Fundraising Direct Employee Reviews

Awesome Team and Rewarding Work
Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 February 2019
Overall I genuinely like FD. The team is really nice and friendly. The charities they work with are pretty great. They’re really flexible with scheduling, if you need to you can easily move shifts.

The job is definitely not for everyone. It can be really tough and tiring if you’re talking to a lot angry supporters.
Pros
Flex schedules, conviennent location, opportunity to advance
Cons
Difficult campaigns and difficult supporters
Fun, Easy to Learn
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 February 2019
Fun and simple job, easy to learn and grow within the team.
Hours are kind of rough, especially being forced a minimum. No cell phone rule and no entertainment to keep you busy during dead calls was a bit dull but liveable
Great Company BUT...
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 January 2019
Everyone is friendly. The job is hard since you need to reach/hit the campaign targets. Unfortunately, I did not pass the probation because I was not able to reach their target even though I come to work on time or before the time and aside from that I am being switched to different campaigns which requires big adjustment. They should be considerate enough to know that not at all times the supporters/donors will give.

Campaign Managers sometimes act unprofessionally and are always focus on numbers not knowing that their fundraisers are already demotivated even though they are trying their best to get pledges.

People come and go so you will find new faces. If you want money for a short time then apply but if you want job security then it's a thumbs down.

Overall, it's a great company. There are no perfect companies. You may try and experience it for yourself.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Cons
Target is hard/impossible to reach
Very Bad
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2018
The worst company I have ever been. The job is humanitarian or charity campaign however they don't treat employees good as they treat them as numbers. They have bad facilities
Pros
Cons
All except location
Don’t work here
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 November 2018
They require you to work a minimum of 20 hours a week if you are part time and are not understanding at all about needing to work less sometimes because of school.

You are required to log out of the system for bathroom breaks because they do not pay you for those. If you take even a minute or two more on your 15 min break, they don’t pay you for that either. You are constantly told to check your pays because they dock so much off of them.

You get yelled at constantly by donors because the agency calls them up to 10-15 times a week, and when a donor says no or gets annoyed, you are still expected to “get those asks in there.”

The only upside about working there is that people are really nice and friendly. Other than that, don’t work there. Seriously.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Everything else
Great Job for Students
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 September 2018
I worked as a fundraiser while I was in school, and found FD to be a good fit as a student. There are a lot of great people working there, you get to call for good causes, and the culture is pretty fun. I really liked knowing that the work I was doing was making a difference in the world. Sometimes you will talk to supporters who are hard on you, and it can be hard to ask for money, but the good days make up for the bad. Scheduling is pretty good for students.
Pros
Contribute to Good Causes, Good Schedule, Fun Experience
Cons
Tough Calls
Good Causes, Flexible Hours, Great People
Floor Hand (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 September 2018
I've been working here for over a year and have really enjoyed my time with FD. Obviously, at the end of the day, it is a job, and any job is going to be difficult, but the negative aspects of being a fundraiser, in my opinion, are outweighed by the positives.

Right off the bat, the most appealing part of the job is the fact that you do get to work for many Canadian charities that have a direct impact on people's lives. It may be hard to see at first but through briefings with the clients and the different campaign feedback we'd receive, we can see that our work on the phones has a real effect on the many great causes. For example, I've been a part of several emergency campaigns a year for the Canadian red Cross and we routinely raise tens of thousands of dollars that go directly to the impacted families.

Other than that the work environment is very comfortable. The people are very friendly and nice; and the management, while still being management ultimately, seems to be trying their hardest to have the fundraiser's best interests in mind when making decisions.

There are definitely places that FD needs to improve on, for example resources are often limited for things like headsets and chairs. And if I had to say one thing about the culture, there is a tendency to let people get away with things more than they probably should. However, since I've been here I've definitely noticed a significant improvement on this front. And for sure the hardest thing about working here, at least for me, was the hour spread. The shifts are within a 1-9 PM time frame, and while there
  more... is plenty of leeway for when you work, the core schedule can be difficult to manage if you have other stuff going on.

I guess I'm rambling at this point, but I wanted to let people know that if you can find your groove here and are willing to take feedback and improve, this job is extremely rewarding, and at least from my perspective it has made a profound change on my life. I get to sleep well at night knowing that I'm not just flipping burgers or selling clothes, but actively helping people less fortunate than I am and keeping my bills paid in the process.
Pros
Flexible hours (you get to choose your schedule), You feel like you're making a difference, friendly people and comfortable work environment
Cons
tricky hours, low resources at times, periods of high stress when understaffed
Awful Work Environment and Nepotism
Professional Fundraiser/call-centre agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 July 2018
Most of the company stuff (chairs, headsets, etc.) are falling apart. The office is grey and uninviting.

My biggest problem is with management. They have clear "favourite" employees who will never get in trouble for breaking the rules, meanwhile the person right next to you might get fired for something you've seen someone else do a million times.

They promote based on who they like better, not who is best qualified for the job.

The CEO of the company will even avoid taking the elevator with call centre agents if he can. He is very self-important and I find this behaviour disgusting.

This is the most awful place I have ever worked and I sincerely hope that anyone who reads this turns around and runs away--unless you're really strapped for cash.
alright
CSR / Fundraising Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 January 2018
management is a mess, snakes in the grass

some men in the office can harass and be intrusive, but if you find nice people (which is most of the office), go in and do your work and mind your business its not a bad place. the work is simple and fun from time to time, but can be draining.

you dont get paid for bathroom breaks and they will cheat you on your pay, so pay close attention and write down your own hours.
Pros
fun environment, nice people, work can be rewarding
Cons
long hours, non paid breaks, management
Official response from Fundraising Direct
14 May 2018

Thank you very much for the feedback. We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience.

