FURNITURE BANK

FURNITURE BANK Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
I only volunteered here but enjoyed my time there and learned to use programs such as quickbooks and salesforce. Unfortunately there were no paid positions available so I had to find a job elsewhere.
I had a leader not a boss in this organization. I grow in my career from bookkeeper to controller due to very collaborative, supportive and constructive feedback from my peers and my supervisor.
Management steals time from you. They overwork you they try and make you work 88 hours in a two week span before you get overtime. Some employees are dirty and have bed bugs so you have to constantly watch out not to get it. They send you to insanitary homes at times that are dirty and filled with bed bugs and cockroaches. Management does not care about you it’s all about exploiting you while giving you minimum wage. You won’t even get a bald tire replacement on your truck even in the winter. They have no problem risking your life they don’t care. Once again stay away if you want to keep your house bugs free especially from a few dirty employees that have the bugs. Management is well aware but does not care. Also they charge ridiculous prices to take your furniture but they have a contract with the city of Toronto that allows them to dump any items in the city of Toronto dump sites at taxpayer cost. Basically your items that you donate might not make it to the floor it will just end up at the dump To keep furniture bank revenue going.
Hired as a Delivery Driver. But, it seemed it was more heavier labour intensive in house warehouse work than drop offs and deliveries of the furniture.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
A lot of heavier warehouse work.
Physically draining. Mentally exhausting, but go home knowing you did something great for someone else. Makes it worth while. Management care about you here, and it shows. You feel appreciated.
Excellent place to work, pay is okay and the work is hard. Culture is awesome and they provide a fantastic work/ life balance. The job has some sweet perks as well. No real room to move up in the company though as they tend to hire from outside. Thoroughly enjoyed my time working for furniture bank.
Pros
Paid vacation/ plus paid time off at christmas/ benifits/ other perks/ very rewarding job
Cons
Disorganised/ communication from managment to employees is lacking sometimes.
Load a truck full of donated furniture and bring the furniture to people in need whether that be a refugee or a person transitioning from homelessness
Pros
2 week break over Christmas Paid
Cons
Had to work outside
Extremely safety conscious deal effectively with deadlines great people to work for.upbeat and willing to take on New projects.strong communication skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Great place for an internship where people are willing to help and teach you all the things that you need to know to become successful in the field, with people who are understanding of your needs as a new intern.
I worked at Furniture Bank as Bookkeeper in a Co-op position. I worked recording Account Payables in QuickBooks and helping in diferent activities such as reconciliations, filing documents and updating employees´s information in the HR Software. Furniture Bank is a non profit organization that provide furniture to help families in need. It has an amazing work team . People there are really friendly and cooperative
Pros
Friendly and cooperative environent
Cons
Little far from home
Amazing working enviroment for staffs and workers and customers. The furniture bank toronto offers cheap to no payment furnitures to new comers and homeless people around the GTA.
It is a company that dedicates to helping families or people in need by donating furniture and different household items to these individuals so they could start building a sustainable life.
It is mostly volunteers that work here taking care of the furniture, with the administration staff being the actual workers.

Every worker is very friendly and are always open to help.

Very organized management.

Hardest part of the job was getting there, it is very far west of Toronto, in Etobicoke area.
Pros
Good reference for resume
Cons
Did not cover bus fare
I was an inbound agent. My job was to raise money from our furniture pick up service. I got the opportunity to learn how to talk on the phone you donors and clients. I was also the truck dispatcher. I would route the three trucks and take care of any driver inquiries‎.
I learned how to handle myself on the phones and to refine my sales tactics.

The management at Furiture Bank was extremely pleasant to deal with. Their doors were always open if you had any concerns what so ever.

Furniture Bank had the most family oriented atmosphere I have ever experienced in a work place. It was only a small staff, but they all felt like an extended family to me.

We dealt with a lot of homeless people and people with mental issues, so the hardest part of that job was dealing with. You had to handle those situations with care and patience.

The easiest part of the job was meeting people from all walks of life. It really made me realize how lucky most of us are.
The furniture bank is a very nice place. The people are great, and it benefits people who can not afford expensive furniture. I am glad to have worked there.
The salary was not that good, but it is primarily volunteer based so it was not expected to get a high pay.

It was also only a once a week job, but I would have loved to be there more often.

My co-worker was reliable and dependable.

The management at the warehouse was very organized and extremely well done.

The hardest part of the job would be the end of it. It was 10 hour shifts which mostly consisted of lifting and loading heavy pieces of furniture.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping those not as fortunate as others, giving them furniture and even delivering it to their doors.
Pros
Free lunch, possibility of free furniture.
Cons
bad salary, hard on the back and muscles at times