Fortis BC

Fortis BC Employee Reviews in Surrey, BC

Coming from a different background, it took a bit of time to understand some of the work environment features but, over all a lot was learned and probably could have taken more time to learn more about the organization. Valuable learning experience.
A company that looks really great on your resume, but definitely lacking in some very crucial areas. Most co-workers are nice and are doing their best with a very dated company structure and culture. The cliques have already been established, and the lifers are fine sitting around all day chatting, eating snacks, and taking extra-long lunches, until they get to retire with their big pensions.Despite being an environmentalist at heart, it looked like a great chance to gain some valuable skills and I assumed as a large, well-known company they would be amazing to work for. When people are away or it gets extremely busy, it's the only time you feel valued; you're involved in all the meetings, contributing to their successes and praised for your hard work...until you're no longer urgently needed. Sometimes you get invited to team-building and fun department events, other times only the "real" employees attend. I've actually been UNINVITED to an event once, because they forgot I wasn't full-time. After speaking to others, there was no real reason why I shouldn't have attended other than they probably didn't want to pay for my time (as it was a very general topic). You are told that there is an opportunity to expand to part-time and maybe eventually full-time, but after they suck you in, you start to realize that it'll never happen.The project planning was very disorganized and not planned ahead of time, even by one week...so you can never plan any other contract work, projects, or appointments. They make you come in 3 days a week to work for only an hour, when it could've been - more...
Pros
Good cafeteria, office is nice from the outside, free parking, pay was ok (as I wasn't limited to their 5 level structure)
Cons
They treat contractors badly, office is dated looking from the inside and confusing to navigate, and you feel guilty working here as an environmentalist.
It was a good place to work. I had many different opportunities over the 25 years that I worked there. People can have several different careers if they choose to do that.
Good work life balance but some of the work given is less engineering related and more like a supply chain. Each person on a team works on the same thing consistently and passes it on to the next.
Very poor culture...seems like many union employees are simply dragging themselves to work everyday to get one step closer to a nice pension. As a result, there is high levels of frustration resentment and a lack of ambition among the workforce. Myself, I never received any formal feedback session even though I requested it multiple times. The Surrey office is located so far out in Surrey it's almost in farmland...very difficult to get to unless you live in the immediate area. Office location, combined with a general lack of enthusiasm in the workforce has me wondering what HR and leadership will do to attract and retain young talent.
Pros
Pay, great work/life balance
Cons
Culture, office location
The employees are friendly and easy to work with . The work-life balance is great, and stress-free working environment. I Really enjoyed working there.
A reasonable place to work with great security, but sub-market pay for professionals. Management cares about individuals and work-life balance is respected. However, non-trades positions are put into 5 salary bands and pretty much everyone is in the 3rd band. As a result, professional positions such as engineers, business professionals and accountants are paid about 20-30% lower than the BC median. For instance, a 10 year professional engineer would make about $80k, where their peers would make around $100,000 for a similar position. There is no possibility for salary negotiation. As a result, I've observed many departures in the past 2-3 years and difficulties hiring top talent. Similarly, job culture is stuck in the 90s - it's fine, but lags behind peers such as BC Hydro, Telus, but perhaps still ahead of government.
Pros
Security, management
Cons
Compensation
fun place to work and develop and grow as an individual and to be a part of a talented group of people room for growth and advancement where one can learn
Pros
team
Cons
hours
Interesting technology. For the most part, co-workers are pleasant. A lot of freedom given to solve problems. If you're willing to listen, there are some very intelligent people here. Salary has stagnated, however the benefits package is pretty good.
Will pay for schooling as long as it can be applied in the workplace. Excellent Benefits. Great vacation time. A lot of room for advancement. Many different locations throughout BC, Alberta.
they used to be a great place to work! extra curricular activities, lunches.. they believed in keeping employees happy.. but now restructuring and reorganizations have changed that and it is slowly becoming less than it once was
I love my co-workers. The job culture here is so great. Everyone looks out for one another. Work schedules are flexible. I've gained so much valuable work experience.
Over time, the company has increasingly been operating pretty lean. All aspects (work/life balance, salary increases, job security, etc) have been suffering.
Pros
5 weeks vacation
Cons
So much work that you have a very difficult time using that vacation
Good place to work. Lots of time off and flexible for vacation etc. Laid back work environment, some people have a bad attitude.
Challenging environment with encouraging management. Happy employees with great pay-scales.
Even though FortisBC employees are part of the Cope Union it gives you a false sense of security. The probationary period is not the standard 3 months and is based on the 1st 1200 hours of continuous employment. For someone who is part time working 20 hours per week it would take years to complete. I was let go one week before passing my probation. I never called in sick and was never late for work. I was never told I did anything wrong. They do not need a reason to let you go. The salary and benefits are much better than industry standards but you cannot have a mind of your own. You have to learn quickly to adapt and form cliques or more senior employees who don't share your enthusiasm will bad mouth you to everyone and move you out! There are not many opportunities for advancement and when an opportunity comes up and even if you are the most qualified applicant it is given to someone who has 2 minutes seniority over you. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customers and solving any problems that they had.
Pros
free gym facilities. excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
lousy union contract. probationary period too long, they don't need a reason to fire you.
Research new and existing biogas upgrading technologiesManage current and upcoming projectsManagement always ready to listen to and adopt new ideasGreat working environment
Pros
diversified functions, never boring