FORM Employee Reviews

Delivering innovation. Owning your role. Growing your career.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 July 2019
This company is uniquely positioned in that the team at FORM are delivering a new product/innovation that has never been seen before and is truly disruptive for the market they are addressing.

To thrive at FORM, you have to be a self-starter, a problem solver, and a team player. It's a team made up of industry veterans mixed with fresh faces from complementary industries, while coops are given a great opportunity to be exposed to the fast-paced environment of life in a start-up.

You are firmly put in charge of your role and are encouraged to take risks and explore all avenues that will help drive success for the company. Everyone is friendly and welcoming and look to help each other to deliver the best possible product for customers.

It's a very dedicated and passionate team that works hard during the week, but also enjoy hanging out together on Friday afternoons for food and drink (which is catered weekly). While foosball tables and a pool table make for nice additions to the office and ensure people in different teams can bond through games.
Pros
Cool/genuinely innovative product. Fun team. Good health benefits.
One of the best startups to work for in Vancouver or even Canada
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2019
I come into work every day with a smile on my face. I don't think there was one day where I did not want to work. Great people, culture, office... Probably the best company/startup I've ever worked at.
Pros
Flex hours, free meal on Fridays, beer on tap, foosball tables, pool table, good downtown location
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fun environment working on cutting edge product
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2019
FORM is a great place to work! Everyone is laid back, friendly, and there are no office politics. The company is not like other startups where there's chaos and instead has a good balance of flexibility and structure. It's easy to strike up conversations with everyone, even people you don't normally work with.

If you're looking for a job where you do your 9-5 and clock out then FORM is not the right place for you. But if you're looking for a place where people are passionate about their role and the product and want to work in an exciting work environment, then FORM is great. Everyone pitches in when needed and goes above and beyond even if that means working extra hours here and there or answering an urgent email from home. That's what makes it fun.
Pros
Free food and drinks every Friday, new open concept office, parties and retreats, well funded startup
Fun new technology startup
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 June 2019
FORM is a fun place to work at because of the wide impact you can make and the many hats you get to wear.

If you're looking for a rewarding job then FORM is where you should be. Since they are a startup it comes with all the same cliche pros/cons list of any startup. What's different about FORM is how fast I have seen developers ramp up across all levels. From intern to mid-level, I have witnessed many new people getting hired and succeeding at their job because of the strong mentorship brought by the senior staff.

The most important thing to consider if you have accepted an offer is to focus on your communication skills. Similar to any job, it is difficult to make changes without vocalizing your issues in a constructive manner. From my experience when I vocalized my issues actions were always taken to make a positive change.

Again, FORM is a startup which comes with longer hours (nothing crazy, just honestly a bit longer) and less pay (but competitive with other startups).

I personally loved the people, company, and the culture but the only reason I left was because I was poached and received an offer I couldn't refuse.
Pros
Food once a week, coffee, alcohol, foosball, basketball, billiards table, open office, casual dress code
Cons
Longer hours, lower salary
One of the best startups to work for in Vancouver or even Canada
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 June 2019
Pros
Cons
Can't think of any.
Fantastic people, great company culture, amazing learning opportunity
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 June 2019
Working at FORM has been a blast! Creating new products is never easy and every day is full of fun challenges and great learning opportunities and I feel like I have learned so much and had lots of fun along the way.

Like many startups there is lots of freedom and autonomy that has allowed me to grow professionally and learn many new skills. Where FORM differs from many other startups is that it is full of people to learn from who are very experienced in their field and have done this before. If you're ever stuck on a problem, there is no shortage of smart people to get help from.

It might be trite to say, but the people at FORM really do make all the difference. The team is full of bright, fun people who are able to come together to do cool things. Show up with a positive attitude and you'll fit right in!

I would highly recommend working here to any one who is up for a challenge and who is passionate about making cool products!
Pros
New technologies, great teammates, cool product, beautiful modern office, free dinner and drinks on Friday.
Productive and Fun place with a Basketball Hoop, pool table and Snacks!
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 June 2019
Working at FORM has been a pleasure. In the past year I have learned alot, and picked up many new skills. Flexible hours and we have food every Fridays!
Pros
Free snacks, flexible hours and casual dress code
Gotta play the game
Developer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 June 2019
Pros: Free coffee and snacks, beer and food on Friday. Get to work on latest technology.

Cons: The management absolutely has priorities incorrect. There seems to be no structure or communication between the levels. When there is praise to be shared, the managers seem to pat themselves on the back, when there are delays, the managers seem to blame the lower ranks. The company also believes in asking employees to work over time and encourage weekends if they are behind schedule, without pay (unless you count a slice of pizza).

The company seems to have internal problems playing favoritism. They are not shy about excluding you socially and professionally if you are not "one of them" making it really hard to professionally grow within the company or be heard. They do not seem to hesitate to promote someone they favor but for everyone else will offer 0.5% yearly raise on an already under-paid position and call that fair.

The company's strategy seems to be to sucker in young blood with promises of working for a great progressive company that will treat you well and then dangle it in front of you until you realize it too late and leave at which point they will just replace you with the next young blood. I've seen too many colleagues leave in a similar manner. Stay far away.
Fantastic place to build or further a career in consumer tech
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 January 2019
FORM is working on something really exciting, and you can tell that the whole team is bought into the product. No two days look the same (as is typical for a startup), and you have to be proactive and flexible in doing work that doesn't always fall neatly within a JD. I loved working on complex and ambiguous problems, and it was very exciting to be building a brand and launch strategy entirely from scratch.

Strengths
- Strong leadership and great culture - you are friends with your coworkers and have a lot of fun together, but are also super productive and work very hard
- Big potential for the product. I know everyone likes to say this about themselves, but this team has experience from a successfully acquired company, and is targeting an objectively underserved yet lucrative market. The product is super cool and the reactions to the MVP (especially from SMEs and KOLs) have been extremely positive.

Weaknesses
- When I was there, FORM was still a pre-revenue startup so salary was definitely not at the high end, but they try their best to be competitive with the market and value top talent. No benefits at the time, but opportunity for stock options for higher level positions.
- Many of the leadership team came from Recon/Intel, so there was sometimes a bias to using Recon's experience as a baseline for comparison when making decisions, even though FORM's product and business are quite different.

As far as joining an early-stage startup goes, FORM is relatively low risk as it is well-funded and is led by already successful entrepreneurs and VCs.
Pros
Pretty office, fun culture, BFT - Friday Beer, food, tunes
Cons
Not a dog friendly office :(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FORM. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6