Friday Harbour Resort

Insights into Friday Harbour Resort

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great staff, terrible pay

Coworkers were great, really made the workplace better. They are helpful and work as a team. Some front of house staff is really rude and have an "everyone for themselves" mentality, though. Hardly any training and the restaurant has no theme. Standards are all over the place from casual to fine dining, making service inconsistent and confusing for guests. Managers are constantly stressed when the executives are around and sometimes will take it out on employees. Kitchen and housekeeping understaffed from spring, still understaffed in the fall.If asked to help another department, don't. You will not be paid properly. If you work as a server or bartender, keep close track of hours, tips and gratuities. Pay was constantly wrong, missing hours, stat/holiday pay and tips were wrong multiple times. Most staff complained about issues with pay checks or tips. Management blamed it on lack of staff in finance.

Pros

coworkers, nice location

Cons

never paid properly

Employee turnover rate indicates real issues

I was fortunate enough to work with some excellent people. For the most part they have all sought alternate employment. This high and continuous organization wide turnover rate is an indicator of underlying problems in the organization.As the strong team members and managers leave it is becoming increasingly clear that there are employee retention issues. Additionally, it is becoming clear that FH cannot attract new high calibre team members and especially managers to replace those leaving.

Pros

Beautiful grounds, some outstanding people to work with

Cons

Management doesn't promote enterprise wide team work.

Growing pains but getting there!

I worked in the landscaping department for the summer. The managers in this department are good people and try to help in any way they can. An issue with this department is the turn over as majority of workers don’t get compensated enough to treat this as a career and with this causes people to leave. This then impacts morale and the level of landscape care that is expected by home owners as the team is sparse and ever changing. A positive is that the CEO seems to care about changing the current state but this will take time. I would recommend for a person looking for seasonal work. Another pro is large potential for internal growth.

Pros

Easy work, nice enviroment

Cons

Wage

Avoid at all cost

The worst management of any place I have ever worked. Grown adults treated like children. Toxic work environment. I was a shuttle driver and listened all day to employees complaining about management and even worse the non stop complaints from unhappy homeowners. Forced to work 10 days in a row. Night shift till midnight then day shift starting at 6 am without a day off. Unbelievable amount of staff turnover. you work Christmas and new years eve with no management to be seen. The stunning thing is they had no plan on how to get gas into the vehicles so we would drive them till they were empty then park them. I had to pay to fuel the vehicle myself one time. They had the shuttle drivers managed by the house keeping department which was run by the worst manager I have ever encountered. They finally hired her an assistant to help run the transportation department but he did not have a drivers licence....im not kidding. I did like my fellow staff members and we did have some fun talking about the stunning leadership failures. May be a good first summer job for students but other than that avoid at all costs

Pros

co workers and a few laughs

Cons

I dont know where to begin

Easy going

Hard to get hours before and after june and only really have hours during weekends. Management was understanding and easy to approach. Responsive to time off requests and shift changes.

Pros

Occasional free lunch

Cons

No hours

No job security/ position constantly changing

Staff were friendly, and majority were helpful. There was a sense of original staff versus new staff that never went away. Policies are consistently changing and made it hard to keep track of and they consistently put changes into place at the busiest times in the season, just to add more confusion. You take a lot of complaints from homeowners and pestering from other departments management. I was hired full time which was changed to just seasonal, two weeks before receiving any benefits as they over estimated their staffing needs. I saw many people let go for managements mishaps or for management not giving clear direction. This place is highly unorganized and only the most patient and adaptable should apply. Do not expect any job security.

Pros

Fun events

Cons

No job security, unorganized management, constant complaints from homeowners

Great place to work!

I loved working here at “THE NEST” the staff was great and everyone was really friendly! All the members are awesome and everywhere else I visited while working that staff was again super nice!

Pros

Friendly environment

This company has not a clue what they are doing

This company does not care about their associates at all. Managers get bonuses, managers are never accounted for. Managers can be late or come in whenever they want, while the associates run the place. They don't pay attention or care about what's going on. You will get thrown under the bus. Make sure if you get a job here to cover yourself. It's very toxic. The executive staff are rarely on site. The place when starting, felt like it could have potential, but the none experienced manager staff have run it into the ground. I feel sorry for the lies they tell the people that live there. Be warned, it's not all that it's hyped up to be.

Beach Club

The Beach Club was a great experience. The staff and members were polite and the overall mood was relaxed and respectful. No one was mistreated and we worked as a team.

Progressive IT Support

I enjoyed a one year contract covering a mat leave working with a state of the art environment in a resort services environment. Migrated data from Maestro & Silverware to LS Retail/Dynamics NAV 2017 supporting several businesses within the resort.

Last minute changes when hired

This happened last summer: After a successful interview process, and receiving a job offer that I happily accepted as the recreation and leisure attendant position looked great and was something relevant that I took in college. After being hired as a full time employee, I received all the info via email about the big orientation/training that takes place for all new employees, I was told there’s slight changes to my employment or agreement and that I was now only seasonal and not a full time employee like I was originally hired for. I couldn’t just take on the seasonal position as I needed job security. I can’t invest full time work for a few months to be laid off in the fall or winter and be left jobless. I’m extremely disappointed that I wasted so much time and believed I may of had a full time job and a long term career in something I just studied in college for two years. Definitely felt like a shot to the gut.

Pros

Overall sounds like an awesome job

Cons

Lack of job security and unorganized hiring

Toxic

Stay away I put almost three years into this place worked my but off sick and in the end was promised sooo much resources to actually to our job to the level we were asked only to have every things not happen . In the end after keeping thousands in house I was constructively dismissal had to leave in order to keep my house and family fed promised

Pros

Cons

Toxic as a place could get

Would not recommend...

The winters are brutally slow and the summers are pretty busy. Depending what department you're in, management can be unhelpful. However, I found that the Experience Team has good management and they created a fun and inviting work environment. As for the job itself, the majority of homeowners and guests that come in treat staff terribly. The staff are getting blamed for the delays in construction and the insane policies that the resort has put into place. I would say its not worth the stress to apply here.

Too little pay for too much work

Expected to be responsible for thousands of dollars of machinery/landscaping while working early and long hours for not much more than minimum wage, also no room for job advancement

"They're just not ready"

Most unfriendly place to work in my whole working career. Upper management won't even say hello or nod their heads. Extremely unorganized, unbalanced and unrealistic resort. Lots of promises made at the interview but nothing came of it. It is unfortunate because I really think the place could be great if some of the management and employees took the time to work.

Think twice before applying

I worked in property maintenance at FH and at first, I was promised the world but instead I was sold a bill of goods. Working at Friday Harbour (after many years of previously working in the property maintenance industry) has been the absolute worst experience of my entire career. The upper management is so incompetent, so unqualified, that I’m surprised that the resort still employs people. The CEO who should be leading is never there. I was constantly overwhelmed and bombarded with complaints from homeowners that were never addressed by upper management and fell on deaf ears. Finally I had to leave for my sanity and my physical well being. Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere.

Great place to grow and even better people!

I am a current employee and have had such a wonderful experience here at Friday Harbour. We have challenges like any organization but we adapt every day as a startup. Starting anything is difficult, but its amazing to see the progression every day and so incredible be a part of an exciting new resort. The best thing I can say about Friday Harbour is the people. The people here at FH are second to none. I have met life long friends and mentors here that will remain for the rest of my life. Bet you can't play golf at your current job for $10!

Pros

Amazing People, Great Perks Like Golf, Beautiful Scenery

Cons

Still lots of construction, slow in the offseason

Never Again

The staff regularly made for a stressful environment, not an understanding workplace, horrible boss who belittled the entire staff, all-in-all it was a learning experience to never stay somewhere you are unhappy..

Don't

The people who work there are ok but the management is no good. She loves to tell you what she knows and what she wants you to do even if it is not right or even safe and when someone higher up notices what is going on she will blame you for doing it. People who work there should make sure they write everything down so they can go back and have proof. You are not going to do just the job you are hired for you will be driving people around, opening doors for people, washing car's, and whatever else they decide to tell you to do. They actually have people in a role they call LEAD witch is actually what normal people would call supervisor that are still in school and know a lot but it is all book knowledge NO actual life knowledge they know nothing about what is to de done and what is important and not important. This place is a JOKE!

Cons

Too many to list

New staff treated unprofessional

I don't suggest applying if you are from the city. Current staff not very welcoming to new faces. Not helpful and criticize easily when you ask for assistance or a question. I was not employed long, but it was the staff that made my overall decision easy.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Staff.

What an amazing place to work

What a awesome place to work. The staff are really friendly, good rate of pay and lots of perks like benefits. I have worked for many companies large and small but Friday harbour is one of the top ones out there.

Pros

Working on a 600 acre property on lake Simcoe

Cons

The winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Friday Harbour Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4