Fred Victor

Fred Victor Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews

Good organization

Wish I had staff with grid Victor. The pay stubs as competitive, the only draw back was they where asking to much from staff. The clients that you work with where complex and should off had more addictions specialist insight:

The culture tolerated abusive conduct by sr. management with excessive suffocating micromanaging.

Fair employer with respect to salary, benefits and in particular generous vacation entitlement but not really worth all that when having to work in an environment where no diversity of thought is encouraged or welcomed. Also will be told not to book any summer vacation if sr. manager has booked that time off.

Pros

Steady paycheque, nice co-workers and easy commute if you reside near downtown Toronto.

Cons

Frequent staff turnover, inconsistent instruction, no annual performance reviews, unqualified and untrained sr. management.

Great Job for helping the homeless

I enjoy working for Fred Victor. I worked at multiple locations, Caledonia, the safe-injection site and the respite. The respite is my favourite.

Cons

High stress and burn-out if you don't know how to manage it

Job seeker beware

The emergency respite at 67 Adelaide is a horrible place to work. The management display favouritism amongst employees it’s just a dark cloud.Employees are poorly treated and expected to take on large work loads, and things not within job description. 67 Adelaide is one of the worst respites to work at!

Pros

Cons

Supervisor and Program Manager Management

Challenging workplace, and fast paced environment.

Loved the work, and the clients. The work culture, atmosphere, and management not so much. Really depends where you work as each location is very different.

Reliable and sustainable

Not too stressful, to make mult- cultural food, and time management, the hardest part is food delivery the most enjoyable is customer's satisfaction.

Passionate towards the people we serve

My experience since working at Fred Victor has surpassed my expectations. The site I work out of Mon-Fri is amazing beyond words. Level of support from management and colleagues is undeniably astounding which allows myself to be more productive in my day to encounters with the community I serve and when there are issues that you’ve never experienced you can always count that a colleague has already dealt with the same situation and is able to provide direction. Across the board organization wise our sole purpose is to ensure everyone has the ability to access housing and support them to maintain their housing. One day at a time and one person at at time we are assisting to end homelessness.

Pros

Supportive Team Environment

Cons

N/a

community work

fred victor has many programs, from court support, shelters, housing, employment as well as community support. each program has its skills, challenges and happiness. part of a union, some managers are awesome others not so much. overall its an enjoyable work environment. it can be challenging working with clients and the community; your personality will make a huge difference on how you relate to clients, community and staff. the team I am currently on is the best, manager is awesome, coworkers are fabulous and the clients/community are pleasant.

Pros

flexiable schedule

Cons

gossip

i enjoy saving lives

great team regular shift hours. busy environment working with marginalized people in the safe injection site is makingan impact i enjoy being part of the solution of the opioid crisis

Cons

late hours

Hostile Work Environment

The Fred Victor Emergency Respite was very poorly managed, with supervisors showing little regard for either frontline staff or residents of the shelter. Training was non-existent, front-line staff were expected to work without formal contracts and ever-extending "contract end dates" made for a culture of fear and little-to-no job security.

Pros

Competitive Salary

Cons

12 hour shifts, daily violence with poorly trained security

Upper management is out of touch with how hard the front line staff work to make things happen

Fred Victor does a lot of work to assist people who are the most vulnerable in the community. It is a fast paced environment in the community programs and housing - hard work but very rewarding if one is into social justice work.

Provided supportive counsel for female women who were homeless, abused, suffered mental illness, new immigrants and few refugees, Cooked, handled medication, did administrative work such as write-up reports, faxed, intake and discharge. Co-workers were a good team. The hardest part was providing crisis management when physical fights broke out. Most enjoyable was seeing a client progressed from level to a higher.

Pros

The shelter was near to where I lived, so never had to take transporation.

Cons

Not being able to make a bigger difference in the shelter system

Interesting,

Helped with the women, gave them food, counselling, and items they may need. I learned about helping people to make a positive influence in their life, by motivating them.

productive and fun workplace

To be honest, I think my job is very easy. Maybe it is my personality reason. I am a detailed-oriented and accurate person with strong logical thinking, so I never make errors in my role. I enjoy working here but want to leave because there is no room to grow up in the institution. Now I have almost completed the CGA program study and am expecting that my career will also move ahead.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fred Victor. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement