Fresh St. Market

Fresh St. Market Employee Reviews

Whenever I am working on my shift, I interact with many customers. They are always friendly which make me go work there. That way I have improved a lot in my communication skills
A good place to work and I gained lots of valuable experience that I will be able to use in future jobs and my future full time career. I also gained many skills that I will be able to use as in my everyday life
This store has not improved since starting here. Frankly, it is certainly run like a kindergarten. Management is a massive joke. This place will not fire people for continuous outright blatant racism, sexism, and homophobia from the same employees even though it has a zero tolerance policy outlined in the training manual from the day you are hired. Incredibly disturbing. Demonstrates how desperation for workers comes at a huge cost to workplace culture. However, this is in part to do with the union in place which makes it incredibly difficult for people to get fired somehow despite this. Extreme "hush hush" culture. Often times the resolution is to just "not talk about 'xyz'". Do not attempt to befriend upper management. Constant enabling/enablers of toxic behaviours to be repeated by both employees and customers. Ideas are not taken into consideration because no one cares enough to make great changes. Needs are often met with temporary solutions. Saddest part about this job is seeing passionate or hardworking coworkers who are locked into difficult positions. Poor workplace relations are heavy in the atmosphere. You will feel a looming corporate presence. As with all businesses in direct customer service, you will have both ends of the spectrum of customers: quite nice, and quite horrible. Get used to the awfully demanding customers, and treat the kind regulars with respect as many of them are seniors that become comfortable with you over time and just want to have a nice chat. Smell on garbage and organic waste pickup and disposal day is ghastly. Store music playlist - more...
Pros
Great coworkers, quality products stocked
Cons
Management, coworkers, must spend a certain amount to receive a discount, slow wage advancement for those needing to keep the job permanently
All the facilities are provided and you get to work in a very nice environment. All the person needs is to be honest and hardworking. You are appreciated after your work which turns even an exhausting day into a brighter one. The management also tries their best..
Fresh St. Market is a place to shop, to explore, to discover and more than that - it is a community-gathering place. Fresh St. Market offers top-of-the-line products in an atmosphere of discovery and exploration where new, authentic, local, organic and exclusively sourced becomes everyday shopping.
I worked here for a while, wasn't a fan of the job itself, but the people were all generally pretty good. Wouldn't go back although i left on good terms. One big positive is that they were quite flexible with hours when possible.
Sometimes personal problems with cultural behaviors come between Supervisors and clerks thus causing misunderstanding. Most of the workers there have to work for a living and their wages alone are not enough to make a decent living in Vancouver. Most of the people there have two jobs.
Job is good but too many people like to blackmail others. They hire lot of young people. this place is highly sexualized. You will find great amount of racism here. Other than that, the day to day tasks are not too difficult to follow. Retail is not for everyone. If you are sensitive or if you get headaches due to your peers or customers, work somewhere else before you end your life.
Pros
Free samples
Cons
You cant trust people with your lunch or personal items. They have a locker system.
I got to know lots of the people working here was a great experience, very clean, tidy and professional. Management was great and very kind. You get close to the people you work with there and that’s very nice.
Pros
Lots
Cons
Hours
The staff is what made me stay there mostly, definitely a good part time job while in high school. 10/10 would recommend for a starting job. The hours were often unreliable and had to leave due to over staffing.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Repetitive work
My shift usually starts at 10 on weekends. Once I arrive, I check the dairy department, and fill in milk, butter, eggs, etc. I always check the expired date to make sure we're not selling stale products. Sometimes, while working, customers ask questions about where product might be or if we carry it and if we do, we show them the right way. It's a pretty active job which is my favourite part. I love helping out people and I always want to spend time standing up and being active. The staff are very friendly and nice. The only difficult part is that sometimes I don't pay attention to the right method of picking up heavy things, is sometimes i hurt my back, but other than that, it's a lovely place to work.
Cons
No staff discount
If you work hard, they don't see it because they play favorites. They will change your work hours and if you call them out on it, they will surely make your life miserable. They will tell you to work for different departments. Management makes way too much money when they clearly are not doing anything to make this place a better workplace.
Pros
Made friends
Cons
Management, salary, work hours
Working at Fresh st. Deli was Okay but I just could not stand my employer. I was constantly asking for different hours due to my schedule and talking to her about it did absolutely nothing. Overall it was a good job but the manager was unbearable
I worked in two different locations for Fresh St. First in Fleetwood and then at Panorama. At both locations the people you work with and the management are the best. My first manger is still trying to get me to come back, that just shows how much they love their people. As a cashier you have to know codes for all the fruits and vegetable and baked goods but you learn these fairly fast because a lot of people get the same things every time. All the employees I ever worked with were so nice and so helpful even if they aren't even in your department. They make sure you get proper training, there's opportunity for growth, good salary, fun workplace overall.
Pros
good employees/ management
The customers and co workers are wonderful to see each day. The pay is terrible which is disrespectful to the hard workers at Fresh St. Market. We loved coming to work to see co workers/customers.
Pros
Pleasant customers and co workers
Cons
Pay was terrible, management hound employees and talked about them behind closed doors
Great co-workers, but management is over the top controlling considering it's a grocery store. Had co-workers get yelled at to speaking to their friends for a few minutes when they come by to pick up food.
Cons
No discounts on food
Management is terrible and very clicky. Store leader never gives you feedback and will stab you in the back to make others happy. Huge turnover in younger staff as they are all over worked. Lots of cleaning and customers can be very demanding. Basically I do not recommend working here for a plan to grow and advance, they almost make it impossible to move up as they seem to always go externally and tell you your not ready but use you when they need the body/support. Also good luck on proper breaks senior staff judge you and management won't pay you for not taking them it's a no win situation. Head office never communicates at store level and head of Fresh Street is a mager snob who belittles people and thinks she's better than everyone below her.
Pros
Above average pay for management positions
Cons
Management/Communication
I loved working at fresh street. I learnt a lot about customer service and how to work as a team. Hardest part was just the location and some morning shifts
Horrible management. Don't treat workers with respect. I used to love working there but throughout the months the work place just was not the same. You don't get to take your breaks every two hours, I only every got to take one break on a 8hr shift.
Pros
Good food
Fresh St is a great place to work especially if your seeking a first Job or a job During highschool because of the very flexible schedules... Overall fun place to work
Pros
Adjustable Schedule
Cons
No Benefits
Great way to learn more about how a grocery shop operates. Unlike typical markets, Fresh St. members are close to each other and operate in unison, as a family, while keeping it extremely professional.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Hours