Fundraising Direct

Fundraising Direct Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
The people you meet and work with are fantastic, you will make friends for life here. The work itself is rewarding and the people you work beside are great. The job itself isn't too hard if you don't take rejection personally and are ok asking people for money. The upper management is a bit of a mess, they lack good communication, transparency, and there is low job security - you will probably spend a lot of time thinking you could loose your job/hours at any time for any reason.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
The pay and bonuses. There are always issues, so get ready to fight for your well earned money
Pros:-
1. People are nice and very cooperative.

2. Friendly and positive environment.

3. The coaching they provide helps not only in calls but also for dealing with people on daily basis.

4. Great place to start getting experience in customer service

Cons :-

1. Pay is low

2. They may push you to get through all asks sometimes

Overall - a good place to start
Everyone at this company is incredibly young and thus the management of 100+ people is done so excruciatingly poorly. Workers are often underpaid and there is so little job security you are constantly on your toes, regardless if you've "moved up in the company", liked, work hard or not. As a menial call center job, many people come and go and that is what they rely on. This also means a lot of good faces come in and out and there are connections and friends to be made, however it does not outweigh just how mismanaged and in shambles everything is all the time.
Like most call centers, just wasted my time, with no growth or guidance. Felt like i was invisible and honestly did not learn anything from the job. Left shortly after
Literally all you do is call up people and do surveys. You are sitting in small cubicles and the place is extremely dirty and run down. Chairs are gross and broken. Bathrooms are shared for boys and girls, which is not okay. They messed up my pay on two occasions, once over 500$ missing. When i went to complain about this they said it was an error, and then it happened again. Mostly low class people who work here. Avoid at all costs. This place will get you nowhere.
A great place to meet people but otherwise, nothing too great about this joint.

Unprofessional management, dull workplace and a lot of favouritism. They screw with their employees and dispose of them when they’ve juiced them all out.

If you decide to work there, find a plan B.
Leaving for work was the best part to be honest. I would walk into work feeling anxious the whole time. At first I liked it cause I wasn’t being coached as much but then they kept coaching me and then I got tired of the job. When they fired me one of them cried as if she cared but I didn’t believe any of that BS. If you want a stable job don’t work here. They kept telling me to not come in around the holidays.
Great place to work. Not a typical call centre environment. You can change your shifts based on availability. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to reach the goals set as well as you can connect to those offering donations.
Yeah, it's simple. It's a job. I'm a very "do what you've got to do" type of person, but this was just mentally draining. They force you to push, and push, and push. I've gotten pledges and I met my targets fine, but there's the off call where I'll be speaking to an elderly person who explains that they're on a pension, or they're dealing with an ill family member. Either way there's a sadness in their voice that would make any person with morals feel guilty for pushing and pushing and pushing. And since, y'know, I do have morals, I thank them for their support and move on. Only to get 'coached' and told that I need to push through the asks. "Remember, you're still doing something good for the charities". Oh, gimmie a break. They feed you that garbage but all they care about is making money.
Pros
young environment
Cons
dull, low morals, capitalism
This role teaches you negotiation and communication skills in a fast paced environment. It is a good opportunity for students looking for part time work.
Overall I genuinely like FD. The team is really nice and friendly. The charities they work with are pretty great. They’re really flexible with scheduling, if you need to you can easily move shifts.

The job is definitely not for everyone. It can be really tough and tiring if you’re talking to a lot angry supporters.
Pros
Flex schedules, conviennent location, opportunity to advance
Cons
Difficult campaigns and difficult supporters
Fun and simple job, easy to learn and grow within the team.
Hours are kind of rough, especially being forced a minimum. No cell phone rule and no entertainment to keep you busy during dead calls was a bit dull but liveable
Everyone is friendly. The job is hard since you need to reach/hit the campaign targets. Unfortunately, I did not pass the probation because I was not able to reach their target even though I come to work on time or before the time and aside from that I am being switched to different campaigns which requires big adjustment. They should be considerate enough to know that not at all times the supporters/donors will give.

Campaign Managers sometimes act unprofessionally and are always focus on numbers not knowing that their fundraisers are already demotivated even though they are trying their best to get pledges.

People come and go so you will find new faces. If you want money for a short time then apply but if you want job security then it's a thumbs down.

Overall, it's a great company. There are no perfect companies. You may try and experience it for yourself.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Cons
Target is hard/impossible to reach
The worst company I have ever been. The job is humanitarian or charity campaign however they don't treat employees good as they treat them as numbers. They have bad facilities
Pros
Cons
All except location
They require you to work a minimum of 20 hours a week if you are part time and are not understanding at all about needing to work less sometimes because of school.

You are required to log out of the system for bathroom breaks because they do not pay you for those. If you take even a minute or two more on your 15 min break, they don’t pay you for that either. You are constantly told to check your pays because they dock so much off of them.

You get yelled at constantly by donors because the agency calls them up to 10-15 times a week, and when a donor says no or gets annoyed, you are still expected to “get those asks in there.”

