Fresh Air Cinema

Fresh Air Cinema Employee Reviews

Possibly the most unique summer job!

This is a great summer job! Lots of hours and lots of travel, great attitudes and lots to learn! Physical work is a large part of the job, great way to get in shape. Driving all over the place and getting experience with audio video equipment and working with people! You can learn alot and experience even more. And who doesnt love Drive In Movies?!

Pros

Great crew and teaching, solid hours, travel, movies!!

Cons

Long hours (event nights) physically intensive at times, only in spurts

Fun job with allot of traveling

I worked for Fresh Air Cinema for 3 years. I would say that 50% of the work is in the shop, and the other 50% is out working events. You definitely learn allot working this job. Things you would never expect to learn working for a AV company. Usually we worked in the shop Monday - Wednesday, then did events on the weekend. During the busiest months sometimes there was events everyday. One of the things I really enjoyed was the crew you worked with. It almost feels like there family towards the end. The owner of the company can be a little rough around the edges, however once you get to know him he is very reasonable and quiet knowledgeable. If your the kind of person who likes to travel and learn, I would recommend working at Fresh Air.

Pros

Get to travel, the pay is good for what you do, you learn allot of interesting things

Cons

The hours can be long, and you sometimes have to work away

Great and Respected Company to work for

I have worked for Fresh Air Cinema for 2 years now and I don't see anything that negatives about this company. You get paid fairly for the job you do, on top of that you get tons of overtime hours that are most of them travel hours. Lost of traveling in and outside the province. The best part of this job is that you get to watch movies during your working hours, isn't that cool ?? Management is great, very informative and they will always provide the highest level of training and support during the season, as well as stuff party and great bonuses for your hard work. Definitely recommending working here.

Cons

Great way to see BC, some up and downs but over all a good job

BC teamA typical workday is 9 to 12 hours however about half of that is waiting for cars to arrive, driving and doing occasional checks on equipment and customers. The job for the most part is relaxed but there will always be surprises.Scheduling and communication are not perfect, at times your schedule will not be updated for the coming week. You may also not know there is a show until an hour or less before. Although all of this does not happen too often it does happen.The operation manager is amazing and totally has your back! it would be very hard not to become quick friends with the people you work with and for the most part, everyone takes care of each other and looks out for their team.The hardest part of the job is handling equipment safely as you have to set up a lot. Sometimes this is in bad conditions or with few people in a short time frame. A lot of the job is relaxed but there is also a lot of physical labour and when you are tired you have to be very careful not to damage things. It can be hard setting up equipment even when you are all well-rested. It is also very important that you take pictures of anything damaged or broken and tell your supervisor right away as you can and will be the one blamed if you cannot prove otherwise to the CEO.The most enjoyable part of the job is getting fast at setting up and tearing down with your team, by the end of the year you have everything down to a science and can cut the time you spend on these tasks almost in half giving yourself and your team more time to enjoy the amazing places you go in BC and also you get -

Pros

Hanging out with your team, Traveling BC, Food on trips is subsidised, Going out as just a team to get a job done in new places and payed travel.

Cons

Long hours, Hard to handle sensitive equipment safely, not always trusting, often bad communication, a lot of responsibility.

Entertainment Delivery Specialists: Outdoor Unit

I picked up a job at the BC branch as a technician over the Summer 2020 season. At a time of worldwide uncertainty they managed to adapt and keep operating in the entertainment industry through the challenging times, no small feat. It felt good to give people an opportunity to unwind and be entertained while being as safe as possible during COVID times. There are the typical standard operating procedures to follow, but every event is different, forcing you to think on your toes and be adaptable. Working outdoors is great, even in the rain. Wind is your enemy. Happiness depends on your team mates, don't be a jerk.If you can hook up a DVD player to a TV and can lift 50-100(MAX)lbs 2-4 times a day, you could do this.Typical Shift: Show up at the shop, load up a trailer, drive to the event, set up, wait for dark, play movie, pack up, clean up, drive back to the shop, unload trailer, lock up, go home. Middle Management is great, Upper management is cool but has the all stresses of any company owner on their shoulders - which can trickle down.

Pros

Paid Travel, Entertaining people, See and meet lots people

Cons

Long Hours, Away from home, management tries to save money

Ok but not great

It was ok for the summer but I don’t see myself going back. You also be the owners yard work , so it’s more that you are hired for. Overall it’s not bad, but the management could be better

Pros

Paid to watch movies, outside, travel.

Cons

Performance based bonus

Fun and adventurous work environment with long hours

No two days are ever quite the same. You get to be a major part of creating some amazing huge scale events that are loved by thousands of people. Learn important skills ranging from audio-visual wiring to sales and client care. Lots of small perks - free food, free passes to events, paid travel and overtime. Good workplace culture - inclusive but also relaxed. Worst part of the job are the long hours in the summer, including working most evenings and weekends. Best part of the job are the amazing event experiences.

Fun Workplace!

At this job, I have learned many life skills, along with skills that will project into my future jobs. Everyone at the company is thoroughly enjoyable!

