Friday Harbour Resort

Friday Harbour Resort Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
I don't suggest applying if you are from the city. Current staff not very welcoming to new faces. Not helpful and criticize easily when you ask for assistance or a question. I was not employed long, but it was the staff that made my overall decision easy.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Staff.
I loved working here at “THE NEST” the staff was great and everyone was really friendly! All the members are awesome and everywhere else I visited while working that staff was again super nice!
Pros
Friendly environment
This company does not care about their associates at all. Managers get bonuses, managers are never accounted for. Managers can be late or come in whenever they want, while the associates run the place. They don't pay attention or care about what's going on. You will get thrown under the bus. Make sure if you get a job here to cover yourself. It's very toxic. The executive staff are rarely on site. The place when starting, felt like it could have potential, but the none experienced manager staff have run it into the ground. I feel sorry for the lies they tell the people that live there. Be warned, it's not all that it's hyped up to be.
The Beach Club was a great experience. The staff and members were polite and the overall mood was relaxed and respectful. No one was mistreated and we worked as a team.
I enjoyed a one year contract covering a mat leave working with a state of the art environment in a resort services environment. Migrated data from Maestro & Silverware to LS Retail/Dynamics NAV 2017 supporting several businesses within the resort.
This happened last summer:
After a successful interview process, and receiving a job offer that I happily accepted as the recreation and leisure attendant position looked great and was something relevant that I took in college.

After being hired as a full time employee, I received all the info via email about the big orientation/training that takes place for all new employees, I was told there’s slight changes to my employment or agreement and that I was now only seasonal and not a full time employee like I was originally hired for.

I couldn’t just take on the seasonal position as I needed job security. I can’t invest full time work for a few months to be laid off in the fall or winter and be left jobless.

I’m extremely disappointed that I wasted so much time and believed I may of had a full time job and a long term career in something I just studied in college for two years. Definitely felt like a shot to the gut.
Pros
Overall sounds like an awesome job
Cons
Lack of job security and unorganized hiring
Stay away I put almost three years into this place worked my but off sick and in the end was promised sooo much resources to actually to our job to the level we were asked only to have every things not happen .
In the end after keeping thousands in house I was constructively dismissal had to leave in order to keep my house and family fed

promised
Pros
Cons
Toxic as a place could get
The winters are brutally slow and the summers are pretty busy. Depending what department you're in, management can be unhelpful. However, I found that the Experience Team has good management and they created a fun and inviting work environment.
As for the job itself, the majority of homeowners and guests that come in treat staff terribly. The staff are getting blamed for the delays in construction and the insane policies that the resort has put into place. I would say its not worth the stress to apply here.
Expected to be responsible for thousands of dollars of machinery/landscaping while working early and long hours for not much more than minimum wage, also no room for job advancement
Most unfriendly place to work in my whole working career. Upper management won't even say hello or nod their heads. Extremely unorganized, unbalanced and unrealistic resort. Lots of promises made at the interview but nothing came of it.
It is unfortunate because I really think the place could be great if some of the management and employees took the time to work.
I worked in property maintenance at FH and at first, I was promised the world but instead I was sold a bill of goods. Working at Friday Harbour (after many years of previously working in the property maintenance industry) has been the absolute worst experience of my entire career. The upper management is so incompetent, so unqualified, that I’m surprised that the resort still employs people. The CEO who should be leading is never there. I was constantly overwhelmed and bombarded with complaints from homeowners that were never addressed by upper management and fell on deaf ears. Finally I had to leave for my sanity and my physical well being. Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.
I am a current employee and have had such a wonderful experience here at Friday Harbour. We have challenges like any organization but we adapt every day as a startup. Starting anything is difficult, but its amazing to see the progression every day and so incredible be a part of an exciting new resort.

The best thing I can say about Friday Harbour is the people. The people here at FH are second to none. I have met life long friends and mentors here that will remain for the rest of my life.

Bet you can't play golf at your current job for $10!
Pros
Amazing People, Great Perks Like Golf, Beautiful Scenery
Cons
Still lots of construction, slow in the offseason
The staff regularly made for a stressful environment, not an understanding workplace, horrible boss who belittled the entire staff, all-in-all it was a learning experience to never stay somewhere you are unhappy..
The people who work there are ok but the management is no good. She loves to tell you what she knows and what she wants you to do even if it is not right or even safe and when someone higher up notices what is going on she will blame you for doing it. People who work there should make sure they write everything down so they can go back and have proof. You are not going to do just the job you are hired for you will be driving people around, opening doors for people, washing car's, and whatever else they decide to tell you to do.
They actually have people in a role they call LEAD witch is actually what normal people would call supervisor that are still in school and know a lot but it is all book knowledge NO actual life knowledge they know nothing about what is to de done and what is important and not important.

This place is a JOKE!
Cons
Too many to list
What a awesome place to work. The staff are really friendly, good rate of pay and lots of perks like benefits. I have worked for many companies large and small but Friday harbour is one of the top ones out there.
Pros
Working on a 600 acre property on lake Simcoe
Cons
The winter
I'm not bashing this company in any way. Just want to inform male applications that they require clean shaven only. If you plan on keeping your facial hair. Don't waste your time or theirs
This is a horrible working environment. The CFO has a horrible attitude and she treats people terribly by looking down on them. She is totally clueless and lacks people skills and leadership skills. The rest of the leadership team is pretty much the same - no leadership. They love to waste your time by having multiple useless daily meetings. No work life balance and you'll get calls constantly. This is definitely not a place you would want to work.
I only worked here for a few months when it just opened. It was exciting watching it grow and be built during that time. I was pretty fortunate to have a wonderful team and a wonderful manager who went above and beyond to recognize accomplishments and to hear our suggestions about improving any processes. The pay was pretty decent in comparison to other nearby resorts.
Pros
Beautiful view and scenery
Cons
At the time - nowhere for staff to purchase meals/drinks
The management here is going to take this place down. She is a huge micro manager. She will tell you she has all the qualifications and that may be true but she has never been a guard EVER. This means she has no idea what we have to go through to get the job done. She loves hiring people right out of college because we will listen to her and not put up a fuss.
Find another place to work. The money is ok but the hours suck the management sucks the people suck.

One day the upper management will wonder why she is going through so many people and question her about this but until they do this is not the place to work.
Pros
Cons
Far to many to list
Management sucks, very toxic work environment. No one works together, everyone just tries to screw each other over to make themselves look good. Very shady place to work, they’re getting away with a lot that they shouldn’t be
Pros
Beautiful place physically
Cons
Bad work environment and atmosphere