Fort McKay Alcor
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

Fort McKay Alcor Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews

Great management

FMA is a great place to work at. Nice group of people with a great General foreman at the helm. They never rush their employees, treat everyone with respect and good starting salary.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Holiday hours aren’t paid right

Great employees poor management

Unfortunately managers shame and blame employees in front of their peers. Nothing nice is ever said, and most meetings are started with scorn instead of praise. Negative work culture from top down, except for dispatchers. Feed back is not welcomed when it comes to making the organization a better more efficient work place. There is no recognition for doing a good job or going above and beyond of what is expected. Best to be a quiet sheet and go along to get along. Work place gossip and confidential information can be overheard from the dispatch office.

Insights into Fort McKay Alcor

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

No raise or pension or incentive to continue to enjoy your job

I loved what I did at this company.I just think management wasn’t at all good and salary does not help with the cost of living .they don’t try to fix problems,there problem solving is demoted you ar time off .this is what I mean by people skills .Do extra training at least give u a chance to fix your problem before demoting .

Nepotism at its finest

Your Trade ticket doesn’t mean anything to them You are replaceable They rather pay a labour to do your job Low pay and no more RRSPsMake more money working in townBlackballed

Great group of guys and management

I worked here for years and enjoyed my time with them. I learn lots and was able move up within the company. They were fair and kind to the workers!!

Good training, helpful co-workers. Good work environment

Chance for improvement, good schedule, many opportunities to train/ crosstrain, uniforms provided. Very nice occommodations. 1 week in camp/ work , 1 week off

Pros

Good pay, good work conditions

Cons

Camp so away from home

The best company i work

Scl of fort mckay alcor is the best. He listen to the workers concern.. but strt from the supervisor and a foreman they wont listen to your concern when they decide for a crew to do something, without enough notice like change of shift work and location. it was like you have no choice take it or leave it. They dont understand that some of us has a small kids to consider. So in a safely work related it affect us.

Bus Driver

overall my experienced with this company was excellent my trainor was very helpful and if you have any question regarding on what you are doing they are there to assist you.during my training they let me know their expectation to be successful on the company. overall the company is goodplace to start the pay is very well unfortunately i have to leave the job due to family reason

Pros

GoodWage routine work

Cons

split shift from early morning to late evening

Nepotism at its finest

If you want to succeed at FMA, don't be good at your job. If you aren't kissing up to the management, you won't go anywhere. The bosses step-son can fail urine tests, and they just move him from site to site to keep him employed. Soon they won't have any sites left he can work on. They say they care about safety, yet people that bring up safety issues seem to get let go soon after. Revolving door company.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

Disorganized management full of nepotism.

Good Colleagues

This job is a typical bus driving at the oil sand site. It is Easy and Routine, Split as well. The company is aboriginal and no pension. Need to improve management

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fort McKay Alcor?

Poor training, favoritism

I was promised progressive discipline but the management is petty and moved everything to written final warnings. I wrote 30 pages in my journal on the unfairness. It was my worst job and If you're a tall white guy id definently not recommend.

Pros

Pay, work

Cons

Management, poor training, no coaching, nepotism

Stong Company looking to advance its portfolio in excellent service

I enjoyed working for this company and only left for family reasons. Given the opportunity I would return to receive further employment. I would like to start a career as a carpenter with this company

Clean Buses

Job Good, Paid Fair. take care employees good. Only problems are peoples, who running show there are worse. Lots of Favoritism, treating other workers like slaves. All the time shows their bad attitudes.

Pros

Good paid

Cons

Not enough hours

Good Pace to work

I started working there when it was a smaller company. It grew and there was solid advancement and I learned a lot. I would recommend working here to other people.

Great place to work and learn with co workers

Was a week on week off job.worked 84 hours in 7 days .Days flew bye company kept me busy.I learn that the oil sands is bye far the best job that I had.Hardest part of the job was the first day back.

good place to work

good place to work, good people and safety department. future up and coming company i worked with them for 6 months wouldn't of left but i found a position in town and was the right move at the time.

New and never leaving

Bus rides are short, food is the best. Coworkers are better than “great” and overall, for a east coaster yes it’s a far journey but the overall experience has been a blast and will continue to stay as long as they keep me

Pros

Food, crew, equipment/supplies

Cons

None yet

good place to work

Lots of traveling to and from site pay is not the best no pension split shifts are hard on a persons system people are great to work wit enjoy talking to the other workers on site

Poorly run by management.

Place is run by carpenters, hard to deal with the sub-trades. Everything is done with no other trades in mind. Promotions are to carpenters only, kind of like a good old boys club.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long rides to work by bus.

i like this job

I miss this job i would go back if i was able to. the task were easy. the team was a good team to work wiht the manage ment was awesome

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fort McKay Alcor. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement