Fresh Air Cinema

Fresh Air Cinema Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
No two days are ever quite the same.
You get to be a major part of creating some amazing huge scale events that are loved by thousands of people.

Learn important skills ranging from audio-visual wiring to sales and client care.

Lots of small perks - free food, free passes to events, paid travel and overtime.

Good workplace culture - inclusive but also relaxed.

Worst part of the job are the long hours in the summer, including working most evenings and weekends.

Best part of the job are the amazing event experiences.
It was ok for the summer but I don’t see myself going back. You also be the owners yard work , so it’s more that you are hired for. Overall it’s not bad, but the management could be better
Pros
Paid to watch movies, outside, travel.
Cons
Performance based bonus
At this job, I have learned many life skills, along with skills that will project into my future jobs. Everyone at the company is thoroughly enjoyable!
This events company is a great place to work. Long hours and a lot of lost weekends, but some amazing experiences, and no two days are ever the same/
I've work for Fresh Air Cinema BC for two summers now, and I enjoyed working for them both years. Management is friendly and reasonable. The best part of working there (besides getting to watch movies all summer long) would be the people that you work with. An added bonus is the opportunity to work out of town and getting to see more of BC while you work.
Be prepared for long shifts (sometimes as long as 13hrs, hardly ever less than 8hrs) usually getting off work around 2am (4am worst case). There will be plenty of heavy lifting on each shift, cancel your gym membership while you're working here.

However, most of the job consists of driving a truck and trailer to the event, setting up, then waiting 4 hours until it's dark out. Then after the movie packing up, and driving back to the shop.

If you get the opportunity to work for Fresh Air Cinema BC, definitely do.
This job is amazing, as a foreigner that was perfect to work and travel at the same time! The training was well done to be ready on time and the staff crew was very considerate! I recommend it!
The BC location is an absolutely fantastic place to work.
Management is fun, easy-going and very approachable. They provided excellent training and never played the blame game when something didn't go right. They always focused on what went wrong and how to improve going forward.

Summers here are incredibly fast-paced and there is not a lot of time for much outside of work, particularly in August, but you are told this upfront.

I had the opportunity to do some overnight trips to Whistler/Pemberton, as well as the BC interior during the summer. These trips were great chances for learning and I enjoyed the time away from the lower mainland.

Every year, you have a different crew and this year's crew was phenomenal! As with anything, there can be clashes in high-stress situations but, for the majority of the time, we all worked well together to get the job done. Getting to know everyone and work with them was one of the best parts of the job! The banter and comradery made the hot days and physical labour well worth it.

The hardest part of the job would probably be having to work out in the elements. While we did have a decent summer overall, there were a couple of stormy evenings (rain and/or thunder) that we got caught in that soaked us to the bones and required special attention to make sure equipment didn't get damaged.

If given the opportunity, I would absolutely work at Fresh Air Cinema again.
I volunteered at the BC division for 3 years and last year they invited me to become a paid employee for them. Everyone there is extremely nice and helpful. Great benefits and chill environment.
This is the best summer job ever! Pays well and the people are awesome. It’s a great environment to be included in and it works perfectly with my schedule as a full time student. If you are looking for a summer job, THIS IS IT.
The bc branch was amazing to work for, the leadership was really kind and friendly. The actual work itself was not too difficult and travelling around the province was a huge bonus.
I can only speak to the BC company, but I worked there for multiple years and it was some of the best work experience i've ever had. A perfect summer job.

Pros:

- Great and friendly ownership.

- Really unique and cool work environment being at outdoor movie events.

- Nice to be outdoors in the summer and meeting lots of nice people.

- They treat their people well and are great about trying to make the schedules (that can be long hours sometimes) work for everyone.

Cons:

- It can be long hours (although it flies by because you're outside and having fun).

- If you're doing crewing (so not office etc.) it tends to be just seasonal during the summer months.
A typical day will start with, checking your brief, getting your kit ready, loading up a vehicle + trailer and getting on the road.
Get to the Job, set up, watch a movie whilst keeping an eye on the equipment and finishing a report, then you pack it all away and head back to the office.

You'll have regular events in the lower mainland that you'll do weekly and see familiar faces, but sometimes you'll get sent out to places in the interior, Vancouver Island, Northern BC and more!

I learned a lot about events, inflatable movie screens, AV equipment and saw a lot of movies that I'd never seen before (as well as some classics I loved seeing again).

The management are friendly and approachable, the owner is a great guy who rewards and appreciates hard work. I caused some accidental damage to a company vehicle whilst away on a job and it was handled very well by my line manager and the owner.

Workplace culture is fun, the staff joke a a lot and keep spirits high when the day is getting physical and tiring.

Hardest part of the job is the physicality of it and the long hours. However, for summer jobs to be worth while, they usually have to involve long hours. Otherwise you'd not make any money and may as well have had the summer off.

Traveling the province with a colleague, showing families movies is a pretty sweet gig! The banter with the crew & chance to earn good summer money without working some kind of corporate, soul crushing job is also great. I had a great summer and hope to be back again!
Pros
Outdoor work, travel opportunities, meeting new people, good summer earner, good management, got a sweet tan
Cons
Long hours, working public holidays, heavy lifting at some events
Great work life balance. Great Pay & Great Management. A great summer job. Good opportunity for Travel very early on in your contract . Very flexible too.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities.
Cons
N/a
Worked at this company for 5 years in Surrey, BC. Moved from an Assistant Tech to Operations Manager over my time. Really enjoyed my time there. Owner was fair and friendly. Summers were extremely busy, not much time for anything other than work but they were upfront about this and I knew going in I would be working a lot.
Pros
Friendly environment, cool events
Cons
Long hours, nights and weekends
Have worked for this company numerous times. Enjoyed the job! Events were a lot of fun and you get to watch lots of movies and see the province. Lots of driving required.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not a full-time permanent position
The owner is a terrible man. Aggressively racist and prejudiced. Does not know how to manage a company at all. His second in command isn’t much better, just younger and dumber. Lots of terrible stories dealing with these men. Pay was delayed numerous times, company time wasted consistently. Some of the staff are nice people but they don’t care about the job.
I cannot say enough negative things about this place....well that snot fair, some of the other staff and office staff are good but the boss is just the worse human I have ever met. Rude. Ignorant.
Pros
Some good staff
Cons
Owner
Very insteresting job. Got to travel all over the country and meet new people. Never a dull moment. Learned a lot of management skills and being able to direct people
Loved this job for what it was, the people I worked with were great and the places I got to see were even better! they days and nights are long but that comes with setting up outdoor movie events all over BC. Loved the experience and would come back next season!