Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy Employee Reviews

Starter Job for Law School bound recent grads
Assistant Paralegal & Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA3 June 2019
Little to no room for upwards mobility within the company as a non-attorney. Coworkers can be great depending on your team but they pay well under market and overload paralegals with cases which sets the team up for failure when trying to meet client needs.
Cons
Very Low Pay
Review
I-9 Service Center Client Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA31 May 2019
I enjoyed my time at Fragomen. Everyone was very friendly and I appreciated the knowledge I acquired while working there. Fragomen set me up with building blocks to succeeded even further.

Thanks
Review
Assistant Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA8 May 2019
It was nice and fun to work at fragomen. Although I was there for a short period of time, it was really easy to understand the instructions and get to know the people.
Worst "business" I have ever worked for
Finance (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire7 March 2019
I put the term business in quotation marks as Fragomen is not run as a business. You have people in management positions who know nothing about business or their own departments. It's the only place I've worked where a consultant was hired who knew nothing about the department he was consulting for. As a result, decisions are made that are baffling, solutions to process gaps are knowingly overlooked, and you are told where you're going wrong by someone less qualified than you.
There is a blame culture, which I was warned about by a senior manager early on, which leaves everyone terrified to take ownership of problems/issues meaning, nothing gets resolved and you have a lot of angry clients. There is no point raising this with management or HR, I did, they don't care.
The atmosphere is highly toxic, hence why we had over 100 people leave the office I was in over the space of 2 and a half years.
It isn't possible to complete your workload during normal working hours and you are psychologically pushed to stay beyond these hours (unpaid) to complete this unrealistic workload. This isn't just 15 minutes here and there, that's standard in any workplace, it's 2/3/4 hours after your finish time.
I've also never been spoken to so rudely by internal staff as I have at Fragomen. This is by people at all levels, admin staff right up to partners and despite raising the issue time and time again, it was never addressed. I believe politeness is the most basic of traits, apparently too basic for Fragomen.
Colleagues repeatedly broke down due to stress but nothing changes, more work is
  more... piled on you, you stay late to complete, you aren't thanked or paid for doing so and you never progress in your career. Rinse and repeat. That's a 2 year cycle at Fragomen for you.
If you're already a qualified lawyer then it may be worth working here, you're a protected species. If you are applying for any other role, avoid like the plague, actually, scratch that, the plague would be preferable.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no career progression, blame culture, complete lack of empathy from management
Interesting and challenging.
CLIENT SERVICES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 March 2019
Work was challenging but very interesting. Typical day at work would involve organizing your day; dealing with clients; reviewing and drafting casework; billing.

As firm is fully focused on immigration, you are always kept current on new / changing regulations, etc. Firm's database also had excellent reference tools.

Hardest part of job was balancing a heavy caseload and being sure to meet deadlines. Dealing with clients could be challenging. Work/Life balance was not good.

Most enjoyable part of the job to me was using writing skills to draft application letters.
Pros
Vacation/sick day policy and other corporate benefits.
Cons
Work / life balance.
great place to work
Receptionist/Office Manager/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC5 February 2019
This was overall one of my favorite workplaces. The people in the office i was in were every ready to teach you new things. I enjoyed everything about my time here. I learned more about the immigration process and how to do applications. I worked hard but at the end of the day you knew you were helping people come to a better life.
Pros
healthcare, compensation
Cons
no office in Philadelphia
Management require effective leadership skills
Senior Immigration Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 February 2019
Great talent but the firm struggles with retention. Management at the firm is generally passive in the roles. There is a lack of ownership and team work on the side of management; often leads to a lack of innovation.
Pros
Occasional cake
Cons
Lack of innovation and effective leadership.
Great people, supportive environment but too much work, no work/life balance for managers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA17 January 2019
Great people, supportive environment but too much work, no work/life balance for senior (non-attorney) staff
Attorneys and managers are approachable
Lots of overtime needed to get the job done
Business casual
No annual bonuses for non-exempt employees (but there is unlimited overtime due to the high volume of work)
Snacks and drinks available year-round
Rewarding workplace
Assistant Paralegal 1 (Current Employee) –  Matawan, NJ10 January 2019
Rigorous workload but rewarding company to work for as it offers opportunities for growth. You will learn a great deal and although the caseload is heavy, it is rewarding.
Great attorneys and leaders
Assistant Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA13 December 2018
I got lucky to be a part of a great team with a great leadership that enables us, paralegals and assistant paralegals to manage our own workload and in return, we are productive and motivated to be successful. However, the work volume is just simply heavy that people are easily burnt out resulting to high turnover.
Pros
pleasant coworkers and attornets
Cons
overwhelming workload. Repetitive process
Highly unprofessional, don’t support and guide employees, use benefits to disguise heavy scrutiny and work load
Immigration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 November 2018
I have never been let down more in my life by a workplace than fragomen in Sheffield. I worked as a coordinator for 6 months and although the work wasn’t entirely what I was interested in I felt like this was a good company to work for and they treated their employees with gratitude and respect but I couldn’t have been more wrong.

They lead you to believe they have fantastic work ethics and policies and treat everyone fairly but you are simply just a number and they do not care one bit about their employees. They lure you in with all these benefits with social events and nights out and fun things to do in the office, which is great , but it’s simply just a disguise to distract you from how closely you are being monitored.

Targets are exceptionally high which is fine for a high standard company, but the targets are not drilled into you at all they just seem like a passing comment, and almost nothing is said about how vital it is to meet those targets so you believe you are doing absolutely fine, even being told so by your senior coordinators.

