FWS Group Employee Reviews

The good and the bad
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2018
The good: Above-average compensation in a lot of positions, really good benefits, decent vacation, modern office spaces. The people are a key strength.

The bad: Advancement opportunities are limited to a chosen few and the culture is deadly and soul-sucking, particularly to women looking for a progressive environment. Women in all areas have left and continue to leave due to the new boys' club being installed at all levels.

Men also experience a demeaning and harassing environment where supervisors and managers take credit and do their best to make others look bad so they look better. It really doesn't matter much what area you work in. If someone senior to you wants your responsibilities, they will take what they like and won't be hindered. If your job is changed, it likely won't be communicated until you find out from someone who is not your direct supervisor or through a job posting that you happen upon.

It might be a good foot in the door in the construction industry. It might have enough good people that you can overlook the corporate culture, but I would not recommend trying it. There are other options out there.

If you're a handsome, young, male engineer who didn't do particularly well in school but likes to golf and drink beers with the boys without having to worry about silly little things like equality, this may be the place for you. And if you do it well enough, you'll move up the ranks quickly.
Pros
Salary, work conditions
Cons
Limited advancement
Excellent Safety Culture
Welder (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan28 January 2018
Great company, the Safety culture is one of the best I have worked with. Site I am on is one of the most organized I have seen. Employees are trained and competent at what they do.
Money could be better and the benefits could as well
expect to work 100 hours bi weekly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2017
everyone wanting something now and expecting you to get it now even though they knew they needed it a month ago, a lot of yelling , drama and arguing goes on. You will be expected to work long hours for not great pay. No one shows anyone respect , you are constantly made to feel your not part of the team and have no value.
Pros
each site has a different superintendent, if you don't work well with someone you might never have to work together again
Cons
no job security
Ok to work for
Assistant Construction Manager/Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2017
I was in charge of the daily operations and the sub contractors that came to site. Looked after the schedule and budget. Hired personel as needed and organised the subs .
Overworked and lack of direction but fun projects
Office staff (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 April 2017
No clear direction from management
Overworks employees - both office and site
Fun project work with decent pay
Lack of integrity and follow through
great workout
Operating buggy (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB6 January 2017
it is cement work so its not so easy. but a great workout for those who can handle it. I was a buggy pusher which is a barrel full of cement which also has wheels on it.
Pros
free lunch and rooms
Cons
12 hr days
was productive and good company
Skilled Labourer/Welders Helper (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK26 April 2016
met a lot of people who were a good team and easy going, We would start early and get in at least 10-12 hrs a day which was good for the wallet. the hardest part of the job was leaving home.
Pros
great on safety and paid for our rooms
Cons
had to share hotel rooms
Excellent Company to work for!
Project Planner/ Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2016
Great company to work for! The people are really nice and they provide lots of opportunities for growth.
The work is highly technical, but lots of fun!
New construction environment
Welder (Current Employee) –  northgate, saskatchewan18 August 2015
Working with various tradesman and learning the construction process of building a grain terminal from the cement base up 130 feet to the completed level, as well as all the structural steel involved in the use of the conveyors from bin to bin and the transfer of truck to various bins into railcar.
very hard work but i enjoyed going to work everyday!!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Morris & Portage La Prairie, MB16 March 2015
I did 12 hr day shifts, learned about safety in work place and confined space. my co-workers were out going and easy to get along with met a lot of new people and I enjoyed it! the hardest part of the job was that the constant lift of buggies filled with concrete, but overall it was good. for me the most enjoyable part of this job is that it showed how hard of a worker I am and how motivated I am to show up for work and do my job right.
they had a safe work place
Superintendent/Foreman (Former Employee) –  calgary , brooks29 July 2014
it was ok lots of long days very long days

the upper manigment was ok
Pros
good pay
Cons
long long hours