We take harassment very seriously. Please reach out to a member of management team and we would be happy to address this.

Fun times spent scrambling through repetition
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2017
I was fired from the company after having been there a little over a year. In retrospect it wasn't a role I excelled at but I really enjoyed the energy and people I worked with until I mentally checked out after about 8 months.

A typical workday is spent in excel and e-mail with some powerpoint. The emphasis on client servicing means that there is a strict deliverables schedule which has you generating the same documents daily, weekly, monthly with only minor updates.

All your time will be spent on billable hours to ensure that these documents are free of formatting and programming errors before having them processed. Errors are rampant on both company and client produced databases and you will have to resolve corrupted numbers, formula errors, columns that auto apply specific formatting etc.

Excel templates do exist but are frequently manipulated to accommodate new metrics and data quirks that can't be resolved company/client side.

The management structure was peculiar; the business is growing while suffering from high turnover. At the time of my dismissal I had the most seniority of the 4 account coordinators as 1 had been promoted and 3-4 had either quit or been let go. As well, to adjust to a departing director, 3 directors were hired/promoted. An equal amount of coordinators to managers to directors felt top heavy and micromanaged, especially in an open office.

The workplace culture was fun to be in. It felt like everyone was working hard and doing their best to resolve a new and unforseen problems while trying to make deadlines. It felt good to share in
  more... the struggle of clients changing priorities, impossibly tedious databases.

It frequently meant being asked to deliver above capacity and to "just get it done" which eventually took its toll on me. My quality fell and I became despondent. The departing director went to great effort to support me as best she could and facilitated conversation between my manager and I.

The hardest part of the job was trying to stay motivated and positive about my role and tasks. The amount of sheer repetition wouldn't have been so tiresome had there been an effort to develop tools that worked. By the time the director left my manager had assumed a director role and we'd have weekly meetings where we'd dissect my performance issues. I would also have to write daily check-ins about all my tasks which I think went mostly unread. Up to the moment I was fired it may have been 2-3 months since we had spoken. By that time I knew it wasn't going anywhere, I had completely stopped caring by February or March and I'm sure it had a negative impact on the team.

I appreciate the way they handled my dismissal and for keeping me on so long, I would have probably fired me sooner.
Pros
Fun people, positive impact, open office
Cons
High turnover, inconsistent priorities
Pressure coming from all directions
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 May 2017
you are expected to pressure people to donate, even after you are told no you need to ask again....and again. The floor staff are constantly pulling you aside for "coaching" at times making unreasonable demands, "when donors get aggressive/upset just get those asks in there". Bonuses are promised and never received. I witnessed supervisors and coaches flirting, gossiping and slacking off during shifts. Favoritism is often shown to fundraisers that are most disobedient. I was personally aware of fundraisers going on break, getting impaired and coming back to work but the big concern is eating at your desk! Finally, during my time there the schedules were structured in such a way that you had to work weekends in order to work full time.
Pros
you get a pay cheque
Cons
Total Gong show
Flexible and relaxed environment with room for advancement
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 April 2017
This is a really flexible job that can suit almost anyone's needs. Whether you need a part time gig to help you get through school or a full time job with the hopes of moving up the ranks, you can basically create your own goals. My favorite part of this job is that no one is breathing down your neck, everyone gets the same training, coaching, and supervision. And it's a really well-oiled machine compared to most jobs.

If you take your training seriously and commit to making good calls, show up to all your shifts and take on extra hours when you can, you'll be really appreciated!

The hardest part is being put on difficult campaigns but if you see it as a challenge it helps the shift go faster.
Pros
Make your own schedule, relaxed work environment
Cons
Difficult campaigns
Great company! Nice people!
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2017
I have worked for this company for a year now and love the managers. They are the nicest I have ever worked for and always really helpful and funny.

The job is pretty easy and the hours are super flexible - so you can work part-time or full-time, if you're a student that is amazing!

There's a pretty cool break room and lots of activities for the fundraisers, so that's nice.

Hardest part of the job might be the repetition but you get put on different campaigns a lot which breaks up your time.
Nice place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 March 2017
My experience is overall positive. Really cool team, met some of my closest friends here. Decent incentives and flexible schedule. Super close to the metro.
Pros
Flex schedule, incentives, friendly team
Cons
Not always an easy job - angry supporters
not worth it
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
typical day at work
nothing much learned
poor management
doesnt have much life
dont like bothering old people for money
when i leave work is the best part
Don't work here
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 February 2017
The fact that this job states that it provides 21$ an hour is insanity. It only pays 12$ an hour. And you can make commission up to 17$ an hour of you meet all your targets on everything, which is very difficult. Because of the way the shifts work, and because they don't pay for coffee breaks, you can work FULL TIME M-F and only get 32 hours. You're forced to work weekends if you want 35 hours. Not only that employees are required to "check their pay checks" because the agency docks in pay so much. Not a good agency to work for.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not good to employees
Simple
Contact agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 April 2016
Simple job involving taking small surveys for the 2015 Canadian federal elections and filling the proper forms.

It is a very repetitive job, but not too stressful.
Official response from Fundraising Direct
27 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We hope you enjoyed your time at FD.

Fundraising Agency
Account Co-ordinator (Fundraising) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 December 2015
•Managed fundraising campaigns for UNICEF Canada, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Canadian Cancer Society, Princess Margaret Foundation and the Liberal Party of Canada.
•Managed data on a daily basis and drafted reports on campaign performance
•Conducted post-campaign analysis and provided recommendations to clients
•Client relationship management
•Script writing, editing and proofreading campaign material
Environnement de travail agréable
Collectrice de fonds (Former Employee) –  Montréal30 April 2015
Travailler dans cette entreprise m'a aidé à améliorer mon service à la clientèle.