Foodland

Foodland Employee Reviews

Canada546 reviews
My main task at Foodland was Deli Clerk, which I enjoyed very much thanks to the great team of employees I got to work with. It was a fast-paced department with plenty of tasks to complete, making shifts go by fairly quick. I learned how to manage my time in order to cook, prepare and package food, keeping to a tight schedule. I was also trained in other departments. Staff is like family at Foodland, even when you leave, they remember you and are always happy to reconnect. Although it was a lot of work, especially when filling in for sick staff (which happened often), I refined my customer service skills and gained an excellent work ethic.
Pros
Great Staff Relationships
Cons
Under-staffing
No overtime. Managers paid minimum wage. Unqualified franchisees abuse and insult staff. Sobeys doesn't care. Won't help. They back the franchisee up to the point the franchisee publicly embarrasses the corporation. At which point they go get another unqualified franchisees to do the exact same thing to you
Pros
....you get paid? Unfairly but you get paid
Cons
Abuse, underpaid, management abuse
The staff is always willing to assist you. Management is always open to listen to you. Everyone wants to teach you something new. You don't even need to ask them. Whenever I have excess work staff from other department are always coming to help me competing them. They are wonderful.
They’re busy most of the time always have customers to serve or cleaning to be done they treat employees with respect but they don’t have good benefits and it’s shift work
I have worked for Foodland on & off for over 13 years. They are a great place to work - staff is easy to work with & if you need a day off - wedding or special event as long as they are given enough notice anything can be worked out.
I was let go from my full time job & was rehired there because of the coronavirus. I do hope to stay on after November but time will tell.

Again, I would recommend it to anyone that it is a great place to work - only downfall is benefits are not included.
Pros
Staff are easy to work with
Cons
No benefits
I was originally hired to take over a management position for the produce department but had to decline for personal reasons. The job itself was very straight forward and was easy to pick up on. I was given every opportunity for successful growth and had one of the best working experiences of my life working alongside some incredible people. My employer also encouraged his staff to be creative in displaying products. I also spent some time in the meat department to help cover other staff and eventually I was even doing grocery stocking. The good part about it is I was always given a choice and never forced to something outside of my scope of "produce job duties". Over-all it's an excellent place to work and I recommend it to anyone looking for part-time or full-time.
Pros
friendly staff, informative and helpful management, work pace
Cons
moving products from coolers and freezers
but I probably won't even go back there again , they like to talk behind each others back and think they are better than everyone else. I was let go because I called in sick twice in 1 week..
Pros
Worked in deli and the people in my department were fun to be with
Cons
most of the people there like to talk bad things about you
I have worked for foodland on and off for 3 years (off for better jobs) and they take me back every single time. I have nothing but good memories of my time here both for the COVID crisis and my time in the deli. The management is really understanding of hard working employees and they are always there for you to rely on. It is like a small family and we all get along well with great results and amazing teamwork. I have made lifelong friends and family at this place of employment and if any foodland is run as mine is, get in there. The pay is only minimum wage but it is amazing for Highschool students
Pros
Great staff, flexible hours, multiple areas of interest
Cons
Minimum wage, not easy to advance pay
You get paid lots and you get lots of hours/shift, though you can be overbooked and it can be stressful. Long hours as well. Employees are somewhat friendly, work environment is relaxing and even-paced. Lots of things to learn and do.
Pros
Paid well, long hours/lots of shifts
Cons
Long hours/not so friendly co-workers
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Foodland?
Very relaxed work environment with friendly coworkers. You are still able to work as well as have a personal life outside of work. Team work is needed.
Small grocery store have a good base for first job because you can't just do one thing you have to be able to do multiple thing. That means not just stocking the shelves with product but receiving the product, storing it in the warehouse area, maintaining a safe work environment(because you don't get you own space), having to deal with idea that have a temperature control component and of course dealing with customers.

A good test to see if you can survive in the work place.
Pros
simple work
Cons
management
It was a good place to work. I enjoyed interacting with the customers and I enjoyed selling lottery tickets. I learnt how to be quick when scanning items through, as well as multi-tasking from bagging, typing codes, communicating with customers and scanning items. It was organized at the front end and were super respecting when asking for time off. The hardest part of the job would be learning ow to work the OLG Lottery machine. I remembered a lot of costumers by their name, so I always enjoyed when they came through my till and we would catch up.
Pros
Friendly place to work and long breaks
Cons
No discounts for lunches
All of the staff, supervisors and management were all friendly and nice. The work environment had its slow times and its fast times. There is always something to do though.
A clean, upbeat atmosphere with always something to do.
A pleasure working alongside my co-workers and greeting/helping our customers. Would highly recommend.
So far Foodland has been nice to me and I enjoy my job
I like my co workers and it’s not stressful

My boss is nice and it’s a fun job

I like the atmosphere and it’s clean
Great place to work, very family oriented. I learned how to work efficiently in a team and in a fast paced environment. I also learned how to keep other workers inline to make sure they were doing their job correctly.
Minimum wage. No advancement in responsibility or wages. Good job for kids. Decent managers nice people, but a bit simple. Some have been there 90 years and it shows, and they expect someone part time to care as much as they do.
Nice co workers. Bad management. Very fast paced environment. Management limits hours to employees that don’t do a job flawlessly. No advancement opportunities
I got too much experience from
Food land about cashier and how to manage customer service and retail department. Moreover, I got to know about how to work in fulfillment
Overall, it's decent place to work. Co-workers are good to work with. Always busy and fast paced work environment. Satisfaction from serving the customers.
This was a very average minimum wage job. The hours are decent and management is good. Do not anticipate opportunities to move up within the company. The work is not particularly difficult.