Fortinos

Fortinos Employee Reviews

Canada646 reviews
Beginner Workplace Suitable for Students
Fortinos is an excellent grocery store that has ample opportunities for students. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed for both employees and shoppers. Students will learn various skills in each department and will continue to be supported by staff and management.
I was not a good fit for this job.
Job involved working outside, retrieving shopping carts and returning them to the side of the store.

It was not a good fit for me with me being rather out of shape at the time. Working for several hours with the summer heat blaring down on me, and the constant amount I'd have to get carts without a pause due to it being a rather busy Fortinos, meant physically and mentally it was very draining. I only did the job a couple weeks before I was let go. It was the wrong position for me.
Badly managed, short-staffed, and stressful
Management played favourites. Valid complaints were ignored. Employees all feel overworked all the time. Miserable, stressful place to work. I also know two others who worked at the same location who personally expressed similar complaints to me. Including allegations of inappropriate workplace behaviour.
If I could give zero rating for management I would
Got told by the assistant manager that since her husband and kids were black she knew what it was like to experience black struggles. Therefore, she felt that it was okay to invalidate my experience and perspectives because she felt that I was using the race card. I have never seen someone of such a profession say such an uneducated and ignorant statement. I would not recommend anyone to work at this location because they do not know how to handle sensitive matters and they will leave you feeling like the bad person even when they are at fault. They do not care to do what is right and would rather point fingers and blame rather than be understanding.
Rude staff and mangers
No matter how good and hard you work, you will never be respected. Places like theses just throw you aside when they don’t need you and expect you to come crawling back when they need help.
Best place for flexible hours and for students, abusive managers
Depending on the department, you are either getting the best job or the worst job. In general, fortinos is pretty flexible for hours and students are able to switch shifts easily. Yet the management in different departments can be downright abusive and force students to work until 11pm or later in order to be a tiny bit more clean, even when the department would look fine to a regular customer. Night shifts always pick up the full time day shift slack which makes the 11pm shift ends a slap on the face.
Pros
Flexible hours, very hard to get fired
Cons
bad management
Cool place to work with lots of other people from all ages
When working a part-time job at Fortinos, you should expect anywhere from 10 - 25 hours. The least amount of hours you can work in one shift is four and most is 8.5. It's a good place to work as a student or if you need to make some extra money.
Was the main cause of my depression and anxiety
The assistant store manager was horrible, I would get yelled at for not having enough items on display when there would be nothing for me to put out. He would go around changing things that did not make sense adding to our list. Tried to force a full timer from another department to work seafood but they refused so he cut back their hours. Was always high throughout his shift. Talked down on the women, was extremely disrespectful and objectified them
Fun place to work. Great environment.
Working at Fortinos taught me a lot. It was one of the first jobs I had and I learned how to deal with different types of people. I made a lot of friends too. The management was great too.
A good place for a first job
Fortinos deli clerk was my first real job as a teenager. My manager at the Waterdown location was friendly, understanding, and made the experience more enjoyable!
Deli Clerk
A lot to do on the daily, Serving customers and stocking and doing orders and making sure the department is clean I would highly recommend this place for a part-timer going to school.
Fun
It was a good job experience, provided me with good customer service experience and very flexible hours. Management was always supportive and understanding.
Pros
Good Hours
Meh
Work was boring, repetitive, no skill development though.
Sense of community was lost over time.

Benefits were good.

Great for students but that's bout it.
Not the best place to work but not bad for a first job
Managers need to be trained better and I felt as if there was no real attention to detail like rotating produce and also there are many stubborn old people
Pros
Cons
Managment
Meat Clerk duties
Typically went in, helped the meat cutters, packaged meats and stocked the meat counters. Faced the counters (Ensured all the meat and products were placed nicely for customers). Answered customers questions, helped and assisted them. Cleaning the workplace and for closing procedures.
Fortinos is a busy place to work in, you will always be doing "something." I enjoyed working with peers of my own age or similar age.
Fairly stressful environment
They ask too much out of employees, especially management. Everyone is overworked, much of the staff is under-compensated. Managers are visibly stressed and that effects every other worker down the line. A lot of the tasks seem like make work projects.
Fun place to work especially if you like who you are working with or if you are working with a friend.
Fortinos is a great place to work if you need lots of hours. They also value working with trainees and the hardest part of the job most likely would be washing dishes.
It was a good job, nice work environment.
They were very good to work with, you the work environment was very nice to be in and everyone was very helpful during my time. I think Fortinos is a fine place to work at.
Horrible workplace/lots of abuse
I was bullied and sexually harassed physically, mentally, and emotionally during my five years as a front end cashier. I believe my old comments were deleted. However, do not work here. They will use you as slaves.
Pros
No pros unless you want to be sexually harassed.
Cons
Many cons. Not worth it. You all have potential; remember that!
Poor store management
From the beginning of working three years at this location there has been a large turnover of employees, and a lack of respect from management. Would not recommend.
Pros
Good people to work with on the floor
Cons
No real chance for advancement due to lack of full-time positions
Good work place
Good environment. Needs more organizing on how information its pasted down. Very understanding people with exam or vacation. Good at training staff. Not so help full with knowing what happens with T4's.