Fresh Air Cinema

Fresh Air Cinema Employee Reviews for Audio Visual Technician

I worked for Fresh Air Cinema for 3 years. I would say that 50% of the work is in the shop, and the other 50% is out working events. You definitely learn allot working this job. Things you would never expect to learn working for a AV company. Usually we worked in the shop Monday - Wednesday, then did events on the weekend. During the busiest months sometimes there was events everyday. One of the things I really enjoyed was the crew you worked with. It almost feels like there family towards the end. The owner of the company can be a little rough around the edges, however once you get to know him he is very reasonable and quiet knowledgeable. If your the kind of person who likes to travel and learn, I would recommend working at Fresh Air.
Pros
Get to travel, the pay is good for what you do, you learn allot of interesting things
Cons
The hours can be long, and you sometimes have to work away
I have worked for Fresh Air Cinema for 2 years now and I don't see anything that negatives about this company. You get paid fairly for the job you do, on top of that you get tons of overtime hours that are most of them travel hours. Lost of traveling in and outside the province. The best part of this job is that you get to watch movies during your working hours, isn't that cool ?? Management is great, very informative and they will always provide the highest level of training and support during the season, as well as stuff party and great bonuses for your hard work. Definitely recommending working here.
Cons
BC teamA typical workday is 9 to 12 hours however about half of that is waiting for cars to arrive, driving and doing occasional checks on equipment and customers. The job for the most part is relaxed but there will always be surprises.Scheduling and communication are not perfect, at times your schedule will not be updated for the coming week. You may also not know there is a show until an hour or less before. Although all of this does not happen too often it does happen.The operation manager is amazing and totally has your back! it would be very hard not to become quick friends with the people you work with and for the most part, everyone takes care of each other and looks out for their team.The hardest part of the job is handling equipment safely as you have to set up a lot. Sometimes this is in bad conditions or with few people in a short time frame. A lot of the job is relaxed but there is also a lot of physical labour and when you are tired you have to be very careful not to damage things. It can be hard setting up equipment even when you are all well-rested. It is also very important that you take pictures of anything damaged or broken and tell your supervisor right away as you can and will be the one blamed if you cannot prove otherwise to the CEO.The most enjoyable part of the job is getting fast at setting up and tearing down with your team, by the end of the year you have everything down to a science and can cut the time you spend on these tasks almost in half giving yourself and your team more time to enjoy the amazing places you go in BC and also you get - more...
Pros
Hanging out with your team, Traveling BC, Food on trips is subsidised, Going out as just a team to get a job done in new places and payed travel.
Cons
Long hours, Hard to handle sensitive equipment safely, not always trusting, often bad communication, a lot of responsibility.
I've work for Fresh Air Cinema BC for two summers now, and I enjoyed working for them both years. Management is friendly and reasonable. The best part of working there (besides getting to watch movies all summer long) would be the people that you work with. An added bonus is the opportunity to work out of town and getting to see more of BC while you work. Be prepared for long shifts (sometimes as long as 13hrs, hardly ever less than 8hrs) usually getting off work around 2am (4am worst case). There will be plenty of heavy lifting on each shift, cancel your gym membership while you're working here. However, most of the job consists of driving a truck and trailer to the event, setting up, then waiting 4 hours until it's dark out. Then after the movie packing up, and driving back to the shop. If you get the opportunity to work for Fresh Air Cinema BC, definitely do.
A typical day will start with, checking your brief, getting your kit ready, loading up a vehicle + trailer and getting on the road. Get to the Job, set up, watch a movie whilst keeping an eye on the equipment and finishing a report, then you pack it all away and head back to the office. You'll have regular events in the lower mainland that you'll do weekly and see familiar faces, but sometimes you'll get sent out to places in the interior, Vancouver Island, Northern BC and more! I learned a lot about events, inflatable movie screens, AV equipment and saw a lot of movies that I'd never seen before (as well as some classics I loved seeing again). The management are friendly and approachable, the owner is a great guy who rewards and appreciates hard work. I caused some accidental damage to a company vehicle whilst away on a job and it was handled very well by my line manager and the owner. Workplace culture is fun, the staff joke a a lot and keep spirits high when the day is getting physical and tiring. Hardest part of the job is the physicality of it and the long hours. However, for summer jobs to be worth while, they usually have to involve long hours. Otherwise you'd not make any money and may as well have had the summer off. Traveling the province with a colleague, showing families movies is a pretty sweet gig! The banter with the crew & chance to earn good summer money without working some kind of corporate, soul crushing job is also great. I had a great summer and hope to be back again!
Pros
Outdoor work, travel opportunities, meeting new people, good summer earner, good management, got a sweet tan
Cons
Long hours, working public holidays, heavy lifting at some events
Worked at this company for 5 years in Surrey, BC. Moved from an Assistant Tech to Operations Manager over my time. Really enjoyed my time there. Owner was fair and friendly. Summers were extremely busy, not much time for anything other than work but they were upfront about this and I knew going in I would be working a lot.
Pros
Friendly environment, cool events
Cons
Long hours, nights and weekends
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fresh Air Cinema?