Great Adventurous Summer Work Environment

This events company is a great place to work. Long hours and a lot of lost weekends, but some amazing experiences, and no two days are ever the same/

Great Summer Job

I've work for Fresh Air Cinema BC for two summers now, and I enjoyed working for them both years. Management is friendly and reasonable. The best part of working there (besides getting to watch movies all summer long) would be the people that you work with. An added bonus is the opportunity to work out of town and getting to see more of BC while you work. Be prepared for long shifts (sometimes as long as 13hrs, hardly ever less than 8hrs) usually getting off work around 2am (4am worst case). There will be plenty of heavy lifting on each shift, cancel your gym membership while you're working here. However, most of the job consists of driving a truck and trailer to the event, setting up, then waiting 4 hours until it's dark out. Then after the movie packing up, and driving back to the shop. If you get the opportunity to work for Fresh Air Cinema BC, definitely do.

Perfect for travelers!

This job is amazing, as a foreigner that was perfect to work and travel at the same time! The training was well done to be ready on time and the staff crew was very considerate! I recommend it!

Amazing Place to Work

The BC location is an absolutely fantastic place to work. Management is fun, easy-going and very approachable. They provided excellent training and never played the blame game when something didn't go right. They always focused on what went wrong and how to improve going forward. Summers here are incredibly fast-paced and there is not a lot of time for much outside of work, particularly in August, but you are told this upfront. I had the opportunity to do some overnight trips to Whistler/Pemberton, as well as the BC interior during the summer. These trips were great chances for learning and I enjoyed the time away from the lower mainland. Every year, you have a different crew and this year's crew was phenomenal! As with anything, there can be clashes in high-stress situations but, for the majority of the time, we all worked well together to get the job done. Getting to know everyone and work with them was one of the best parts of the job! The banter and comradery made the hot days and physical labour well worth it. The hardest part of the job would probably be having to work out in the elements. While we did have a decent summer overall, there were a couple of stormy evenings (rain and/or thunder) that we got caught in that soaked us to the bones and required special attention to make sure equipment didn't get damaged. If given the opportunity, I would absolutely work at Fresh Air Cinema again.

Great summer job for BC

I volunteered at the BC division for 3 years and last year they invited me to become a paid employee for them. Everyone there is extremely nice and helpful. Great benefits and chill environment.

Awesome Summer Job for Students

This is the best summer job ever! Pays well and the people are awesome. It’s a great environment to be included in and it works perfectly with my schedule as a full time student. If you are looking for a summer job, THIS IS IT.

Great and unique work experience

The bc branch was amazing to work for, the leadership was really kind and friendly. The actual work itself was not too difficult and travelling around the province was a huge bonus.

BC division of the company is a really great company to work for

I can only speak to the BC company, but I worked there for multiple years and it was some of the best work experience i've ever had. A perfect summer job. Pros: - Great and friendly ownership. - Really unique and cool work environment being at outdoor movie events. - Nice to be outdoors in the summer and meeting lots of nice people. - They treat their people well and are great about trying to make the schedules (that can be long hours sometimes) work for everyone. Cons: - It can be long hours (although it flies by because you're outside and having fun). - If you're doing crewing (so not office etc.) it tends to be just seasonal during the summer months.

BC office is a great place to work over the summer, great line manager and a fantastic owner. I got to see a lot of BC and met some fantastic people.

A typical day will start with, checking your brief, getting your kit ready, loading up a vehicle + trailer and getting on the road. Get to the Job, set up, watch a movie whilst keeping an eye on the equipment and finishing a report, then you pack it all away and head back to the office. You'll have regular events in the lower mainland that you'll do weekly and see familiar faces, but sometimes you'll get sent out to places in the interior, Vancouver Island, Northern BC and more! I learned a lot about events, inflatable movie screens, AV equipment and saw a lot of movies that I'd never seen before (as well as some classics I loved seeing again). The management are friendly and approachable, the owner is a great guy who rewards and appreciates hard work. I caused some accidental damage to a company vehicle whilst away on a job and it was handled very well by my line manager and the owner. Workplace culture is fun, the staff joke a a lot and keep spirits high when the day is getting physical and tiring. Hardest part of the job is the physicality of it and the long hours. However, for summer jobs to be worth while, they usually have to involve long hours. Otherwise you'd not make any money and may as well have had the summer off. Traveling the province with a colleague, showing families movies is a pretty sweet gig! The banter with the crew & chance to earn good summer money without working some kind of corporate, soul crushing job is also great. I had a great summer and hope to be back again!

Pros

Outdoor work, travel opportunities, meeting new people, good summer earner, good management, got a sweet tan

Cons

Long hours, working public holidays, heavy lifting at some events

Amazing Company to work for !

Great work life balance. Great Pay & Great Management. A great summer job. Good opportunity for Travel very early on in your contract . Very flexible too.

Pros

Plenty of opportunities.

Cons

N/a

Friendly people, interesting job!

Worked at this company for 5 years in Surrey, BC. Moved from an Assistant Tech to Operations Manager over my time. Really enjoyed my time there. Owner was fair and friendly. Summers were extremely busy, not much time for anything other than work but they were upfront about this and I knew going in I would be working a lot.

Pros

Friendly environment, cool events

Cons

Long hours, nights and weekends

Season Event Crew Labourer

Have worked for this company numerous times. Enjoyed the job! Events were a lot of fun and you get to watch lots of movies and see the province. Lots of driving required.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Not a full-time permanent position

Incompetence and arrogance

The owner is a terrible man. Aggressively racist and prejudiced. Does not know how to manage a company at all. His second in command isn’t much better, just younger and dumber. Lots of terrible stories dealing with these men. Pay was delayed numerous times, company time wasted consistently. Some of the staff are nice people but they don’t care about the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fresh Air Cinema. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.3Job security/advancement
  • Fresh Air Cinema
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?