Fundraising Direct Employee Reviews

Fun times spent scrambling through repetition
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2017
I was fired from the company after having been there a little over a year. In retrospect it wasn't a role I excelled at but I really enjoyed the energy and people I worked with until I mentally checked out after about 8 months.

A typical workday is spent in excel and e-mail with some powerpoint. The emphasis on client servicing means that there is a strict deliverables schedule which has you generating the same documents daily, weekly, monthly with only minor updates.

All your time will be spent on billable hours to ensure that these documents are free of formatting and programming errors before having them processed. Errors are rampant on both company and client produced databases and you will have to resolve corrupted numbers, formula errors, columns that auto apply specific formatting etc.

Excel templates do exist but are frequently manipulated to accommodate new metrics and data quirks that can't be resolved company/client side.

The management structure was peculiar; the business is growing while suffering from high turnover. At the time of my dismissal I had the most seniority of the 4 account coordinators as 1 had been promoted and 3-4 had either quit or been let go. As well, to adjust to a departing director, 3 directors were hired/promoted. An equal amount of coordinators to managers to directors felt top heavy and micromanaged, especially in an open office.

The workplace culture was fun to be in. It felt like everyone was working hard and doing their best to resolve a new and unforseen problems while trying to make deadlines. It felt good to share in
  more... the struggle of clients changing priorities, impossibly tedious databases.

It frequently meant being asked to deliver above capacity and to "just get it done" which eventually took its toll on me. My quality fell and I became despondent. The departing director went to great effort to support me as best she could and facilitated conversation between my manager and I.

The hardest part of the job was trying to stay motivated and positive about my role and tasks. The amount of sheer repetition wouldn't have been so tiresome had there been an effort to develop tools that worked. By the time the director left my manager had assumed a director role and we'd have weekly meetings where we'd dissect my performance issues. I would also have to write daily check-ins about all my tasks which I think went mostly unread. Up to the moment I was fired it may have been 2-3 months since we had spoken. By that time I knew it wasn't going anywhere, I had completely stopped caring by February or March and I'm sure it had a negative impact on the team.

I appreciate the way they handled my dismissal and for keeping me on so long, I would have probably fired me sooner.
Pros
Fun people, positive impact, open office
Cons
High turnover, inconsistent priorities
Pressure coming from all directions
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 May 2017
you are expected to pressure people to donate, even after you are told no you need to ask again....and again. The floor staff are constantly pulling you aside for "coaching" at times making unreasonable demands, "when donors get aggressive/upset just get those asks in there". Bonuses are promised and never received. I witnessed supervisors and coaches flirting, gossiping and slacking off during shifts. Favoritism is often shown to fundraisers that are most disobedient. I was personally aware of fundraisers going on break, getting impaired and coming back to work but the big concern is eating at your desk! Finally, during my time there the schedules were structured in such a way that you had to work weekends in order to work full time.
Pros
you get a pay cheque
Cons
Total Gong show
Flexible and relaxed environment with room for advancement
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 April 2017
This is a really flexible job that can suit almost anyone's needs. Whether you need a part time gig to help you get through school or a full time job with the hopes of moving up the ranks, you can basically create your own goals. My favorite part of this job is that no one is breathing down your neck, everyone gets the same training, coaching, and supervision. And it's a really well-oiled machine compared to most jobs.

If you take your training seriously and commit to making good calls, show up to all your shifts and take on extra hours when you can, you'll be really appreciated!

The hardest part is being put on difficult campaigns but if you see it as a challenge it helps the shift go faster.
Pros
Make your own schedule, relaxed work environment
Cons
Difficult campaigns
Great company! Nice people!
Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 April 2017
I have worked for this company for a year now and love the managers. They are the nicest I have ever worked for and always really helpful and funny.

The job is pretty easy and the hours are super flexible - so you can work part-time or full-time, if you're a student that is amazing!

There's a pretty cool break room and lots of activities for the fundraisers, so that's nice.

Hardest part of the job might be the repetition but you get put on different campaigns a lot which breaks up your time.
Nice place to work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 March 2017
My experience is overall positive. Really cool team, met some of my closest friends here. Decent incentives and flexible schedule. Super close to the metro.
Pros
Flex schedule, incentives, friendly team
Cons
Not always an easy job - angry supporters
not worth it
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 March 2017
typical day at work
nothing much learned
poor management
doesnt have much life
dont like bothering old people for money
when i leave work is the best part
Don't work here
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 February 2017
The fact that this job states that it provides 21$ an hour is insanity. It only pays 12$ an hour. And you can make commission up to 17$ an hour of you meet all your targets on everything, which is very difficult. Because of the way the shifts work, and because they don't pay for coffee breaks, you can work FULL TIME M-F and only get 32 hours. You're forced to work weekends if you want 35 hours. Not only that employees are required to "check their pay checks" because the agency docks in pay so much. Not a good agency to work for.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not good to employees
Simple
Contact agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 April 2016
Simple job involving taking small surveys for the 2015 Canadian federal elections and filling the proper forms.

It is a very repetitive job, but not too stressful.
Official response from Fundraising Direct
27 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback! We hope you enjoyed your time at FD.

Fundraising Agency
Account Co-ordinator (Fundraising) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 December 2015
•Managed fundraising campaigns for UNICEF Canada, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Canadian Cancer Society, Princess Margaret Foundation and the Liberal Party of Canada.
•Managed data on a daily basis and drafted reports on campaign performance
•Conducted post-campaign analysis and provided recommendations to clients
•Client relationship management
•Script writing, editing and proofreading campaign material
Environnement de travail agréable
Collectrice de fonds (Former Employee) –  Montréal30 April 2015
Travailler dans cette entreprise m'a aidé à améliorer mon service à la clientèle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fundraising Direct. Our community is ready to answer.

Fundraising Direct Reviews by Location