The only upside about working there is that people are really nice and friendly. Other than that, don’t work there. Seriously.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Everything else
I worked as a fundraiser while I was in school, and found FD to be a good fit as a student. There are a lot of great people working there, you get to call for good causes, and the culture is pretty fun. I really liked knowing that the work I was doing was making a difference in the world. Sometimes you will talk to supporters who are hard on you, and it can be hard to ask for money, but the good days make up for the bad. Scheduling is pretty good for students.
Pros
Contribute to Good Causes, Good Schedule, Fun Experience
Cons
Tough Calls
I've been working here for over a year and have really enjoyed my time with FD. Obviously, at the end of the day, it is a job, and any job is going to be difficult, but the negative aspects of being a fundraiser, in my opinion, are outweighed by the positives.

Right off the bat, the most appealing part of the job is the fact that you do get to work for many Canadian charities that have a direct impact on people's lives. It may be hard to see at first but through briefings with the clients and the different campaign feedback we'd receive, we can see that our work on the phones has a real effect on the many great causes. For example, I've been a part of several emergency campaigns a year for the Canadian red Cross and we routinely raise tens of thousands of dollars that go directly to the impacted families.

Other than that the work environment is very comfortable. The people are very friendly and nice; and the management, while still being management ultimately, seems to be trying their hardest to have the fundraiser's best interests in mind when making decisions.

There are definitely places that FD needs to improve on, for example resources are often limited for things like headsets and chairs. And if I had to say one thing about the culture, there is a tendency to let people get away with things more than they probably should. However, since I've been here I've definitely noticed a significant improvement on this front. And for sure the hardest thing about working here, at least for me, was the hour spread. The shifts are within a 1-9 PM time frame, and while there
 - more...
Pros
Flexible hours (you get to choose your schedule), You feel like you're making a difference, friendly people and comfortable work environment
Cons
tricky hours, low resources at times, periods of high stress when understaffed
Most of the company stuff (chairs, headsets, etc.) are falling apart. The office is grey and uninviting.

My biggest problem is with management. They have clear "favourite" employees who will never get in trouble for breaking the rules, meanwhile the person right next to you might get fired for something you've seen someone else do a million times.

They promote based on who they like better, not who is best qualified for the job.

The CEO of the company will even avoid taking the elevator with call centre agents if he can. He is very self-important and I find this behaviour disgusting.

This is the most awful place I have ever worked and I sincerely hope that anyone who reads this turns around and runs away--unless you're really strapped for cash.
management is a mess, snakes in the grass

some men in the office can harass and be intrusive, but if you find nice people (which is most of the office), go in and do your work and mind your business its not a bad place. the work is simple and fun from time to time, but can be draining.

you dont get paid for bathroom breaks and they will cheat you on your pay, so pay close attention and write down your own hours.
Pros
fun environment, nice people, work can be rewarding
Cons
long hours, non paid breaks, management
Official response from Fundraising Direct
14 May 2018
Thank you very much for the feedback. We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience.

We take harassment very seriously. Please reach out to a member of management team and we would be happy to address this.
I was fired from the company after having been there a little over a year. In retrospect it wasn't a role I excelled at but I really enjoyed the energy and people I worked with until I mentally checked out after about 8 months.

A typical workday is spent in excel and e-mail with some powerpoint. The emphasis on client servicing means that there is a strict deliverables schedule which has you generating the same documents daily, weekly, monthly with only minor updates.

All your time will be spent on billable hours to ensure that these documents are free of formatting and programming errors before having them processed. Errors are rampant on both company and client produced databases and you will have to resolve corrupted numbers, formula errors, columns that auto apply specific formatting etc.

Excel templates do exist but are frequently manipulated to accommodate new metrics and data quirks that can't be resolved company/client side.

The management structure was peculiar; the business is growing while suffering from high turnover. At the time of my dismissal I had the most seniority of the 4 account coordinators as 1 had been promoted and 3-4 had either quit or been let go. As well, to adjust to a departing director, 3 directors were hired/promoted. An equal amount of coordinators to managers to directors felt top heavy and micromanaged, especially in an open office.

The workplace culture was fun to be in. It felt like everyone was working hard and doing their best to resolve a new and unforseen problems while trying to make deadlines. It felt good to share in
 - more...
Pros
Fun people, positive impact, open office
Cons
High turnover, inconsistent priorities
you are expected to pressure people to donate, even after you are told no you need to ask again....and again. The floor staff are constantly pulling you aside for "coaching" at times making unreasonable demands, "when donors get aggressive/upset just get those asks in there". Bonuses are promised and never received. I witnessed supervisors and coaches flirting, gossiping and slacking off during shifts. Favoritism is often shown to fundraisers that are most disobedient. I was personally aware of fundraisers going on break, getting impaired and coming back to work but the big concern is eating at your desk! Finally, during my time there the schedules were structured in such a way that you had to work weekends in order to work full time.
Pros
you get a pay cheque
Cons
Total Gong show