Fortinos Employee Reviews

Fun environment
DELI WORKER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 November 2018
The customers are all nice, especially the staff and management. I always feel welcomed when I show up for my shift, or even if I just come to visit. I really like the people there, it makes it a better atmosphere.
First Job
HOT FOODS CLERK (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON2 November 2018
Great for a job but not much else. They dont pay much and management always like to be macho for some strange reason. Like i said great for a first job.
can be be fun
Dry Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2018
It is a good place to work but you need to watch your back lot of back stabbing and gossip in the work place. If you can stay away from that stuff it's a good work place.
Negative workplace culture
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2018
Fortinos is a great place to shop, however, working there means tolerating incompetent management, or else, losing your hours. Nepotism is definitely a "thing" at my location, which negatively effects advancement opportunities for everyone. Managers spend more time gossiping and complaining than training and interacting with their employees. This is a union job, however, part-timers don't see any benifits for years, and, part-time opportunities are not required to be posted, meaning that managers can pick their favorites, and, they do. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customers happy, and, developing new skills.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Negative workplace culture
First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2018
This was my first job, it was great to start off with. Very organized, my team was great, met amazing people. Very friendly staff, Great work culture, close knit team.
Pros
Close knit team
nothing special
Health & Beauty Clerk (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON24 October 2018
worked here when I was in high school during the summer and it's okay. had to close and clean, very tedious job. only 1 person in this department per shift.
workplace summary
Pizza Maker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 October 2018
company not run very well no one knew what the other one was doing employs and so of the lower head staff were not happy and the benefits where bad to get more benefits had to work for 2 yrs and if your part time they didnt take out taxes
Nothing too exciting
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 October 2018
I worked as a cashier at Fortinos. I had worked at other jobs previously where I had 12 hours shifts and they felt shorter than my 5-hour shifts at Fortinos. I learned that there can be really rude customers but that could be at any job. One thing is that you need to be a people person to work cash or you won't be able to handle it. The management was okay. I never really had a problem with them they just never had a smile on their faces. The workplace is casual. The hardest part of the job was remembering the codes (it took me a few months to memorize them). The most enjoyable part was the benefits and being covered with a lot of things.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally
Cons
The hours feel long
fun and productive working environment
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 October 2018
Fortinos is a great place to pursue a career in retail service. Very high standards from the management team and if you have a passion for people, service, and food this is a great place work. hard honest work is rewarded with advancement.

Typical Day:
Since I mostly worked day & closing shifts, I got to become very familiar with how the work setting becomes during specific times. It mostly starts with making sure everything is stocked up and displayed in a clean way, then it's just a matter of completing tasks so the next morning can run smoothly. The job always keeps me productive and constantly completing tasks, which I find help me further my skill set greatly.
Pros
clean and friendly environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 October 2018
This location front end/cashier department had terrible management. One of the three managers played favouritism, another was incredibly rude and constantly belittles her employees. The schedule was never on time, which was very frustrating; sometimes the schedule would come out as late as Friday for the following week. One of the managers did not know how to keep it professional, she was always getting overly emotional and taking everything to heart. Another had a hard time remembering names and faces despite being there for three years. There was way too much drama for a grocery store.
Great Workplace
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
Fortinos is a great place to pursue a career in retail service. Very high standards from the management team and if you have a passion for people, service and food this is a great place work. hard honest work is rewarded with advancement.
Excellent place to work
Deli Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 September 2018
Fortinos is a wonderful place to work. Unionized as well as the work environment itself is awesome makes this an excellent place to work. Family owned and once you're part of the team you too can be part of the family.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Standing all shift
Enjoyed working with staff and for customers
Baurrista (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 September 2018
I enjoyed learning how to make different type of drinks, food and serving customers. It was a referring day everyday for me. One thing i must say i was not pleased with my manager for the department i was working in she was very unprofessional resulting me to leave.
Productive and skill building workplace
Café Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 September 2018
Typical Day:
Since I mostly worked day & closing shifts, I got to become very familiar with how the work setting becomes during specific times. It mostly starts with making sure everything is stocked up and displayed in a clean way, then it's just a matter of completing tasks so the next morning can run smoothly. The job always keeps me productive and constantly completing tasks, which I find helped me further my skill set greatly.
Pros
Great first job experience, tons of customer interaction which further improved my interpersonal skills
Cons
Ok to work at if you are in school
Assistant Manager to the Café department (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 August 2018
The place it self is ok to work at if you are in school or looking for a part time. The management is very uptight and always stressing out. Mix of culture.
best job ive had yet
clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 August 2018
my time at fortinos was great!

your co-workers are the nicest ive ever come across and my manager was like family

in my time at fortinos I have made some life long relationships so much so that I still go back and visit quite often

I worked majority hot foods department so my workload consisted of:
mild heavy lifting, stocking the fridge, preparing roast chickens and salads, cooking with the fryer as well as serving customers and working cash.

the hardest part of this job would be taking the roast chickens out of the oven besides that its an excellent job!
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
heavy lifing
Baker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 August 2018
Some work days were busy and others not so much.
I asked for full time hours I got those for a few weeks then switched me to part-time hours without my consent and didn't workout for me as I am looking for full-time work so I am able to get back to school and support myself.
fun place
Lot attendant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 August 2018
I worked at Fortino's for only a few months. I was a lot attendant. I was working in the winter, in the snow so it was very challenging. I like the people I worked with, but would have liked to have more interaction with customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
working in the snow
Decent place to work at. Random shifts
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Highway 10 & Bovaird15 August 2018
As a bakery clerk my main job was to prep for the next day so I panned up pastries, croissants, muffins etc. The job was really easy and repetitive so I usually finished before my shift ended. Often managers would come last minute and give me a job to do which was annoying.

Asked for more hours and never got it. Typically worked 4-5 hour shifts which I disliked. Managers really just did their own thing and the closing shifts always slacked off so we had to pick up for them. It was just embarrassing.

Managers would also expect you to do a job out of your position if you had the skills for it but not pay you for said position.

The coworkers were great though. Very nice.
Pros
Early morning shifts. Coworkers
Cons
No discounts. Short staffed
Great first job
Carvery worker (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON10 August 2018
Fotinos was a great first job for me. The management can be sometimes rude and unfair. Prepare to work hard and clean lots. The hours are very promising if you are a good employee and get breaks and lunches.
Pros
people
Cons
time