Upon scrutinising your targets the managers and more importantly the senior coordinators, the people who you work so closely to day by day, do not give you the guidance and help you need if in any way you’re underachieving at all, they don’t give you any notice about what it is you’re doing wrong or how you can improve. They even ask you what it is you can do to improve, but that is only because they have no idea themselves and want to feed it back to the managers, when it should be their job to give constructive criticism,
  more... guide, support and manage you so you can do your utmost best.

This is extremely poor practice and disgustingly unprofessional and the senior coordinators and managers and HR need to be trained in exactly how to support their employees instead of lazily ignoring anything that could be a problem and not caring about anyone but themselves.

The salary is also poor for the requirements you need to get the job and for the amount of work load you have. Over full time hours and late nights, and the amount of pressure and degree of accuracy you have to have for the work and for 16k is simply not enough.

The one thing I did appreciate about fragomen were the couple of people on my team and others in the office who were lovely and hardworking and deserve a lot more than working here.
Pros
A couple of people on my team and more in the office, the monthly drinks nights
Cons
Unsupportive, poorly paid, misleading, unfair, uncaring, unprofessional
It's ok
Assistant Paralegal I (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 2000526 September 2018
Fragomen is a good place to work if you don't mind doing the same thing over and over again, day in and day out. There is plenty of overtime available.

Management doesn't really listen to the people who actually do the work and would rather implement what they "think" is best.
Also, they'd rather hire new employees instead of promoting and cross-training the ones that they have. This place is a revolving door.

The culture is very diverse and you meet lots of new people from all walks of life.
med
Pros
Diverse atmosphere, free breakfast on Mondays and free lunch on Fridays
Cons
Low retention rate. Mediocre pay
Horrible Job post college
ASSISTANT Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NY23 September 2018
Besides the company completely abusing temps and exploiting them for months for very cheap labor, this job was so unbelievably boring and mundane that It made my life miserable for a few months. Unless you literally want to be a corporate immigration attorney (which I dont know why you would---many of the attorneys have told me they regretted their decision) dont work here!!
poor mnagement
On-Site Immigration Specialist at BlackRock (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DE18 September 2018
was placed at client site so remote from rest of team. they weren't sure of my role for 2 months and commute was too long from Philadelphia to Wilmington, Delaware
Pros
salary, advancement
Cons
poor culture
Paper Pushing
Assistant Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA6 September 2018
Corporate immigration, no matter where it's done, is glorified paper pushing. The job is tied to applications, and is susceptible to politics, as VISAs are currently being lowered, causing to business loss for this entity. The day-to-day is paper pushing, collecting documents and filling out forms.
Super fun place to work, very bad work/life balance
Assistant Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA31 August 2018
There are three teams at this Fragomen location. The largest team seems to be run in decent manner although many paralegals are overwhelmed. The mid-sized team seems to be doing very well. The smallest team seems to be very hectic and does not seem like there is any work life balance on that one. The management does not really make sense. They tend to not work very hard to retain paralegals and end up with an obscenely high turn-over rate for Assistant Paralegals, which are the backbone of the office.

Aside from this, It is a great first year for someone right out of college or a great first year of experience in immigration law. You will carry cases from start to finish and do a lot of work that attorneys should probably be doing. You will learn A LOT. They hire a lot of really fun people and personality fit seems to be a huge determining factor in the hiring process. Best if you are good with people/outgoing and confident.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Work/life balance, inflexible schedule
Extremely high workload
Assistant Paralegal II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA29 August 2018
This position required heavily on the ability to manage your own daily workloads. Management was not a positive aspect with this position, however, the autonomy granted to individual paralegals was a plus.
Not a Bad Job but the Management Needs Improvement
Immigration Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA14 August 2018
You do learn a lot about immigration law and structure in this position, however management is extremely biased. Promotions are based on time spent at the company rather than on merit. The work-life balance also needs work. There is a culture of skewing the work rather than distributing evenly.
Pros
Free Bagels
Cons
Overworked and poor distribution of existing work
Glorified Data Entry Clerk
Assistant Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ2 August 2018
A typical day is monitoring emails for client support documents, uploading documents to case files in the system, preparing high volume petitions, filing high volume petitions in your small cube. The office is located in an older building so there are ongoing heating, A/C, water, and electrical issues. During cap season you work overtime and it can be very stressful as you are expected to meet quotas and deadlines. There is very little human interaction and the job is very robotic. I had really bad eye strain from working at this job because I literally stared at a computer screen 8 hours a day. Most of the workers are college grads that leave after a year- so there is high turnover. The pay was on the low end and benefits were basic. Not many perks working here. I don't think this is a good job long term since its just a glorified data entry clerk. Also, the assistant paralegals, paralegals, and senior paralegals basically all do the SAME job- you just get a new title if you actually stay here long term. The attorneys at the team meetings always try to glorify our data entry job telling us that we are changing people's lives and bringing skilled foreign nationals and their families across the world. Interesting thing, they are now outsourcing more jobs to one of their biggest offices in India. I am not sure if they are trying to maximize profits or they cannot find workers in the US.
Pros
Paycheck and some great people working there
Cons
Boring job, low pay and benefits
A review
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA31 July 2018
A typical day consist of grinding out client needs.

Management is very focused on expanding the company, to a fault where the technology and office policies are very out of date.

Workplace culture is bland. Think Office Space but in 2018 and a law firm. Things like standing desk, open work spaces, and daily free meals are non-existent. Office budget is notoriously low.

The hardest part of the job is the sheer volume of work. The number of clients increases every year and employees are expected to work long hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new skills and affording health care!
Pros
Work day goes by fast due to constantly being busy
Cons
Very little work/life balance, underwhelming salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy. Our community is ready to answer.