Fort Mckay Group of Companies LP
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Working at Fort Mckay Group of Companies LP: Latest Fort Mckay Group of Companies LP Reviews

Canada116 reviews

fortsafetyequipmentsitelongshiftopportunityworker

Enjoyable place to work and learn new skills

My work experience there was enjoyable and I learned to operate some equipment as well. I was given a chance to lead and be an encouragement to the workers.

Pros

Acomadation provided pay fair salary

Cons

Should give more payable training to learn to operate heavy machinery

Intense and stressful

The management on the Suncor are their own beast. Making up their own rules, constantly badgering and belittling people, absolutely UNREAL expectations. One doesn't care about issues that are brought up and the other is always to the extreme. For a pretty laid back job scope the management make is a miserable and unhappy place to work

Insights into Fort Mckay Group of Companies LP

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor work culture

You only advance if you are favoured. No raises given EVER and no chance of getting one. Job is dead end with no where to move up. There is also no possibility of a raise which is u fortunate with the cost of living rising.

Pros

Shift is great

Cons

No accountability

Fun workplace

No permanent positions you should be willing to step in any job scope from Snow / vegetation removal to the Shovel pad at the mine of which there is minimum safety.

Good luck getting the raise they promised you.

Pay is really bad and they don’t care if you go above and beyond they will just take advantage of you. They hire management based on ethnicity rather than qualifications so it’s a real clown show. Don’t waste your time

Ill-equipped management

supervisors with no real management training, lack the skillset to manage employees properly. Many don't have basic computer skills or soft skills only industry knowledge.

Wish it was 14-7 then woulda been worth it for me

Good place to work just not enough money to pay bills on 7 and 7 shifts only bad thing I can say had a great Crew and good team leads just not enough money for family

Pros

Flights, camp, good experience

Cons

7 and 7 shifts no money to be made

The workforce is awesome, Management is stuck

Most people in management haven't moved in years. The company refuses to take heed of their employees issues/suggestions as they lack true vision for growth. Most of the management just deflect issues and do as little as possible just to collect the pay cheque. The front line employees are great people who take pride in their work. Most will agree that they are frustrated with management and the lack of action on any issues.

Pros

Front line workers

Cons

Fun job with some awesome people

I worked with fort McKay at suncor on a snow removal contract as a labourer/operator (was operating front end loaders and skid steers about 80% of the time unless the equipment was broken down). I loved working with this company. Met some great lifetime friends and had a blast. I didn’t have issues with anyone I worked with aside from the one or two bad apples who I didn’t get along with, but that can’t be always blamed on the company. It was a fun workplace with lots of room for advancement. I also worked in the mine ops department and the rentals department and was offered a full time job in two different departments, but unfortunately it wasn’t in the cards for me at the time. However I had a very hard time saying no as it was an excellent, secure job with some good people and good opportunities. The only cons I had with this company was some of the middle management and a certain foreman were a bit shady and not very easy to get along with at times, but for how often you had to deal with these people it was very manageable. Also for labourers a lot of time is spent outside in the cold, however as I moved quickly into an operator position this wasn’t an issue for very long.

Pros

Advancement opportunities, great crew, fun and rewarding work, overtime opportunities for those interested

Cons

Some of the management and a foreman or two, working outside in the cold a lot

Good crew and good company to work with

Had fun while working here, met alot of good people. Only thing I had trouble was getting on haul truck I was promised to drive within the first year working there but I worked as labourer for two years and still didn't get to operate even though I know how to operate various types of equipment.

Pros

Good hours, good crew, great company

Cons

Being stuck at the same position, no advancement.

Poor management

I'm just talking about Alcor bus department... very poor management, lack of respect for their drivers.It's take it or leave it attitude work environment Every week new employees quitting; at same week hiring

Awesome place to work if you didn't have to deal with management

Management treated workers with little to no respect, consistently threaten loss of job or why they wouldn't need you.Unless you were buddy buddy some of them you couldn't do one thing wrong. Most leaders were great very helpful especially if you had a couple things you need to deal with. Whether it was medical or family related.

Pros

Awesome Christmas party

Cons

Poor excuse for managers

Respect for safety and coworkers was a given

For the almost two years I worked with FMGC, I had total respect for the company and from the company. All the people from coworkers to office staff were friendly,respectful and helpful in every way.

Pros

Christmas party was amazing!

Cons

Long hours if I have to say anything

Excellent working environment

I worked with Strategic Services at CNRL Albian Sands ~ Jackpine mine We were fusing HDPE 10" pipe to establish a watering drainage system . We all worked well together and managed to complete the project ahead of schedule. As far as I could tell from my stand point, the people at CNRL were satisfied with our work.

Pros

Great Group of coworkers

Cons

We were always in the field, didn't really follow a set schedule with regards to regular coffee & lunch breaks.

Great working environment with good colleagues

This was a great company to work for and I personally would work for them again, the workers I was with were very friendly and made the learning process of my job much easier.

Pros

the work was very fun

Cons

Job stability

Shocker

Being the shocker , I was prevented from being a contender After a few days of having 15 loads a day . Ultimately I felt I was purposely held back from achieving my best .

Pros

The shocker.

Cons

All the rest .

Great people, welcoming atmosphere, opportunity for growth.

Really enjoyed my time with Fort McKay Group. I was a stand out based on work ethic. This provided me opportunity for more work. The atmosphere was positive and I looked forward to work each day. I got the call when extra work was available. It was a real mutual benefit. I learned and progressed through my roles with the luxury of a variety of work.

Pros

Exciting opportunities and great atmosphere

Cons

Not permanent work potential to lose contracts or laid off

Great place

Excellent job good growth good training great teamleads great management would recommend applying .......................................... ............

Pros

Excellent growth in progress

Cons

Hours suck at the moment

productive environment

I was never not busy at this job, always had something to do which I loved. the long hours were not even bad 12 hour shifts went by pretty quick on good days.

Not a bad place to work

Pretty good place to work if you just want a job to make a living. So long as you get your work done properly and safely, they'll generally leave you alone.

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work. very helpful people. calm and controlled environment. great training. follows safety protocols. never a boring day as you gets moved all around the mine. treated equally to syncrude members

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fort Mckay Group of Companies LP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement