FreshCo
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

Working at FreshCo: Employee Reviews

Canada711 reviews

Good starter job but management needs work

Worked there for 2+ years and initially things were fine and the pay was good but over time the job got sour and coworkers became a problem. A lot of the employees like to gossip about each other and due to this the environment at work can become toxic. If you’re a cashier you experience a lot of negativity from both customers and management which is sad to see for something like a starter job. The pay is fine and enough to go off of if you don’t have a lot you need to pay for at home. Be aware that there will be quite a lot of times you will get asked to work on your days off because a lot of the younger staff won’t want to come in, this isn’t a problem for everyone and some people may like the extra pay but if you have an active social life getting called a lot may be frustrating.

Stressful, fast-paced environment

The manager was rude but supervisors were nice. Typical fast-paced grocery store that teaches you how to multitask. My coworkers were friendly and made it bearable.

Insights into FreshCo

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Past-faced environment but management and staff are very supportive

It’s a good workplace. If only it’s close to my area, I would not quit. The only difficult thing for me here is when in closing shift and be asked to return the items in the shelves, it’s kinda hard to locate where to put back the items. It requires re-arrangement of stuffs for more shopping convenience.

experience

As a high school student, I learned a lot working at FreshCo communication skills, teamwork, and responsibility. The workplace was friendly and kind, to the customers and fellow employees. I always felt respect.

nice place

it is a good place to work at, everyone is nice and it has good working conditions, the work is easy and can be done in time. i learned how to work in time and get stuff done

Was an airtight job

No complaints it got my by during the start of the pandemic. Staff was amazing and the training was excellent. It was nice to see them go the extra steps during the time.

Good job for flexibility

Usually it was pretty busy and overall majority of the people were easy to get along with. However, some of management treated their employees like they were the bottom of the barrel or made them feel scared to even talk to them. The reason I left was because of the customers and how they spoke to employees. It was horrendous and draining all too much. This is a good job for someone in school needing flexible hours, though.

easy and simple. good for first job.

easy job, manager is horrible but otherwise you get paid little to do little. Staff besides one manager was great, fun to talk with and work with. customers can be rude or annoying at times but are mostly nice and respectful.

Horrible

Horrible place to work, management is horrible, won’t pay me what I’m owed, am taking them to the labor board. They play favorites, and keep hiring friends and advancing them.

Friendly staff

Working at Freshco, I felt like I was part of the family. My favorite job I have ever had. Not only was management great but the owner personal greeted each employee and checked in to see how we were each day!

Great workplace

Great place to work! Good atmosphere and helpful staff, good hours and good break times. Was a fast paced environment when busy but easily manageable.

A good first job

When I worked at FreshCo my coworkers were the best part of my job, so fun so inclusive honestly the greatest people I've ever met. The job itself was very simple I was a cashier but unfortunately I did spend a good chunk of my last year on the express cash where you're not allowed to leave it has to always stay open so, my back would hurt I would just be so bored and for any girl during that time of the month having to just stand in one spot you already know the pain. Management was very good they were always helpful always understanding when it came to customers crazy complaints. The customers were just kind of cuckoo some of them were good some of them were straight cuckoo you have to have a lot of patience while working there.

Pros

Amazing coworkers, good management

Cons

Short hours, low pay, cuckoo customers

Nice place with nice people

Nice, easygoing workplace. Customers are typically always friendly and coworkers are very kind people. Management is kind of iffy, but still a great place to work nonetheless.

Great place to work at with good coworkers.

Customer service is fairly easy at freshco. You don't need any certificates, but you are able to get a power jack if you want. The hardest part of the job would be when a co worker calls in and you have to pick up his slack.

Very poor management

Very poor management and the owner of the freshco I work has no idea what they're doing I'd look elsewhere for work if you want to be appreciated and enjoy your job.

Stepping Stone to Success

Learned alot about the grocery industry. Made a lot of friends. Learned about warehousing and recieving. Working with all sorts of different people young and old.

Pros

15 minute breaks, full time hours

Cons

Wish I was paid more

cashier clerk

its ok as starting job. I learned a lot about food and meat regulationscustomer service was fun job to do I enjoyed lots of tasks such as mark down product and

Pros

poor mangment

Cons

Amazing people to work with

Great environment with other staff, had to deal with lots of grumpy and unruly people, but management was good and time off was easy to get, great summer job

Decent first minimum wage job

Good first job if you just need to start off but there is very little room for advancement as there are only a few manager roles, no supervisors roles, and little budget for full time. I enjoyed working there and the management at my location was 10/10 just couldn’t stay after my hours starting getting cut due to budget.

I love it to be honest.

I've run businesses, I've worked in Healthcare. I've sold suits and worked in insurance offices.You get paid entry level because this is an entry level job. Most jobs do not have benefits etc if you are not full time, unsure in what universe some of the other reviewers live in. I currently don't actually have to work, I just want something to do on the weekends. This is the easiest, most laid back job I have ever had in 17 years of employment. It is methodical, very basic, with flexible hours and you are a member of a union. I don't understand why anybody would work their behinds off in any other job for the same pay. Even my pay at the hospital was 6$ an hour more than this and I prefer this job VASTLY. Employees also get a 10% off discount.

A mixed bag

Coworkers are an interesting assortment of personalities. Company is without a compass, always trying to reinvent itself by doing what NoFrills has already done. Upper management is ex-President's Choice. Desirable positions are often outsourced rather than promoting from within.Very little comraderie in the company culture, no Christmas party, events, etc."Labour is the most controllable expense" is a mantra here.

Pros

Interesting coworkers

Cons

If they can find a way to pay staff less, they will.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FreshCo. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement