Fortis BC

Fortis BC Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

A good working experience overall Structured environment. Great room for advancement and growth. Current technology. Flexible work hours. Excellent benefits
FortisBC was a great place to work. In Kelowna the office and team had a really relaxed environment. People and management were friendly and helpful when starting out.
Worked daily, on all associated equipment, required for the purpose of distribution, and control, for public, business, manufacturing, and high voltage transmission equipment. Worked 5 yrs, on equipment maintenance, and 17 years for construction division upgrading existing Distribution substations, and ground up,construction of new power stations. Educated, and trained thoroughly in all aspects of safety techniques, along with protective clothing, tools, and procedures. Became familiar with the workings and practices of other crews working on, or near the same systems as to safety. Was kept up on all WCB safety issues and procedures, and given tools and all clothing required.
Excellent workplace, with lots of experienced people to learn from; Flexible administration, great work/life balance, community involvement, advanced technologies.
Work Environment is average, typical 9-5 work day and found that the balance wasn't bad. Management really depends on where you are positioned. Job Security is not there unless you have put in 10 plus years and advancement is next to impossible.
Fortis has great benefits and work hours. They offer competitive wages and ensure a safe work environment in anything you do. Everyone i've had the pleasure of working with has been exceptionally friendly and helpful.
This was one of the nicest places to work. Great coworkers, overall intelligent and understanding management that respected you and your opinions. The work can be somewhat overbearing at times, and the corporate office decision and changes were sometimes surprising and unexpected which was a bit frustrating, leaving us wondering about our job security. A lot of departmental rumours would always be the workplace gossip. The salary was good and bad. It depended on the union you were in. And with the constant union vs. the company fighting over the new collective agreements, strikes and benefit changes were always a possibility.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Lack of flexibility
Flexible start and finish times Lots of opportunity for self directed work Management was accessible to all levels of staff Lots of free lunches Lunch-and-learn sessions we excellent educational opprtunities
The best part of working with Fortis was my interaction with my field and operations team. I supported them with all the safety, compliance and regulated training programs along with daily HR coach/counsel for industrial relations and performance management. The down to earth tradesmen of this gas and electric utility industry made my day real, original and helped keep me grounded in the core business. I thrived on the ability to make a positive difference as I supported my leadership team at Fortis.
Pros
Changing environment with lots of opportunities for creative and autonomous work.
Cons
As the company grew, it sometimes became difficult to stay connected with all the leadership regularly.