Fresh Direct Produce

Fresh Direct Produce Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
lack of management and collaborative environment
Managers do the bare minimum to train. Get blamed for mistakes that are unavoidable for a new employee. Most of the employees there are friendly with the exception of some in higher positions who get infuriated if they are talked to. Free apples, oranges, and occasionally more exotic fruits
Warehouse Operator
Processed customer payments and transactions, up to 40 a day.
Completed daily inventory count of 5 coolers containing produce.

Collected shipping manifest from drivers and recorded.
Horrible
Most of the verbal inter company communication is done in Chinese, not English. Direct manager had a terrible temper and would lash out at small situations, and did not know how to operate basic tech gadgets (use a computer properly, Skype, etc). Major power trip from upper management, and they did nothing to rectify any concerns that were brought up by employees. There were some staff members that were very catty (mostly the females) and gossiped a lot instead of focusing on their work.
Pros
Met some really nice co workers there
Cons
Pretty much everything, sadly
Fun workplace everyone easy to get along with.
Very relaxed a lot of help from coworkers will be given.Chinese cultured warehouse. Warehouse is really small and unogranized, hard to find what you're looking for.
Pros
good people
Cons
very unorganized
not a good place if you want to grow
Salaries are lower than the market average. Supervisors and management can be bias, hard works are not being recognized. Lower level employees are sometimes not being respected by the senior/upper employees. However, the only good thing is you can get free fruit (not every day).
Pros
sometimes free fruit
Cons
low wages
Hard Work Decent Pay
When its busy expect to work 10 hours a day, but when its not its a very chill day. Pay is decent, good bonuses and fun work environment. Could upgrade machinery and make the warehouse more organized.
I love working here!
I've been with the company a few years now and have grown my skills a lot. I love that they encourage you to keep growing and developing. The company has changed a lot too in size and business, expanding. The owners are great, they're pretty involved with the day to day, and are available to everyone.

I also like my co-workers. Everyone is pretty nice, and are very hard working. When there's a problem, like a power outage or something, everyone pulls together and just make things happen.

Sometimes the hours are long, but I don't mind - the company is growing and I like what I do. The people and growth keep me here.
Pros
Development opps, friendly, growth, interesting industry, always changing
Cons
Sometimes long hours, growing pains
Night/graveyard
Night shift was demanding 4+ hours over time. Environment can become very political and if you're not Chinese/cantonese, it can be difficult. Very poor inventory management/control.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fresh Direct Produce?
Highly not recommended
Need to work on Saturday and public holiday, need to work in coolers, need to pay for health care benefits, pay is low and demanding, many Chinese working in the company
Draining place to work out
Managers don't recognize hard work and good ideas. This company although young, is resistant to change.
Average working of 10 hours a day and every other Saturday is mandatory.
prejudice against transport users
It seems lately that calgary companies are taking a stance against transit users. Fresh direct is just the latest. During a recent interview, was found to have all experience necessary but when I was asked about my mode of transport. A demeanor change and out right stating that transit users never work out. THIS IS A TREND LATELY! Just because someone doesn't own a car DOES NOT MAKE THEM LESS SUITABLE!
Poorly managed
Head office is in Vancouver, I appreciate and respect their vision but at the local level in Calgary the management is lacking. Very poorly run.
The job nature is okay but work long hours
The management is very supportive. Some of the co-workers are nicer than others. The job nature is okay; I have learned quite a lot from the job. However, I always had to work long hours without extra pay. I lost the work-life balance, and so I decided to look for other options.
Pros
Benefits and Bonus
Cons
Long Hours