FunctionAbility Rehabilitation Services

FunctionAbility Rehabilitation Services Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
Community-based work that is dynamic, flexible and demands a high level of organization, planning and self-discipline. FunctionAbility is successful at offering the tools and resources which enable clinicians to collaborate effectively, share resources and feel supported. These factors also enable clinicians to provide consistent and high quality services. Equal emphasis is placed on caring for employees (promoting work-life balance and self-care) as well as on providing high end, consistent, reliable and client-centred care for persons throughout all stages of recovery. From an SLP perspective, the SLP Director has been successful over the past 8+ years at teaching, guiding, providing encouragement, advocating for and offering constructive feedback to clinicians. Other members of the FunctionAbility administrative and leadership team are also consistently responsive, approachable, patient and helpful at guiding clinicians through navigating many aspects of the Motor Vehicle Insurance industry.
FunctionAbility is the best company to work for in the industry. They offer a skilled team of professionals, support available when needed, amazing resources, a family-like atmosphere, opportunities for growth and advancement, and you can be as busy as you want and control your own schedule.
Pros
Well organized, stable, skilled team of professionals, competitive wages
I have been working at FunctionAbility for over 10 years. I have never worked anywhere that is so supportive and sees you as a person and not just an employee. I feel confident that the office staff, supervisors, and my colleagues are my safety net and have my back. There is constant sharing of ideas and resources to keep my treatment functional and evidence based. My fellow SLPs inspire me constantly. FunctionAbility is a fantastic place to work!
The FA culture is that of a wide-reaching supportive family! Despite clinicians working independently in the community, there is consistently a sense of having your team members behind you and on your side, ready to help when needed. The team is filled with bright, talented, and highly experienced professionals who strive to build each other up and bring out the best in everyone. The autonomy and respect you are entrusted with makes you feel confident and reassured in your work.
Growing, fast-paced environment. Always lots to learn and do. The whole team is incredibly supportive from therapists to office staff. Open to new ideas and new ways of working. Truly keeps the client at the centre of the business.
Great company to work for that always looks to improve client and employee experience. Everyone believes in what they are doing and feel supported no matter what role you are in.
The culture at FunctionAbility is unparalleled! Supportive and caring leadership, enrichment opportunities, and collaboration are just some of the highlights of working for FA!
Since I have started with the organization, I have loved the balance of having autonomy to get through my work as well as the ability to access support whenever needed. The company really does feel like a family, in which if someone can help - they will. They hire bright people that they can trust and then let them flourish with resources, open communication and continually adapting to needs and requests from staff. In addition, the company not only recognizes strengths in its people, it finds ways to leverage them. This is extremely positive for engagement and development. What I respect the most is the focus on quality, this has been evident to me from day one. The importance of ensuring best in class care has generated the respect and reputation the company deserves.
Pros
Flexibility, communication, innovation, collaboration
I worked with a different company prior to joining the function ability family and the difference in company culture, clinical expertise and management is night and day! Function ability is run by two incredible, welcoming, supportive people and backed by the same in their management. I’m so glad I made the switch and will never look back!
Pros
Education, company culture, work life balance, flexibility.
Cons
Steep learning curve if you’ve never worked in the field.
As a new staff member to FunctionAbility I have been very impressed with all levels of the organization. Administrative support is exceptional and helps to make my work flow much more efficient and seamless. Management and supervisory staff are passionate about what they do and this positively influences the culture of the company. Lots of great support for new staff from all levels of the organization. It's a passionate and fun group of individuals who love what they do and who strive to make a difference in the lives of their clients each and every day. Most importantly, the company keeps striving for ways to always improve with client and staff interests close at heart.
I love working at FunctionAbility. There is a strong culture of support and striving for excellence. I feel proud to be part of this group that highly values education and best practices and is even accredited. I love the education days they run, and all the resources offered. The industry and processes are challenging and there is a huge diversity in client presentations - this can be overwhelming at first but is an amazing learning opportunity and there is tons of support from management and from colleagues. Everyone helps each other out. There is even funding to go out once per month with your colleagues. There is lots of flexibility in terms of scheduling and caseload, but you also have to be responsible for managing your time and keeping things balanced for yourself. This is also a learning curve, but well worth it! And the yoga retreat in June was the best!! I wouldn't work for any other company in this industry - FunctionAbility stands out above and beyond the rest.
Pros
support, education, tons of opportunity for learning and growth, connections with colleagues
FunctionAbility is a highly respected organization providing health care services to adults and children. Recognized as a leader in the industry, the clinical team is second to none. The value of each therapist is recognized and acknowledged by the leadership team and opportunities for growth are encouraged and supported. Work life balance is highly valued. Therapists are encouraged to continue with ongoing learning opportunities through both internal and external educational programs. Therapists work in a collaboration with strong administrative support.
Pros
- autonomy, growth, respected, collaborative, industry leader
Cons
-community based, so must be able to work independently
I have been working with FunctionAbility for many years and have found my home as a therapist. The most enjoyable part of the job is the long term holistic OT role with my clients. It is meaningful clinical contact with clients in their natural environment (community) that goes above and beyond home safety to address occupational performance goals. I like working with a practice that sets a high standard, shares best practices, and encourages me to be the best I can be. I am seeing a variety of clients from TBI, orthopedics, to mental health populations. I am also inspired by a supportive team of colleagues who are knowledgeable and leaders in the field. I feel safe and protected working with this team of therapists, and my skills have developed every year. The hardest part of the job is a steep learning curve in the first year. A typical day is either on the road seeing clients in their homes, or working from home (or the Ottawa clinic) writing reports. Hospital visits for discharging clients are also monthly activities. The management team is very in tune and accessible, they are therapists just like us, they have our back and want us to succeed.
Pros
Education days, flexibility of schedule, strong clinical team and resources, social atmosphere.
Cons
This job involves report writing, focused advocacy in a medical legal world, and very strong time management.
Joining FunctionAbility is the best decision I ever made, career-wise. I left the hospital setting due to crazy commute times and being tired of all the politics. FunctionAbility has provided a place for me to hone my skills as an OT, as well as take on other roles to grow professionally and personally. The flexibility of community work allows for greater work-life balance for my young family, and the work is always rewarding, though it can be challenging clinically! As an OT, I love being able to work with clients from the earliest point of their injuries, at their lowest points, and then see them improve over months and years to achieve their functional goals within their new residual abilities. The family-like culture of support is like no other, and nowhere else have I ever worked where management truly cares about us as individuals, while also seeking out constructive feedback to make FA even better. The clinicians in all disciplines (OT, case management, SLP, SW, OTA/PTA/RA) are among the most brilliant I have met, and are all about team work. I'm proud to be a part of team FA!
Pros
Flexible hours, competitive salary, rewarding work, lots of shared clinical resources and education opportunities, social perks
Cons
Must be strong in documentation skills, must be able to have excellent time management and self-discipline because if you don't work, you don't get paid!
I've been with FunctionAbility for over 5 years, and really respect and admire the owners and directors. My work as an occupational therapist is clinically challenging and diverse, which I love. Working mostly from my home office has given me the freedom to volunteer a bit and flex my hours around being a busy parent. My supervisor is supportive and I feel like I'm always learning. I work hard and I write a lot of reports, which for me isn't a bad thing (people actually value my opinion!). There's a big learning curve with the insurance/legal sector, but this got easier over time. There's some challenges with billable hours, but with experience and increased skills, I now earn well above what I ever would in the public sector.
Pros
Flexible hours, challenging work, supportive supervisors and culture
Cons
Easy to work too much (have to be disciplined with yourself)
Very collaborative environment. Innovative ideas shared between all team members. Opportunities for networking and building a wide variety of clinical skills. Opportunities for advancement and leadership. MVA system is very process-heavy - learning the processes and the clinical reasoning behind how to navigate the processes is one of the hardest parts of the job.
Pros
Supportive, collaborative, innovative environment!
Cons
It's a journey learning to balance work and personal life. Setting boundaries is key.
I've worked with FunctionAbility for the past year and I have to say it is a very supportive organization. The workplace culture is great- the management has a really positive energy. There is a team-oriented mentality- even with clinicians working in the community and lots of resources provided. The job requires quite a bit of organization and time management but I like that I have the flexibility to arrange my scheudale in a way that works for me. I appreciated that I was given time to orient myself to the job and then build my caseload at a pace I was comfortable with. I really like working with my clients- there is a lot a variety- never a boring workday!
Pros
Clinic workspace, team-building activities, education days
I love working in the fast-paced, highly supported environment at FunctionAbility!

The company provides lots of opportunities for learning and growth, encouraging clinicians to better themselves and the practice through every experience. The work is intellectually challenging and every day is different from the next! I also enjoy the flexibility of hours and ability to self-manage my schedule.
Pros
Flexibility of hours