Frobisher Inn

Frobisher Inn Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
A typical day at work would be getting a list of rooms needed to be clean for arriving guests and rooms that could be checked on for continuing guests. I learned great time management skills and management was great to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, very nice and helpful.
Pros
2 free meals a day
Comp food, comp housing and nice pay are all great ideas if you can manage to keep yourself entertained while living with your co-workers, who may or may not have the same shift as you.
Pros
2 free meals, rent-free living, short commute
Cons
Sunlight
Unless you can handle living and working in an area where there is blatant racism, it's not a place to be. Not everyone in Iqaluit is racist or angry. There are good people which is far more than the angry ones.
You re always wrong they ignore your recommandation they hierd you for a position and when you re there it s sometimg different they mâle you do everything they wants for my point of view they dont say the truth it s a poor place to work very bad expérience and a very bad manager
Pros
Free meals
Cons
They treats you very poorly
Definitely Iqaluits nicest restaurant to work at. Great mamagement and coperate support. Very devoted clientelle with good pay and reasonable hours. I miss this job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
The restaraunt and bar have evolved over the course of time, through trial and error. Very high turn over rate. The Arctic. Competitive wages. Benefits.
Pros
Free staff meal
I enjoyed working at the Frobisher Inn an Iqualuit. I had never worked that far north before and there is an experience of culture shock if you are moving for the first time from the South. The management makes the move easy since the company organizes the flight schedules and arranges a place for you to live. Staff housing is what would be expected - it is what you make it. Do lots of research so you bring the right things to Iqaluit to keep you occupied. Recreational activities are very expensive and you don't want to end up losing money while up there. Get a hobby and bring the hobby supplies with you. You will have lots of downtime in the dead of winter. Your work life depends heavily on the quality of your home life. Mental health and safety are very important. I am still in touch with a lot of the people I met up there. Everyone that goes up usually has the spirit of adventure in them. As a result you end up meeting some very interesting and unexpected people. You will make lots of friends if you are easy-going, outgoing, and non judgmental. The hotel can be a very fun and interesting place to work with a potential for a lot of great work experience and advancements if you have the right attitude. Iqaluit is what you make it - this is a hard city that is not going to make life easy for you if you are unprepared to deal with the challenges. Not a job for the faint at heart.
Pros
supplied housing, free meals from five star kitchen, great way to experience the north
Cons
isolation, potential for depression due to long winters, expensive city
all in all i loved working there.pretty good group to work,opportunity for adv
Pros
free lunches, great pay
Cons
hrs unpredictable at times, had no benefits
Unstable... Not friendly

Management cannot create an stable work environment

over charge customers and unable to create a friendly

work environment
Pros
nothing
Cons
no access to managment
The Frobisher Inn Hotel is well known in having good quality facilities. Their Hospitality rating went up and i believe i was part of it. The salary and benefits were good but the place was too depressing for me. Because of the extreme cold, i wasn't able to use my time effectively that though i was able to volunteer at the Soup Kitchen, helped in the Relay For Life, Nunavut committee in some way, and was able to finish the "Help Line Training," i should have been more productive if Nunavut has a better weather. There's also something about the shifting of schedule that made me sad.
Good position, Management is hard to get a hold of. Pay cheques come late 9 times out of 10.
I worked at the "Frob" for 20 years. It was a fun place to work.
The pros - good pay, free staff housing, free trips out for vacations and at the end of the contract.

The cons - shared staff housing.
Pros
example: free housing, meals, trips south.
Cons
worked under pressure at times.