Frontier College Employee Reviews

awesome
Writer/Director (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 April 2019
The best employer to work with. i had to take sick leave and eventually leave the job but they were very considerate and understanding through my sickness.
Very good place to grow
Volunteer Organizational Team Member & Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2019
This institution has helped me grow as an educator and the team is very organized. The workplace culture is relaxed and very accepting. Moreover, the job is flexible.
Great!
LG camp counsellor, Data Intern (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 February 2019
Frontier College provides a very essential service to the communities where there are chapters located. I felt like I was contributing to the success of programs. A rewarding place to work.
Productive, welcoming learning environment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 November 2018
Volunteer tutor children who need extra help in English/reading and writing. I learned how to be patient and how to teach in different ways based off of students needs.
Inclusive, well managed, easy going place to work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Fort Severn, ON19 September 2018
Frontier College is a wonderful organization to work for because they are inclusive, easy going and do their best to make sure you succeed with them. They provided excellent guidance on how to be a camp counsellor and was able to continue that support while we were in the far north. They didn't hold our hands though which I really enjoyed because it forced us to improve our management skills and figure out how to work as a team on our own just like you would have to do in the real world.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no overtime
Fun place to work at
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC16 September 2018
I enjoyed my time while volunteering with the kids. I loved reading books and playing different games with the kids.
I used to volunteer twice a week. We needed as volunteers to come up with new ideas and innovative ways to read for the kids.
Positive Environment
Education Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 May 2018
I am a volunteer at Frontier College where helps me to see the beauty of differences between people. I learned that every child has a unique potential for learning with a unique personality which should be considered by parents and teachers earlier.
good place
Volunteer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 April 2018
decent place. i was volunteer for my school practicum i had a good time everyone was helpful and friendly to my learning. lots of poor schools in frontier though makes it rough
Conducive teaching environment
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 March 2018
I assisted middle school children with their academic work and also helped them practice further by assigning them worksheets to complete and encouraging them to read. There were also fun after school activities to encourage them to approach schoolwork in a more lively and fun manner.
The job was fun all around.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Trout Lake, AB18 August 2017
I had to work with a lot of kids and the learning activities I helped manage. The kids gave a positive energy everyday. Seeing them wanting to learn while playing was something everyone wanted.
Pros
Teaching skills improved
Cons
The camp was only for a month.
You do this job because you love it
LG Aboriginal Summer Reading Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Mattagami, ON15 August 2017
The job I had as a camp counsellor is the kind of job you do if you love teaching, kids, and learning about different cultures. The camp only runs for 7 weeks with one week of training before. You live in the community that you're running the camp in and you don't get paid for all the extra time you put into prep for camp activities.
Great organization for graduates
Junior Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
I enjoy my time at FC. Great working environment and the staff are like family. Very sweet and make me want to come to work everyday. The salary isn't very competitive, but the work environment makes up greatly for the lack of compensation.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Only seeminly hires on contract with no benifits
Best Place to Work!
Internship (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 March 2017
I recommend all people to volunteer or apply for jobs with Frontier College.
They are Canada's original non-profit literacy organization.
Essential for participant and workers
Literacy Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Fort Severn, ON2 March 2017
- working with children was a joy
- teamwork was essential in building a camp
- it mixed culture with literacy
- working with new people
Pros
salary
Cons
stress
productive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 July 2016
I learned patience and learned to deal with people of all age group while tutoring them. Understood various mind sets of people which will prove as a benefit to my future.
Pros
Knowledgeable
Cons
Long distance to work
An eye opening expereince.
Volunteer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
Frontier College provides generous amounts of support in regards to after school homework programs. They provided basic training for becoming a tutor before you are placed in a school setting. They are always looking for additional volunteers and welcome feedback on each individual's experience.
Fun work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB16 July 2015
Basically got to meet to a good number of people with the right level of innovation and attitude for success plus got to impact knowledge on the children
Educational and fun environment
Volunteer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, On20 December 2014
This is a great opportunity to interact with Thunder Bays youth. Teaches you how to plan educational activities and if you are going to become a teacher it is also a great learning tool. The hardest part of the job is learning how to apply what the students enjoy into to activities. Every child is different and therefore a different learning approach needs to be considered for those who are more active and outgoing.
Learning potential and wonderful coworkers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 August 2014
There are busy times in this position and slow times. At the beginning and the end of the school semester, paperwork, emails and presentations are a plenty. In the middle of the semester there is a slow point where as a student, you are able to focus on your studies. I have learned a lot of administrative tasks, I have learned the way University of Guelph runs a lot of their events and who to talk to for certain services. Co-workers are very pleasant when everyone has the same type of respect for the services Frontier College provides. When everyone respects the services, coworkers work very hard on their administrative duties (even when they are all volunteers). Management is very appreciative of all the work you do and they never forget to show you their appreciation. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning how a non profit organization works and the hardest part of the job is the long stressful hours during the busy time. When it is busy, things become very last minute and you need to be able to work in a fast paced environment. Your priority skills become well adapted in this position.
Pros
Free snacks, respectful and wonderful coworkers/management
Cons
Very busy and hectic during busy peaks
good volunteer experience
Frontier volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 September 2012
great volunteering experience working with children during after-school programs
Pros
working with children
Cons
inflexible hours