saturdays

Busy and catty people

Busy workplace but very catty up front people. No job training, they just throw you in and then get annoyed when you have to ask for help. Extremely poor management. Management doesn’t want to help solve problems, just places blame and moves on.

Fun and Productive Place to work

I really enjoy working at FYI Doctors. We are a great Team, from Head office down to the receptionist. I enjoy the interaction with patients and helping them with their vision needs. We have an awesome Team and work well together. There are opportunities for more learning and advancement.

Pros

Free glasses benefit, Medical Insurance

Proud to work for this company

FYidoctors is a great place to work. I have been here for almost 9 years and have 3 different positions over the years. There are opportunities if you are looking. I love the people part of this job from the patients to the staff at all levels, including leadership and HO. Is the company perfect, No, no company is. But they make the right decisions for the right reasons. Integrity and caring are the 2 main traits that come to mind for me when I think of this company. Do we work hard? Absolutley. Are there tough days? Of course. Is it worth it? I completely believe it is!

Pros

Great benefits, culture, team environment

Cons

fast pace, if you don't like that (I do), lots to remember with optical knowledge

Supportive and engaging environment with opportunity to grow with a company with an inspiring vision.

FYidoctors has supported growth, opportunity and engagement since I began. The leadership truly cares about their employees as well as every patient that walks through the door. I am happy to be part of a great team.

Pros

Bonus plans, Coaching Culture, Growth Opportunities...

Cons

Fast paced environment, but it makes days fly by.

A wonderful company to build a career with.

FYidoctors is a strong employer with values that put enhancing life in the forefront with both the patients and staff/ODs. They walk the talk in living a coaching culture which is very unique for a company this size. Their strong business model has recently garnered the 'Top 50 Best Managed Companies' award. They invest in their people and are actively engaged in the staff's personal and professional development. This is an amazing company to partner with for those people looking for more than a job, but a career that will grow and provide numerous opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Benefits package, RRSP/TFSA contributions, mobility (with over 300 locations), professional development.

Great people to work with

The minimum wage is not enough for the amount of work we have here that's the only problem I have in this company. The benefits are great and this is the friendliest facility I worked with.

Pros

Benefits, Good management, Friendly environment, Overtime

Cons

Unrealistic quota, Minimum wage, Amount of work

Don’t do it. Strip instead honestly. It’s less pain

came early, stayed late, covered shifts and still got in trouble if I needed a day off for health reasons. Manager is horrible!! WOULD MUCHHHHH rather fail a pregnancy test then go back here

Pros

Dispensing staff

Cons

Manager (you know who you are)

Productive and good place to work at.

It is very Steep learning position but is really fun if you like to learn new skills and get more experience. Management is really great and supportive . Positive workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FYidoctors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement