Fresh St. Market Employee Reviews

Good start Job
Stocker/Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 February 2019
I got to know lots of the people working here was a great experience, very clean, tidy and professional. Management was great and very kind. You get close to the people you work with there and that’s very nice.
Pros
Lots
Cons
Hours
Grocery Store
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 October 2018
The staff is what made me stay there mostly, definitely a good part time job while in high school. 10/10 would recommend for a starting job. The hours were often unreliable and had to leave due to over staffing.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Repetitive work
productive and fun environment
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC29 September 2018
My shift usually starts at 10 on weekends. Once I arrive, I check the dairy department, and fill in milk, butter, eggs, etc.
I always check the expired date to make sure we're not selling stale products. Sometimes, while working, customers ask questions about where product might be or if we carry it and if we do, we show them the right way. It's a pretty active job which is my favourite part. I love helping out people and I always want to spend time standing up and being active. The staff are very friendly and nice. The only difficult part is that sometimes I don't pay attention to the right method of picking up heavy things, is sometimes i hurt my back, but other than that, it's a lovely place to work.
Cons
No staff discount
Loved the people I worked with
File Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 September 2018
If you work hard, they don't see it because they play favorites. They will change your work hours and if you call them out on it, they will surely make your life miserable. They will tell you to work for different departments.

Management makes way too much money when they clearly are not doing anything to make this place a better workplace.
Pros
Made friends
Cons
Management, salary, work hours
It's okay
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC21 August 2018
Working at Fresh st. Deli was Okay but I just could not stand my employer. I was constantly asking for different hours due to my schedule and talking to her about it did absolutely nothing. Overall it was a good job but the manager was unbearable
Fun workplace
Head Cashier, File Clerk & Baker (Former Employee) –  Fleetwood, BC25 April 2018
I worked in two different locations for Fresh St. First in Fleetwood and then at Panorama. At both locations the people you work with and the management are the best. My first manger is still trying to get me to come back, that just shows how much they love their people.

As a cashier you have to know codes for all the fruits and vegetable and baked goods but you learn these fairly fast because a lot of people get the same things every time. All the employees I ever worked with were so nice and so helpful even if they aren't even in your department.

They make sure you get proper training, there's opportunity for growth, good salary, fun workplace overall.
Pros
good employees/ management
Pleasant Co workers
Head Cashier / Ecom Shopper (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC24 April 2018
The customers and co workers are wonderful to see each day. The pay is terrible which is disrespectful to the hard workers at Fresh St. Market. We loved coming to work to see co workers/customers.
Pros
Pleasant customers and co workers
Cons
Pay was terrible, management hound employees and talked about them behind closed doors
Pretty Terrible
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC21 April 2018
Great co-workers, but management is over the top controlling considering it's a grocery store. Had co-workers get yelled at to speaking to their friends for a few minutes when they come by to pick up food.
Cons
No discounts on food
Horrible workplace exspecially if you take pride in your work
Fresh Department (Former Employee) –  Surrey panorama26 March 2018
Management is terrible and very clicky. Store leader never gives you feedback and will stab you in the back to make others happy. Huge turnover in younger staff as they are all over worked. Lots of cleaning and customers can be very demanding. Basically I do not recommend working here for a plan to grow and advance, they almost make it impossible to move up as they seem to always go externally and tell you your not ready but use you when they need the body/support. Also good luck on proper breaks senior staff judge you and management won't pay you for not taking them it's a no win situation. Head office never communicates at store level and head of Fresh Street is a mager snob who belittles people and thinks she's better than everyone below her.
Pros
Above average pay for management positions
Cons
Management/Communication
good employers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC15 January 2018
I loved working at fresh street. I learnt a lot about customer service and how to work as a team. Hardest part was just the location and some morning shifts
terrible experience working
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 September 2017
Horrible management. Don't treat workers with respect. I used to love working there but throughout the months the work place just was not the same. You don't get to take your breaks every two hours, I only every got to take one break on a 8hr shift.
Pros
Good food
Fun Place to Work
Fresh Street Market Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fleetwood, BC8 August 2017
Fresh St is a great place to work especially if your seeking a first Job or a job During highschool because of the very flexible schedules... Overall fun place to work
Pros
Adjustable Schedule
Cons
No Benefits
Great Place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Panorama, BC22 June 2017
Great way to learn more about how a grocery shop operates. Unlike typical markets, Fresh St. members are close to each other and operate in unison, as a family, while keeping it extremely professional.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Hours
Loved it but...
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey Panorama6 June 2017
Great job! Friendly environment and great staff. Small disputes as expected but some relationships went sour. A typical day was sedentary. I would make fresh products and serve customers. Nights often required a thorough cleaning for the morning staff (note that all departments have cleaning duties, some more than others). I learned about meat, efficiency and how to maintain a meaningful relationship with my co-workers and customers. The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that you clean alone most nights, and can be overwhelming sometimes. Other than that, great job.
tt
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2016
Preparing food, Customer service, general cleanup, preparing display, Stocking/ restocking
My day starts with preparing the display which has to be done by 9am. I also have to serve the customers during this time.
The coworkers are great and we are helping each other.
The job is very exhausting and the customers are very demanding.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Wage, benefits
Great place to work. Amazing staff members who support one another
ASSISTANT SEAFOOD LEADER (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 February 2016
Great place to work. Customers are always cheerful. I have come to know most of my customers on a first name basis. I am aware of their likes and dislikes and do my best to keep them happy and coming back.

There is room for advancement. This company invests in you. Great training and support.
Fun workplace with great team culture
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC30 June 2015
Having worked at Fresh St. Market for 2 years, I focused on the customers needs, and trying to build a relationship with those regular customers so that the next time they came into the store, I knew their name, and would know what topic to discuss. Customer service is very important to me, and staying consistent was what made the customers like me so much.
productive and fun place to work
Assistant Seafood Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 March 2015
An amazing company to work for that offers a friendly environment for both employees and customers. Management is great couldnt ask for a better place to work.