Fort Garry Industries Employee Reviews

Really enjoyed the staff there.
RECEPTIONIST / ACCOUNTS PAYABLE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2019
I enjoyed my time working for Fort Garry although there was a time that they had the worst manager ever running the office. He had small man syndrome that it made him feel good to yell at his staff in front of everyone.

My last two years where the best. We had a manager that actually listened to his staff and his door was always open.
Pros
Lots of pros
Cons
Can’t think of any.
great place to work
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2019
very good place to work learned a lot with the heavy duty industry
as well a better knowledge of a very fast pace industry enjoyed the challenge and loved the new experience
Disorganized and lacking foresight and understanding of their market
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta27 September 2018
Each location operates as its own entity with differing management styles. That is, branch managers can be either stingy or generous in their offerings to their employees. Management is always looking at inventory levels and may choose to stock out instead of carrying a part that has a long delivery time.

Technically, they are not skilled in areas that they should be, such as their hydraulic knowledge. They let skilled people go in favour of people that give "yes" answers instead of the hard truth. Counter staff are quite knowledgeable in certain areas, but huge gaps in knowledge exist and no one is able to fill that void, especially if those skilled employees have left or were dismissed.

When it comes to pricing, they would rather compete on price and not service and after sales support, so would always discount if the customer balked at a quoted price instead of espousing the merits of having a higher quality item.

They have great product lines and they're in a unique position to expand upon those lines, but choose to not chase those gold nuggets that await them, so I suspect they will lose market share due to their myopic sense of direction.

Good money to be made, but they can limit your income by not paying for items you represent and support.
Pros
Weekdays only with the occasional evening or weekend; profit sharing, but only after three years service where some companies offer after three months
Cons
Limit your income making ability, mixed messages between branch locations or incongruous direction, very white employee base
Order Picker/Shipper Receiver (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK10 September 2018
I Really Enjoy The Work And The People. I enjoy the fast paced environment. the Staff is usually very friendly. I Pretty Much like everything about the job
great workplace, accountability is great
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 July 2018
Great company, great people. Management is very strict in the back warehouse, overall though great environment. It works having only a 9 to 5 schedule monday to friday.
Learning Curve
Counter Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 July 2018
I started here as a warehouse driver back in 2006 3 months I was at the front counter. Never looked back since. Very good people to work for. Just needed to move on
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long days
Saskatoon management supportive to staff.
Inside Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 October 2017
I have been part of the Fort Garry team for 14 years. I loved coming to work, worked the hours I wanted, got annual raises. My only complaint is that supervisors give too many chances to staff who don't perform.
My story is I've had serious health problems the past three years. Management at head office and in Saskatoon have supported me every way possible. Allowing me to dialysis at work, shorting my hours in order to get radiation treatments, helping me recover by allowing me to go on short term disability.
Advice to all staff, be a loyal employee, show up every day and always do your best and Fort Garry will be a loyal and supportive employer.
If my health would allow it I would be happy to get back to work.
worst place i have ever worked
service department (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 September 2017
management does not keep promises, lies or misinforms employees. service is terrible if you have morals, corners are cut to make time lines and extra money. no communication from supervisors and when something goes wrong they use you as a scapegoat. pay is below average in area as well. I would advise all to stay clear of this company!
Pros
some great coworkers
Cons
so many!!
Didn't follow through on promises
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 September 2017
Very disorganized. Lots of promises of promotions and raises that were never delivered. Unhelpful staff, willing to cut corners mon quality of jobs to save mney
Good Job, Great Team
SHIPPER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB11 August 2017
Loved working with this team. Good atmosphere, plenty of fun on the job. Easy to come to work every day. I only left as a job opportunity came up that looked better on paper. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Late and Weekend shifts
Worst place I've ever worked
A nobody (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB6 June 2017
Management is a joke, having no managerial or leadership skills including yelling at staff in front of customers, public humiliation and embarrassing staff in front of customers as well as other staff. Revolving door of new employees as management does not know how to treat people with respect and dignity. This goes for the president as well who sweeps complaints and concerns under the rug and go unoticed. Would never reccomend this branch to anyone. Very toxic and unhappy environment.
Pros
You may luck out to work with some great people
Cons
Not safety conscious, rude and disrespectful management
good company poor management
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2017
worked for them for almost 7 years was promised advancement but management went back on their word. there is no team players everyone looks out for themselves
Pros
various shifts
Cons
no safety in place for employees subsandard equipment rude people
Good place to work good management
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKSaskatoon25 February 2017
Good company to work for lots of heavy lifting fast pace working with truck parts and accessories shop and everything on site
Nice shop and parts department
Tractor trailer mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2017
It was a very fun and educational environment to be apprenticing in. everyone from the sales people to the service department to parts to management are definatly in my top 10 for all around knowledge and execution of whatever it is that needs to be done.
Pros
Huge parts department and overhead crane in shop is always nice
Cons
none that is worth mentioning. really was a great place to work at.
Grande Prairie Branch
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB27 December 2016
The management at this place is ridiculous and they go through about 25 delivery drivers a year. They need to treat their employees better hands down.
Pros
The hours
Cons
The boss
Difficult job to try and learn
Receptionist #2 (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2016
It was a very fast paced company. Difficult to get other work done due to the phone ringing literally non stop. Not much training offered. Office was close to home at the time.
Good atmosphere with good employees and management.
Administrative Support and parts driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2016
Depending on position filling in for parts driver or administrative support, always found the job enjoyable and the other employees working as a team.
Due to economy, western canada branches have had a slowdown in part time help requirements.
Pros
Well Managed company reluctant to lay people off
Cons
Slowdown in economy not related to company performance
fun
Truck and Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2016
they are nice people and happy to work with them they teach you what to do if you ask them questions and they give you training every one of us
Pros
free lunch every last friday of the month
Not a friendly place
Partsman (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 October 2015
People are very angry most of the time, way to much sitting on there butts.
Seen way to much covering up of wrong parts and bad workman ship.
They do have a good Foreman and a couple mechanics, put i would never bring my truck or trailer to them. Or recommend them.
Selling truck parts
Aftermarket sales (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB8 September 2014
Great place, great coworkers. Offered many open houses to invite new customers and hire new employees.