Fortis BC
Fortis BC Employee Review

Decent pay but culture lacking

13 June 2019
Very poor culture...seems like many union employees are simply dragging themselves to work everyday to get one step closer to a nice pension. As a result, there is high levels of frustration resentment and a lack of ambition among the workforce. Myself, I never received any formal feedback session even though I requested it multiple times. The Surrey office is located so far out in Surrey it's almost in farmland...very difficult to get to unless you live in the immediate area. Office location, combined with a general lack of enthusiasm in the workforce has me wondering what HR and leadership will do to attract and retain young talent.
3.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Pay, great work/life balance
Cons
Culture, office location
6 October 2020
Same roleSame location
Communications (Former Employee) - Surrey, BC
A company that looks really great on your resume, but definitely lacking in some very crucial areas. Most co-workers are nice and are doing their best with a very dated company structure and culture. The cliques have already been established, and the lifers are fine sitting around all day chatting, eating snacks, and taking extra-long lunches, until they get to retire with their big pensions.Despite being an environmentalist at heart, it looked like a great chance to gain some valuable skills and I assumed as a large, well-known company they would be amazing to work for. When people are away or it gets extremely busy, it's the only time you feel valued; you're involved in all the meetings, contributing to their successes and praised for your hard work...until you're no longer urgently needed. Sometimes you get invited to team-building and fun department events, other times only the "real" employees attend. I've actually been UNINVITED to an event once, because they forgot I wasn't full-time. After speaking to others, there was no real reason why I shouldn't have attended other than they probably didn't want to pay for my time (as it was a very general topic). You are told that there is an opportunity to expand to part-time and maybe eventually full-time, but after they suck you in, you start to realize that it'll never happen.The project planning was very disorganized and not planned ahead of time, even by one week...so you can never plan any other contract work, projects, or appointments. They make you come in 3 days a week to work for only an hour, when it could've been - more...
Pros
Good cafeteria, office is nice from the outside, free parking, pay was ok (as I wasn't limited to their 5 level structure)
Cons
They treat contractors badly, office is dated looking from the inside and confusing to navigate, and you feel guilty working here as an environmentalist.
16 March 2020
Same location
Time Entry Clerk (Former Employee) - Surrey, BC
Coming from a different background, it took a bit of time to understand some of the work environment features but, over all a lot was learned and probably could have taken more time to learn more about the organization. Valuable learning experience.
28 February 2020
Same location
Owner's in-field Representative (Former Employee) - Surrey, BC
It was a good place to work. I had many different opportunities over the 25 years that I worked there. People can have several different careers if they choose to do that.
  1. Decent pay but culture lacking